Looking for opinions, advices and tips about solar ovens

Old November 13th 04, 04:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping,uk.rec.camping
Jose

Default Looking for opinions, advices and tips about solar ovens

Have you ever used a solar oven for cooking? I have been thinking
about buy a solar oven, but I do not know if it is worthy and an
effective way for cooking foods. Can you give me your experienced
opinion about this ecological, safer and maybe cheaper way of cooking?
If it is a good way of cooking could you give me advices and tips
about it.

If you do not know what is a solar oven, please check the web site of
this portuguese manufacturer of solar ovens, which I found to have the
best prices in my country for this product, I found other
manufacturers in germany but their prices were higher.
http://www.sun-co.pt

Waiting for your comments,

Thanks
Jose
Old November 13th 04, 06:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping,uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:29:05 -0800, Jose wrote:

Have you ever used a solar oven for cooking? I have been thinking
about buy a solar oven, but I do not know if it is worthy and an
effective way for cooking foods. Can you give me your experienced
opinion about this ecological, safer and maybe cheaper way of cooking?
If it is a good way of cooking could you give me advices and tips
about it.

No point in posting this to uk.rec.camping unless someone can devise an
oven that's rain powered

Old November 13th 04, 08:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping,uk.rec.camping
Cyli[_2_]

On 12 Nov 2004 21:29:05 -0800, (Jose) wrote:

Have you ever used a solar oven for cooking? I have been thinking
about buy a solar oven, but I do not know if it is worthy and an
effective way for cooking foods. Can you give me your experienced
opinion about this ecological, safer and maybe cheaper way of cooking?
If it is a good way of cooking could you give me advices and tips
about it.

If you do not know what is a solar oven, please check the web site of
this portuguese manufacturer of solar ovens, which I found to have the
best prices in my country for this product, I found other
manufacturers in germany but their prices were higher.
http://www.sun-co.pt

They all take a long time to cook. Look at the FAQ on this one. You
can't exactly wander around backpacking every day and expect to have
dinner in the evening. You have to have a certain amount of
guaranteed sun.

This is a wonderful device for fuel poor third world countries and
nice for the ecology in richer countries where it can be used in place
of or in addition to existing fuel using appliances on sunny days.
Sucks for camping.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)
Old November 13th 04, 08:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping,uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
If you do not know what is a solar oven, please check the web site of
this portuguese manufacturer of solar ovens, which I found to have the
best prices in my country for this product, I found other
manufacturers in germany but their prices were higher.
http://www.sun-co.pt

I like the idea of a solar powered oven and were I camping
anywhere other than in the UK I might consider using one;
however the website cited above was such that I didn't bother
trying to find out any real information such as prices etc
because it was such a pain to load. All that animation and
flashywotnot on every page does nothing for my temper, and
especially not first thing in the morning.
--
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is
probably the day that they start making vacuum cleaners."
Old November 13th 04, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping,uk.rec.camping
Laura

An experiment you can do is to set up a home made solar oven in your
backyard.

Find a cardboard box just large enough to fit a covered cooking pot into.
Fold the flaps into or outside the box as added insulation. Now find a
cardboard box 3-4" larger than the first in all dimensions. IE: 1st box is
12 x 12 x 12 the 2nd box should be 16 x 16 x 14 to 16H. Put the smaller box
into the larger one using newspaper scrunched up and place it between the
boxes for more insulation. Don't forget to insulate the bottom.

Now put food in the pot, cover it and put it in the "oven". Place a piece
of glass on top of the oven flat, this will amplify the heat. Place a
mirror tile (available at home stores) angled to catch the sun's rays and
reflect it into the box oven. It takes all day, the same as if it were a
slow cook crockpot.

I did this experiment with my daughter when we were home schooling. This
was in New Hampshire in the winter, but it still worked. It was easy, fun
to do and did in fact cook dinner for us that night. Ours was simple canned
chili, but I'm guessing it would work well with "real food" too.

If this works for you, terrific. If the experiment failed you are out 1
meal, and 1 or 2 mirror tiles and a piece of gas. The boxes and newspaper
are probably lying around your house already.
Laura

om...

Old November 14th 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd martin :
I'm looking for a spam powered central heating system :-)

I did hear of a guy who signed up to all the junk mail stuff he could fund
and ran his central heating off that.

Of course this could just be an urban myth...

(hmm *thinks*... there must be a fair few kilojoules in one of those
Littlewoods catalogues)

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old November 24th 04, 07:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,alt.rec.camping,uk.rec.camping
Paddy[_2_]

Laura
Very interesting,
An old convex shaving mirror would have speeded up the cooking, but the rest
as you stated.
Paddy
"Laura" wrote in message
. ..
[...]