Claerwen

Old October 20th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

Default Claerwen

I have been told that the building near the Claerwen reservoir
http://tinyurl.com/5s3ew
may be a bothy or other shelter. Does anyone here know if this
is true, or can anyone shed any light on the existence or
otherwise of an unlocked bothy in that area?
--
I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see me
as a dire warning.
Old October 20th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Fran :
I have been told that the building near the Claerwen reservoir
http://tinyurl.com/5s3ew
may be a bothy or other shelter. Does anyone here know if this
is true, or can anyone shed any light on the existence or
otherwise of an unlocked bothy in that area?

You mean that yellow dot marked Claerwen jsut by the bridge? No, I think
it's a house. I live within (jsut about) walking distance of this place,
and have been down there a few times. I recall it being a house. The track
alongside the reservoir is driveable (at least with a 4 wheel drive).

Why were you asking?

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old October 20th 04, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Fran :
I have been told that the building near the Claerwen reservoir
http://tinyurl.com/5s3ew
may be a bothy or other shelter. Does anyone here know if this
is true, or can anyone shed any light on the existence or
otherwise of an unlocked bothy in that area?

You mean that yellow dot marked Claerwen jsut by the bridge? No, I think
it's a house. I live within (jsut about) walking distance of this place,
and have been down there a few times. I recall it being a house. The track
alongside the reservoir is driveable (at least with a 4 wheel drive).

Why were you asking?

Shwmai Adrian - If the weather isn't too ghastly I'm considering
a weekend's wander with wild camp around the Teifi Pools area in
a couple of weeks' time. Someone on uk.rec.walking mentioned the
putative existence of a bothy, and there is mention of one here

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr049.html (under 'where
to stay')

and here
http://tinyurl.com/67ptf (Moel Prysgau bothy, SN 806611)

Although I think the latter is somewhere else, and of course
bothies tend to be closely guarded secrets from all but members
of the MBA.

Mind you, os bydd hi'n bwrw hen wragedd a^ ffin (I love that
phrase!) it's all bets off and I'll be finding somewhere with
stone walls and central heating as my 'base camp' - and then
heading up towards Aber to meet up with some friends for a meal.
BTW, and totally off-topic, but since you're here and might
know the answer... is the Tree House still open and serving the
most delicious organic and vegetarian nosh in the universe at
lunch times? I heard a rumour that it had gone 'posh' or even
closed down completely and thus no longer had its status of best
veggie caff in town.

BTW, dyn ni wedi cyfarfod mewn grw^p newyddion arall, ond yno fy
enw fi ydy rhywbeth arall, i rhesumau lost in the mists of time.
Bydda i'n wave iddi di y tro nesaf fy mod i'n yno :-)
Old October 24th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Wow Fran great Welsh there!

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Shwmai Adrian - If the weather isn't too ghastly I'm considering
a weekend's wander with wild camp around the Teifi Pools area in
a couple of weeks' time. Someone on uk.rec.walking mentioned the
putative existence of a bothy, and there is mention of one here

Now you really are talking walking distance of our house. There are
a number of ruined houses around, but the roofs are dodgy mostly.
I can't remember any right up around the pools though.

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr049.html (under 'where
to stay')

and hse
http://tinyurl.com/67ptf (Moel Prysgau bothy, SN 806611)

That doesn't seem to match the ref for the Claerwen house you gave before
though.

Mind you, os bydd hi'n bwrw hen wragedd a^ ffin (I love that
phrase!) it's all bets off and I'll be finding somewhere with
stone walls and central heating as my 'base camp' - and then
heading up towards Aber to meet up with some friends for a meal.

Like it is now, then! Actually it's just brightening as I write - time
to get back out into the garden I think.

BTW, and totally off-topic, but since you're here and might
know the answer... is the Tree House still open and serving the
most delicious organic and vegetarian nosh in the universe at
lunch times? I heard a rumour that it had gone 'posh' or even
closed down completely and thus no longer had its status of best
veggie caff in town.

