Campsite prices

Old January 21st 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Weston

Default Campsite prices

I was wondering what you guys would consider to be reasonable prices for
various types of camp site. I've only had one summer at it, and I've tended
towards the bigger sites, but I'm finding they cost up to 15 a night for a
small tent pitch. Now, call me Parsimonious Pete if you like, but that
seems a bit pricey to me. I may be a fair-weather car-camper, but all I
want is a bit of grass and a toilet and shower available on site. I'd have
thought that 8-9 would be more like it. Back in my youth it seemed that
you could get a pitch for a fiver on a decent site.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris Weston

Old January 21st 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Chris Weston :
I'm finding they cost up to 15 a night for a
small tent pitch.

That's a lot, even for somewhere with excellent facilities. We've never paid
more than GBP11.50 in the UK, and only once paid more than GBP15 outside the
UK (where we do most of our camping).

all I
want is a bit of grass and a toilet and shower available on site. I'd have
thought that 8-9 would be more like it

For just decent grass, toilet and shower, even that is on the high side.
I'd reckon on GBP5-8 for that. We stayed at a nice site on Mull a couple
of years ago for GBP3, but that only had a toilet (no shower).

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old January 21st 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Darren G

In article , chris.weston
says...
I was wondering what you guys would consider to be reasonable prices for
various types of camp site. I've only had one summer at it, and I've tended
towards the bigger sites, but I'm finding they cost up to 15 a night for a
small tent pitch. Now, call me Parsimonious Pete if you like, but that
seems a bit pricey to me. I may be a fair-weather car-camper, but all I
want is a bit of grass and a toilet and shower available on site. I'd have
thought that 8-9 would be more like it. Back in my youth it seemed that
you could get a pitch for a fiver on a decent site.

Anybody got any thoughts?

yeah. rip-off!!

Even for a fully equipped site that is high.

Late last summer was the last time I was on a site (tend to wild camp)
and then I think we were paying 4 pppn at Angel Falls in Snowdonia
(I.e. pretty touristy). This site while just a hard dry field had good
showers and loos, and a bar within crawling distance!

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng
Old January 21st 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB

Chris Weston wrote:

I was wondering what you guys would consider to be reasonable prices for
various types of camp site. I've only had one summer at it, and I've tended
towards the bigger sites, but I'm finding they cost up to 15 a night for a
small tent pitch.

Anybody got any thoughts?

The worst I've come across was three years ago on the Isle of Wight when
a site near Whitwell tried to charge me 17.50 - for a 2-man lightweight
tent and two cycles.

I get annoyed that many sites charge the same for a lightweight tent
and bicycle as they do for a large family frame tent accompanied by a
polluting, surface damaging, noisy, dangerous motor vehicle.

OK, that's a bit of a rant but you'll get the point.

John B
Old January 21st 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Judith

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:43:20 GMT, "Chris Weston"
wrote:

I've only had one summer at it, and I've tended
towards the bigger sites, but I'm finding they cost up to 15 a night for a
small tent pitch.

FIFTEEN QUID?!

I think the most I have paid was (racks brain ..... erm, erm) ... I
can't remember but I think it was around a tenner and that was for a
site in Braemar which had all mod cons (ie hot and cold biting
midges!) in peak season.

They had a backpackers rate but I still had to pay the peak season
surcharge and the non-members surcharge.

I think I paid 6.50 in the Brecon Beacons (Pencelli) in November.
That was a site with excellent facilities but I wouldn't normally have
stayed at that sort of place. I usually expect to pay between 3 and
5 per night for a site which has a toilet and a shower.

I usually camp wild. It's more fun, a lot cheaper ..... and you can
always have a wash at the Railway Station on the way home!

Judith
Old January 21st 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
AndyP[_2_]

"Darren G" wrote

Late last summer was the last time I was on a site (tend to wild camp)
and then I think we were paying 4 pppn at Angel Falls in Snowdonia
(I.e. pretty touristy). This site while just a hard dry field had good
showers and loos, and a bar within crawling distance!

Where's Angel Falls? You don't mean Swallow Falls in Betws-y-Coed do you?

Old January 21st 05, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Naylor

Chris Weston wrote:
I was wondering what you guys would consider to be reasonable prices
for various types of camp site. I've only had one summer at it, and
I've tended towards the bigger sites, but I'm finding they cost up to
15 a night for a small tent pitch. Now, call me Parsimonious Pete
if you like, but that seems a bit pricey to me. I may be a
fair-weather car-camper, but all I want is a bit of grass and a
toilet and shower available on site. I'd have thought that 8-9
would be more like it. Back in my youth it seemed that you could get
a pitch for a fiver on a decent site.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris Weston

FIFTEEN QUID????

Don't think I have ever paid more than 4 per night - ok might be that i'm
walking and only a 1 man tent but fifteen quid is surely a rip of - even in
peak season at a place with all mod cons?

--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and
principles, come and join this campaign."

Old January 21st 05, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
anonimulo[_2_]

In uk.rec.camping on Friday 21 January 2005 20:43, Chris Weston wrote:

I was wondering what you guys would consider to be reasonable prices for
various types of camp site. I've only had one summer at it, and I've
tended towards the bigger sites, but I'm finding they cost up to 15 a
night for a
small tent pitch. Now, call me Parsimonious Pete if you like, but that
seems a bit pricey to me. I may be a fair-weather car-camper, but all I
want is a bit of grass and a toilet and shower available on site. I'd
have
thought that 8-9 would be more like it. Back in my youth it seemed that
you could get a pitch for a fiver on a decent site.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris Weston

Didn't have much chance to do camping last year, however I paid about
£11/night for camping at Felixstowe in May 2004 but it was a nice site that
included free showers.

At my favourite camp site in North Wales (Benar Beach) I was paying £6/night
in 2003 for a quiet camp site with a toilet block but with showers which
took 40p tokens. I wouldn't pay more than £4/night when there's just a bog
and a cold tap.

As for the sites that charge £10+/night *and* make you use a numbered space,
they can take a running jump. I had the misfortune to be on such a site in
Dorset and was about 2m from a tent containing a whingeing kid who kept me
awake all night, Also with a numbered space, it is always in the shade and
if it rains all night, the tent isn't dry by the time I wake up.

I've never had a problem in the more isolated parts of North Wales -
friendly owners, and low prices. The "commercial" sites are more expensive
but I can't be bothered with stinky barbecues, Radio 1 blaring out all day,
and whingeing kids all night, so tend to avoid them.