Norcenni Girasole, Florence

Old January 18th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

Default Norcenni Girasole, Florence

After years of independant camping in France we've decided to branch out
a bit.The Norcenni Girasole is in the Haven catalogue, but we'll prolly
book independently. Has anyone been there? Is it half as good as it
looks and how's it likely to be in early season?

Oh, and anyone been camping by plane?!

Thanks!

Liz

Old February 17th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
tboy

FF wrote:
After years of independant camping in France we've decided to branch

out
a bit.The Norcenni Girasole is in the Haven catalogue, but we'll

prolly
book independently. Has anyone been there? Is it half as good as it
looks and how's it likely to be in early season?

Oh, and anyone been camping by plane?!

Thanks!

Liz

Hi,

this is the first time I have responded to a google thread, but i saw
your post, and felt it was worth signing up to answer!

I first went to Girasole as a teenager with my family nine years ago. I
met my current girlfriend on that holday, so it has a place in my
heart!
I returned three years later, and had yet another wonderful holiday.
I'm now 27, and we are going back to Girasole in August. There are many
english speaking staff, a good supermarket (tip- get the guy behind the
deli counter to make up the best sarnies for pennies). There are a few
bars, internet access, a spa, two or three pools. There is a pizza
takeaway that does amazing pizzas for a couple of quid. There are two
restaurants, one has a real wood fired charcoal grill, doing excellent
steaks and chicken. Their veg fritatta is heavenly. There is a
nightclub that is soundproofed to prevent disturbance, and lamas that
spit at you if you get to close! The owner is a charming local, who is
rumoured to have mob connections!! The campsite has a sister campsite
within walking distance of Florence city centre called Michealangelo-
but there is no pool. Speaking of Florence- it's well worth a trip, not
far on the train, and would be criminal to miss it. There are mopeds to
hire, and horserides to go on through the beautiful countryside. There
is a "interesting" Chinese restaurant in town which makes an
alternative if you get bored of the same food.

Phew- if there's anything else you want to know, just ask!!

Old February 20th 05, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
OG

"FF" wrote in message
After years of independant camping in France we've decided to branch

out
a bit.The Norcenni Girasole is in the Haven catalogue, but we'll

prolly
book independently. Has anyone been there? Is it half as good as it
looks and how's it likely to be in early season?

In general, if you are used to 3 and 4 star French sites, you may find
that Italian sites are not up to the same standard, but Girasole is
definitely up to the mark, beautifully sited, well laid out and lots of
organised activities if you want to stay close to your base.

We stayed there for a week with Canvas Holidays 5 or 6 years ago. It was
a very well run site, with excellent facilities - the staff were
recruited from all over Europe and US, and were very good. The only
oddity is that you are given a payment card that you charge up with cash
/ plastic or TC, and payments on the site are made using the card. This
works very well, and any balance is simply refunded when you book out.

As with many Italian sites, you may not be able to park directly next to
your pitch. We were there in late May, and were lucky that we could park
on an empty terrace behind our tent. If you were hoping to use your car
battery to run lights to the tent you may be disappointed. At high
season, you probably would have to park in at the site entrance.

For us, the most magical thing was the presence of fireflies, we've
never seen so many -walking around the site in early evening was
brilliant.

Oh, and anyone been camping by plane?!

As for fly-camping, the 3 day drive to Florence pursuaded us that flying
was the only way to visit Italy. We've flown twice (Easter 2003 flying
into Pisa and driving down to Sorrento), and last year (Flying into Rome
and visiting Puglia and Sicily).

I guess the biggest issue is weight - low cost airlines (Easyjet,
Ryanair) have significantly lower limits than others, we've flown
BMIBaby and British Airways who had reasonable allowances (20kg and 23kg
respectively) and managed to avoid excess charges with 2 adults & 2
children.

Another thing to think about is the problem of taking cooking gear on a
plane - gas cylinders / bottles are forbidden, so you need to buy on
arrival and abandon before returning. We bought a small solid fuel
burner that we could use for the first night which worked surprisingly
well and we also used it for emergencies.

Our Italian car hire was arranged throught Holiday Autos, who
automatically cover the insurance excess in the event of an accident;
that can be worth big in the event of a claim. Collecting Tesco
Clubcard vouchers can be worthwhile here - their value is multiplied 4
times when used for Holiday Autos, so we had about 130 worth that paid
for 520 worth of car hire.

Hope this helps