Ski

Old October 12th 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rabbit

Default Ski

Has anyone ever used their caravan as a base for a ski holiday?
I fancy doing some winter travelling and letting the kids practice their
sking

TIA

Old October 12th 03, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Rabbit" wrote in message
Has anyone ever used their caravan as a base for a ski holiday?
I fancy doing some winter travelling and letting the kids practice their
sking

Where had you in mind the UK or mainland Europe?

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old October 13th 03, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:06:15 +0100, "Rabbit"
wrote:

| Has anyone ever used their caravan as a base for a ski holiday?
| I fancy doing some winter travelling and letting the kids practice their
| sking

Come to snowy Castleford ;-)
Xscape NOW OPEN Junction 23 M62,
http://www.amc-comm.demon.co.uk/castlefo.htm

Dave F
Old October 13th 03, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rabbit

I was thinking of the continent -don't get real snow in the UK

Where had you in mind the UK or mainland Europe?

Old October 13th 03, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Rabbit" wrote in message
I was thinking of the continent -don't get real snow in the UK

Where had you in mind the UK or mainland Europe?

We have stayed at a site in Le Grand Bonnard which is about 20 miles east of
Annecy. I got talking to this Dutch guy who said that he had spent Christmas
at the site,L'Scale, he said that he had to have snow chains of both car and
van. We have only been there in June so not able to personally comment on
suitability of access in the winter. It is a beautiful region and there are
ski lifts a short walk from the campsite. Have a look at my web site, below,
for details on the site.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old October 14th 03, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John D

We've done this for a few years now. We've gone to Camping L'Oustalet in
Chatel (Portes de Soleil),
http://www.valdabondance.com/vallee/...ton_shcked.htm
but only in the Easter holidays, so not real winter conditions.

The site is geared up to skiing with heated facilities (good standard), ski
storage etc, the ski hire shop a hundred metres from the site has an
English owner (and usually English/Aussie ski bums as assistants). The
resort has plenty of runs and even when we go at the end of the season
there's plenty of snow and runs open. There's a free shuttle bus system,
with a stop right outside the site.
The site owners only speak French, but we've found no problems
communicating with pidgin French and sign language!
Just make sure you've plenty of propane, stock up on the local wines (the
Haut Savoie wines are light and very palatable) and have a good time!

If you go in the depths of winter, you'll probably need snow chains,
although every time we've been there the roads have been completely clear.
Snow chains were much cheaper in the local supermarket than back in England!

Give it a try - it's great fun

John D

Old October 15th 03, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TMC

Stayed at Bourg St Maurice for snowboarding at Les Arcs
Need snow chains for car.

Beware of things freezing in van while travelling. it can get very cold
inside with windchill through vents. Water pipes also cross some vents on my
van

Had to make some adjustments to use of van e.g. awnings don't work well with
heavy snow they collapse
Better to use a bucket for waste water easier to empty when frozen
Had cold water container on pump connection in bathroom
Must use propane gas
Ran fan heater all of the time

Loved it all would do it every year if I had the time

Tony