Camping with small children - advice needed!

Old January 3rd 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
jim

Default Camping with small children - advice needed!

My wife and I are thinking of trying camping with our three children (aged
1, 3 and 5).

We are bewildered by the massive range of tents and equipment and would be
grateful if anyone has recommendations of what would be useful/essential,
and the sort of tent we should be looking out for. Is there a good book or
website or something that lists the sort of thing we would need?

Similarly, any insight into whether camping with small children is advisable
would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Old January 3rd 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Darren G

In article ,
says...
My wife and I are thinking of trying camping with our three children (aged
1, 3 and 5).

We are bewildered by the massive range of tents and equipment and would be
grateful if anyone has recommendations of what would be useful/essential,
and the sort of tent we should be looking out for. Is there a good book or
website or something that lists the sort of thing we would need?

Similarly, any insight into whether camping with small children is advisable
would be appreciated...

We're just thinking of doing the same with our kids (5 & 2), if only so
they & missus stop moaning about me disappearing walking & camping!

We've been looking at tents as well, and current thinking is probably to
get a multi-section dome, with 'arms' coming off a central dome, and use
two as sleeping 'compartments' with the third for storing the ton of
junk we're bound to have to take. This leaves the central dome as a
living area as I don;t fancy being stuck in a tent in the rain with kids
unless they have an area to play in. Vango amongst others have some
such 6- 9-man tents.

But being used to 1- and 2-man tents the size of these things puts me
off. Both in terms of actually pitching them and finding a campsite
with pitches big enough in the first place. Does anybody use these
tents and are these fears justified?

Thanks

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng
Old January 3rd 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Darren G
writes
In article ,
says...
My wife and I are thinking of trying camping with our three children (aged
1, 3 and 5).

We are bewildered by the massive range of tents and equipment and would be
grateful if anyone has recommendations of what would be useful/essential,
and the sort of tent we should be looking out for. Is there a good book or
website or something that lists the sort of thing we would need?

Similarly, any insight into whether camping with small children is advisable
would be appreciated...

We're just thinking of doing the same with our kids (5 & 2), if only so
they & missus stop moaning about me disappearing walking & camping!

It's great the kids love it.

We've been looking at tents as well, and current thinking is probably to
get a multi-section dome, with 'arms' coming off a central dome, and use
two as sleeping 'compartments' with the third for storing the ton of
junk we're bound to have to take. This leaves the central dome as a
living area as I don;t fancy being stuck in a tent in the rain with kids
unless they have an area to play in. Vango amongst others have some
such 6- 9-man tents.

we have large Kyham, it's great.

But being used to 1- and 2-man tents the size of these things puts me
off.

It is a different experience......

Both in terms of actually pitching them

Pitching takes longer than single pole that's for sure, and pitching our
Kyham for the first time is serious winds in Northumberland was
'interesting', but we managed with help from others on the campsite.

and finding a campsite
with pitches big enough in the first place.

We've had no problem so far, though it would possibly be tight fit on
some pitches.

Does anybody use these
tents

Yes, and plenty of others, look at the campsites.

and are these fears justified?

On the whole no, but 'big tent' camping with family is a different
experience to solo lightweight camping.

--
Chris French

Old January 3rd 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:14:07 -0000, "jim" wrote:

| My wife and I are thinking of trying camping with our three children (aged
| 1, 3 and 5).
|
| We are bewildered by the massive range of tents and equipment and would be
| grateful if anyone has recommendations of what would be useful/essential,
| and the sort of tent we should be looking out for.

Big enough for Mum, Dad and dependent kids.
Mum Dad and tiny kids in the same compartment.

When old enough 7 - 10 they will love having a pup to themselves.

| Is there a good book or
| website or something that lists the sort of thing we would need?
|
| Similarly, any insight into whether camping with small children is advisable
| would be appreciated...

We have camped with healthy children a few months old in carry cots.
Hard work, but no insurmountable problems.

--
Dave F
Old January 3rd 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:14:07 -0000, "jim" wrote:

We are bewildered by the massive range of tents and equipment and would be
grateful if anyone has recommendations of what would be useful/essential,
and the sort of tent we should be looking out for. Is there a good book or
website or something that lists the sort of thing we would need?

I don't know about a website or book, but I can recommend tents!

I wouldn't recommend going backpack camping with kids so will you be
camping out of a car boot? If so I'd go either for a large hoop
"tunnel" tent if you can cope with all sleeping together, or a large
dome tent with multiple "rooms" for if you prefer a bit of privacy.

A sleeping bag each, some form of roll mat each (or even better one of
thise very very thin self-inflating airbed style things if you can
afford it, they aren't cheap!)

