Can someone point me to a beginners faq about camping.

Old December 8th 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Wilson

Default Can someone point me to a beginners faq about camping.

Basically I fancy doing a fairly rough and cheap camping holiday.
Basically what I can carry on a bike and nothing more.

Where can I put up a tent for free etc.

I basically need a beginners guid to very basic camping. Minimum
equipment info etc.
Old December 8th 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:41:46 +0000, Martin Wilson wrote:

Basically I fancy doing a fairly rough and cheap camping holiday.
Basically what I can carry on a bike and nothing more.

Where can I put up a tent for free etc.

I basically need a beginners guid to very basic camping. Minimum
equipment info etc.

I'm not sure such exists as an FAQ ; but there's probably a website if you
look around on rough camping.

Old December 9th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dr KC

"Martin Wilson" wrote in message
Basically I fancy doing a fairly rough and cheap camping holiday.
Basically what I can carry on a bike and nothing more.

Where can I put up a tent for free etc.

I basically need a beginners guid to very basic camping. Minimum
equipment info etc.

If you've got some camping experience, just get up and do it.
If you've never camped, I would recommend going away for one or two nights
first. Aside from obtaining some fairly essential experience, you'll also be
able to work out what you need and what you don't. Which is going to be
vital if you want to get it all on a bike.

Old December 9th 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:06:20 GMT, "Dr KC" wrote:

| "Martin Wilson" wrote in message
| Basically I fancy doing a fairly rough and cheap camping holiday.
| Basically what I can carry on a bike and nothing more.
|
| Where can I put up a tent for free etc.
|
| I basically need a beginners guid to very basic camping. Minimum
| equipment info etc.
|
| If you've got some camping experience, just get up and do it.
| If you've never camped, I would recommend going away for one or two nights
| first.

Somewhere near home so that you can go back for whatever you have
forgotten.

| Aside from obtaining some fairly essential experience, you'll also be
| able to work out what you need and what you don't. Which is going to be
| vital if you want to get it all on a bike.

Pitch the tent in the garden first.

Start a list of everything you need.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

Old December 9th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
Start a list of everything you need.

....And then halve it :-)
--
I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see
me as a dire warning.
Old December 10th 04, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.camping

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:28:50 -0000, Fran wrote:

| said...
| Start a list of everything you need.
|
| ...And then halve it :-)

Only *you* can know what you really need.

--
Dave F
Old December 10th 04, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:29:56 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

| If you've got some camping experience, just get up and do it.
| If you've never camped, I would recommend going away for one or two nights
| first.

Somewhere near home so that you can go back for whatever you have
forgotten.

Or near a decent camp shop....

Old December 10th 04, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:56:46 +0000, Paul Robson wrote:

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:29:56 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

| If you've got some camping experience, just get up and do it.
| If you've never camped, I would recommend going away for one or two nights
| first.

Somewhere near home so that you can go back for whatever you have
forgotten.

Or near a decent camp shop....

I suppose you need (let's be proactive here).

Shelter - a tent of some sort probably.
Sleeping Bag
Something to lie on (they do roll up lightweight mats ?) - optional ?
A small stove/burner to cook on.
Water carrier (lightweight)
Cooking utensils ; a pan or something could double as a bowl.
Eating utensils ; knife and fork ; knife for cutting.
Can/Bottle opener (depends how much you plan to rough it !)
A torch