Yes it's still open. My wife says that it's supposedly still good for cakes
and salads, though as you say it has gone up market.

BTW, dyn ni wedi cyfarfod mewn grw^p newyddion arall, ond yno fy
enw fi ydy rhywbeth arall, i rhesumau lost in the mists of time.
Bydda i'n wave iddi di y tro nesaf fy mod i'n yno :-)

Felly pwy wyt ti?! Actually I think maybe I can guess.

Adrian

Old October 24th 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
Wow Fran great Welsh there!

Diolch yn fawr iawn :-)

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Shwmai Adrian - If the weather isn't too ghastly I'm considering
a weekend's wander with wild camp around the Teifi Pools area in
a couple of weeks' time. Someone on uk.rec.walking mentioned the
putative existence of a bothy, and there is mention of one here

Now you really are talking walking distance of our house. There are
a number of ruined houses around, but the roofs are dodgy mostly.
I can't remember any right up around the pools though.

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr049.html (under 'where
to stay')

and hse
http://tinyurl.com/67ptf (Moel Prysgau bothy, SN 806611)

That doesn't seem to match the ref for the Claerwen house you gave before
though.

I know. One problem I've got is that I'm relying on Multimap at
the moment (can't remember if I mentioned this) as most of my
paper maps are in storage in preparation for major worlk on the
house. The idea of the weekend jaunt came out of the blue.

Mind you, os bydd hi'n bwrw hen wragedd a^ ffin (I love that
phrase!) it's all bets off and I'll be finding somewhere with
stone walls and central heating as my 'base camp' - and then
heading up towards Aber to meet up with some friends for a meal.

Like it is now, then! Actually it's just brightening as I write - time
to get back out into the garden I think.

Dw i wedi gwneud saethyddiaith dros y Sul 'ma, ger Llandeilo.
Roedd hi'n bwrw glaw ddoe; roedd well heddiw, ond wedyn bwrw glaw
eto.

BTW, and totally off-topic, but since you're here and might
know the answer... is the Tree House still open

Yes it's still open. My wife says that it's supposedly still good for cakes
and salads, though as you say it has gone up market.

Thanks.

BTW, dyn ni wedi cyfarfod mewn grw^p newyddion arall, ond yno fy
enw fi ydy rhywbeth arall, i rhesumau lost in the mists of time.
Bydda i'n wave iddi di y tro nesaf fy mod i'n yno :-)

Felly pwy wyt ti?! Actually I think maybe I can guess.

Dw i'n credu dy fod ti'n nabod :-)
Old October 29th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Fran :
I know. One problem I've got is that I'm relying on Multimap at
the moment (can't remember if I mentioned this) as most of my
paper maps are in storage in preparation for major worlk on the
house. The idea of the weekend jaunt came out of the blue.

Oh well, if you can't get the maps, pop round to our place and you can
borrow mine for your walk. You may even get a cup of tea before you start
out!

Adrian
Old November 1st 04, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Fran :
Thanks! In the end though rain and a concern about the water
levels in the area stopped play, and I ended up spending a quiet
weekend at a friend's house near Llanwrda playing with his
mother's goats and teasing the various cats. I still intend to
explore the Teifi Pools area more thoroughly than I have so far,
but maybe I'll wait now until the spring.

That was probably wise. It's been pretty wet up here, nearly a foot of rain
in October! Anyway, forecast for this week is looking good, so it may have
dried out a bit by next weekend. But the boggy areas can be treacherous
even when it's not too wet (i.e. you can sink in them - I heard of someone
locally who only just escaped with her life).

Adrian

Old November 2nd 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Judith

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:34:06 -0000, Fran wrote:

the friend I stayed with fixed the handbrake on my
minibus for me, so it wasn't a wasted weekend :-)

You were looking for a gadget for your handbrake, weren't you?

Is that no longer required? Good friend to have!

Judith