British Army Ration - shelf life ?

Old January 20th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adam Bentley

Default British Army Ration - shelf life ?

I was wondering if anyone knows the shelf-life of British Army 24 hour
ration packs. I have a couple of old(ish) ones and want to know how
good they will before I eat them in the middle of the pennines 8=)
Old January 20th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Graham[_2_]

"Adam Bentley" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone knows the shelf-life of British Army 24 hour
ration packs. I have a couple of old(ish) ones and want to know how
good they will before I eat them in the middle of the pennines 8=)

Try one - If you get stomach cramps/vomiting, then don't have any more !

If they are dried rations, then they'll last a long long time, if the
newer, boil int' bag type, then a shorter (2 years springs to mind ?)
period.
( Just checked - 3 years - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3575038.stm )

No Use by date on them ??

Graham

Old January 21st 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd martin :
No Use by date on them ??

It's after they pass the date, that MOD sells them to the general
public.

Isn't that illegal?

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old January 21st 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:09:46 -0000, Fran wrote:

| said...
| Felly sgrifennodd martin :
| No Use by date on them ??
|
| It's after they pass the date, that MOD sells them to the general
| public.
|
| Isn't that illegal?
|
| I'd have thought so, unless it is stated clearly on the
| container that the date has passed. There is a shop near me
| that occasionally sells things like biscuits and chocolate
| that have passed their sell-by date; they get away with it by
| reducing the price considerably and stating that the goods are
| out of date. It's then up to the buyer whether or not to take
| the chance.

True, we have a shop near us where everything is near or past its best
before date.

Sell by dates are not official any more and can be ignored.
There are now only two sorts of dates which matter:

Use By dates which have a health and safety implication. It is best to
throw away things which have passed the Use By date,

Best Before dates which indicate that the *manufacturer* thinks that after
that the *quality* might not be a good as they would like. They are IMO
used to make you throw away perfectly good food, and buy some more. One can
safely ignore Best Before dates. Even then it is a good idea to use the
oldest first.

--
Dave F
Old January 28th 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rory Manton

I , personally, have eaten GS (boil in the bag) rats of about 4 years (IIRC)
out of date with no probs whatso ever.

Mind you as an ex squaddy the opportunity to eat a BITB GS rat is never
refused.