Then what else you want to take depends on how much cash you have, and
where you plan to camp. Do you plan camping in a camp site, if so one
that has toilet / showers / even (luxury!) a kitchen or kettle?
Probably best if this is your first time.

Take plenty for the kids to do...

Similarly, any insight into whether camping with small children is advisable
would be appreciated...

I think it's a great idea. I have been camping with friends and their
godson (who was about 3 months at the time) without the benefit of a
camp site. What a great introduction to life this would be for your
kids!

Cheers
--
To email me remove .lartsspammers
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
Old January 3rd 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Darren G

In article , newspost-c-002
@familyfrench.co.uk says...
In message , Darren G
writes
In article ,
says...

[...]

We've been looking at tents as well, and current thinking is probably to
get a multi-section dome, with 'arms' coming off a central dome, and use
two as sleeping 'compartments' with the third for storing the ton of
junk we're bound to have to take. This leaves the central dome as a
living area as I don;t fancy being stuck in a tent in the rain with kids
unless they have an area to play in. Vango amongst others have some
such 6- 9-man tents.

we have large Kyham, it's great.

Thanks. Will take a look at them

and finding a campsite
with pitches big enough in the first place.

We've had no problem so far, though it would possibly be tight fit on
some pitches.

OK. Thanks. valuable info.

Does anybody use these
tents

Yes, and plenty of others, look at the campsites.

Campsite? What's a campsite?! This will be the biggest change. I'm
worried that I may get to like my running water coming out of a tap
rather than the ground!

Thanks for the info.
--
Darren
mail to darren not ng
Old January 3rd 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Graham Drabble

On 03 Jan 2005 Darren G wrote in
:

But being used to 1- and 2-man tents the size of these things puts
me off. Both in terms of actually pitching them and finding a
campsite with pitches big enough in the first place. Does anybody
use these tents and are these fears justified?

The second shouldn't be a major issue. The first is worth considering
though. I've watched a couple taking down a 4 pod, 7' high dome in
strong wind and rain and they struggled[0]. I think manufacturers
assume there will be a similar number pitching and striking tents as
are meant to sleep in them.

[0] I was arriving on site for the second day of a DofE silver, once
our tents were up we went and helped, with 7 people it came down quite
well.
--
Graham Drabble
If you're interested in what goes on in other groups or want to find
Old January 3rd 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Les

"jim" wrote in message
My wife and I are thinking of trying camping with our three children (aged
1, 3 and 5).

We are bewildered by the massive range of tents and equipment and would be
grateful if anyone has recommendations of what would be useful/essential,
and the sort of tent we should be looking out for. Is there a good book or
website or something that lists the sort of thing we would need?

Similarly, any insight into whether camping with small children is
advisable
would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Try this forum.... Load of advice freely given

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/... ThreadPage=1

Les.

Old January 4th 05, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

jim wrote:

My wife and I are thinking of trying camping with our three children (aged
1, 3 and 5).

We are bewildered by the massive range of tents and equipment and would be
grateful if anyone has recommendations of what would be useful/essential,
and the sort of tent we should be looking out for. Is there a good book or
website or something that lists the sort of thing we would need?

Similarly, any insight into whether camping with small children is
advisable would be appreciated...

I'd recommend going to a good local shop with plenty of different tents to
look at and people who know what they're talking about. I'd recommend my
local (Norwich Camping and Caravanning) which of course may be useless if
you live in Inverness.... if you post where you are someone may recommend
someone. A place where they won't simply flog you stuff.

Regarding your tent, assuming you can't borrow one I'd look at a basic dome
or tunnel tent. You will have to think about how you want your sleeping
space arranged - do you want seperate "rooms" or one big space. They are
fairly easy to put up and lightweight. We had a Gelert Dome+Porch for 4
(designed for 5,which would have been a squeeze, I'd be inclined to get
something designed for 6 - especially if you camp somewhere with erratic
weather)

As a try out you could maybe try something like Eurocamp or Eurosites. I
don't like those sorts of sites personally, but it would allow you to try
it out without having to buy all the equipment - especially for a one year
old.

We took our son camping when he was about 2 1/2. Once he got used to the
strangeness of it he was fine. However, they will probably be up with the
lark

Old January 4th 05, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

Darren G wrote:

But being used to 1- and 2-man tents the size of these things puts me
off.**Both*in*terms*of*actually*pitching*them*and* finding*a*campsite
with pitches big enough in the first place.**Does*anybody*use*these
tents and are these fears justified?

Never had a problem with either. Certainly preferable to the old ridge tent.
The only hard thing was getting the tent back into its carrying case
afterwards