Waterproof Jacket

Old December 4th 04, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Y Cymro

Default Waterproof Jacket

I am looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket for general hill walking,
as well as outdoor pastimes including birdwatching.. I had more or less
settled on a Berghaus Cornice, when I saw ads in the birdwatching pres for
Ventile jackets, and the paramo range of clothing.

Does anyone have expereince of these garments/materials and how do they fare
against the well established Goretex?

Old December 4th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Bob Hobden

david wrote ...
I am looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket for general hill walking,
as well as outdoor pastimes including birdwatching.. I had more or less
settled on a Berghaus Cornice, when I saw ads in the birdwatching pres for
Ventile jackets, and the paramo range of clothing.

Does anyone have expereince of these garments/materials and how do they
fare against the well established Goretex?

I too have decided on a Berghaus Cornice 11A (wife already uses one), it's a
nice and long jacket for walking, but the colour I want it in is
Mallard/Midnight and I can't find a stockist either on the web or anywhere
else. I've tried all the Berghaus stockists in Kingston-upon-Thames and
Guildford and Peglars in Arundel and all they stock is Cranberry like the
wife's, dark green and dark blue.
I've finally e-mailed Berghause for suggestions.

Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Old December 4th 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Andy Howell

On 4/12/04 3:59 pm, in article , "Y
Cymro" wrote:

I am looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket for general hill walking,
as well as outdoor pastimes including birdwatching.. I had more or less
settled on a Berghaus Cornice, when I saw ads in the birdwatching pres for
Ventile jackets, and the paramo range of clothing.

Does anyone have expereince of these garments/materials and how do they fare
against the well established Goretex?

I only really discovered Paramo this year and am very impressed. I use a
Velez smock for much of the year, rather like you might use a Windstopper
jacket. Now we are into winter I'm using an Alta II jacket which I find is
superb.

Some people do find Paramo to be too hot but I think this is much
exaggerated and you can use a base layer and Paramo jacket to replace base,
mid and shell layers.

Their material is very breathable. Last weekend I was walking the North
Downs way. On Saturday the weather was quite warm but the jacket was still
comfortable. The venting kept my cool until lunch and then as the
temperature dropped I closed it up. When you're walking hard you can often
feel the dampness on the outside of the jacket, showing just how the
materiel does manage to move water out from inside of the jacket.

I am not the coldest of runners and think Paramo is very comfortable -
certainly better than sweating in a Windstopper top.

I suspect that many reviewers haven't really lived with this stuff on the
hills. And when the rain comes Paramo really comes into its own.

I don't think I will be changing for a while!

--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK

Old December 5th 04, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
KGB

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 17:51:20 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
SNIP
I too have decided on a Berghaus Cornice 11A (wife already uses one), it's a
nice and long jacket for walking, but the colour I want it in is
Mallard/Midnight and I can't find a stockist either on the web or anywhere
else. I've tried all the Berghaus stockists in Kingston-upon-Thames and
Guildford and Peglars in Arundel and all they stock is Cranberry like the
wife's, dark green and dark blue.
I've finally e-mailed Berghause for suggestions.

Hi Bob

Try Gaynor Sports, Ambleside - web page http://www.gaynors.co.uk/

From their web site it looks as though they have them in stock in any
colour you like and any size you like. The page you want is:-
http://www.gaynors.co.uk/shop/16/27/19/index.htm

I have never tried their web ordering service but their shop is always
my first stop whenever I am in Ambleside and have found them to be
efficient and reliable.

They also have a factory outlet (also online) and if you are lucky you
can get some bargains - by coincidence I visited the shop only last
week and bought a Berghaus Couloir jacket in the factory outlet
department at 60 off the RRP.

I have no connection with Gaynor Sports whatever other than being a
customer for a long time.

Regards

KGB

Old December 5th 04, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Bob Hobden

"KGB wrote in reply to
"Bob Hobden" who wrote:
SNIP
I too have decided on a Berghaus Cornice 11A (wife already uses one), it's
nice and long jacket for walking, but the colour I want it in is
Mallard/Midnight and I can't find a stockist either on the web or anywhere
else. I've tried all the Berghaus stockists in Kingston-upon-Thames and
Guildford and Peglars in Arundel and all they stock is Cranberry like the
wife's, dark green and dark blue.
I've finally e-mailed Berghause for suggestions.

Hi Bob

Try Gaynor Sports, Ambleside - web page http://www.gaynors.co.uk/

From their web site it looks as though they have them in stock in any
colour you like and any size you like. The page you want is:-
http://www.gaynors.co.uk/shop/16/27/19/index.htm

I have never tried their web ordering service but their shop is always
my first stop whenever I am in Ambleside and have found them to be
efficient and reliable. ((SNIP))

I have ordered my jacket today and it's still 10 cheaper after
postage.Thank you.

Old December 5th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Dafydd Ap Arwyn

Ysgrifennodd "Y Cymro" mewn neges
I am looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket for general hill walking,
as well as outdoor pastimes including birdwatching.. I had more or less
settled on a Berghaus Cornice, when I saw ads in the birdwatching pres for
Ventile jackets, and the paramo range of clothing.

Does anyone have expereince of these garments/materials and how do they
fare against the well established Goretex?

Well, i just bought a paramo, and i must say it seems to perform well...
but i have no experience of the Berghaus so cant say.
Ideal this time of year, where i found myself comfy saturday up on Elidir
Fawr with just a Viento and a smelly helly baselayer (which for once, was
more sweetsmelling helly).
Didnt have to swap layers, or any messing about. just did what it was meant
to.

Hwyl.
Dave Roberts

Old December 6th 04, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
RustY

"Y Cymro" wrote in message
I am looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket for general hill walking,

For me, no one jacket will do this job. I find that the temperature, wind
and where I am going all have to be considered before I choose which jacket
to wear in the morning. 'Burger-House' can be a very expensive brand to
'not use' for long periods, so I have four cheaper coats that together cost
less than a 'Burger' but give me greater flexibility.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Old December 7th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Bob Hobden

"KGB wrote SNIP
Try Gaynor Sports, Ambleside - web page http://www.gaynors.co.uk/

From their web site it looks as though they have them in stock in any
colour you like and any size you like. The page you want is:-
http://www.gaynors.co.uk/shop/16/27/19/index.htm

I have never tried their web ordering service but their shop is always
my first stop whenever I am in Ambleside and have found them to be
efficient and reliable. ((SNIP))

I have ordered my jacket today and it's still 10 cheaper after
postage.Thank you.

Amazing service, ordered my jacket on Sunday the 5th, presumably they only
saw it on Monday the 6th, jacket delivered at almost the other end of the
country on the morning of Tuesday the 7th.
Well done Gaynors I will be using you again, oh, and thanks again KGB.