Switzerland or Austria ?

Old February 7th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
SuSE

Default Switzerland or Austria ?

OK, I have been told by the lady of the house that we are going to go
to Switzerland / Austria for our hols in July. Next question is does
anyone know or can perhaps recommend a site or two? (Family of three
inc 16 year old son.)
Old February 8th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
News

"SuSE" wrote in message
om...
OK, I have been told by the lady of the house that we are going to go
to Switzerland / Austria for our hols in July. Next question is does
anyone know or can perhaps recommend a site or two? (Family of three
inc 16 year old son.)

Where in Switzerland? Berner Oberland & Appenzel are good for walking.
Vignette required. See:
http://www.tiscover.ch/
Ditto Austria. Salzburg & Berchtesgarden, south towards Italy
(Karnten/Carinthia) & Innsbruck/Landeck good. Need a motorway sticker. See:
http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/5,en...home/home.html

Old February 8th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd SuSE :
OK, I have been told by the lady of the house that we are going to go
to Switzerland / Austria for our hols in July. Next question is does
anyone know or can perhaps recommend a site or two? (Family of three
inc 16 year old son.)

There's a lovely site in the Engadine, between St Moritz and Zernez, at
a place called Chapella. On the main road, look for the railway bridge
(on the right going from St Moritz). The camp site is just through there.
If you've a tent, there are some lovely pitches in the woods, with fire
places, and there's loads of wood around. There are also flat grassy areas
for caravans etc. Great walking. Day trips easily possible over the passes
to Italy and Austria. Tax free resorts of Livigno and Samnaun nearby.

Other sites we've been to and enjoyed:

Danny's Camp in the Berner Oberland, a mile or so up the Grindelwald road
from Zweilutschinen. Quiet, with spectacular views.

Landquart: camp site near the river, also convenient for Liechtenstein.

There's a really out of the way camp site at Seelisberg, Central Sqitzerland.
Loads of walking possibilities there, and msotly an undiscovered area for
tourists.

Most Austrian sites we've seen seem to be big and busy. We found an OK one
in the Zillertal, called "Camping Hell"!

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old February 8th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
News

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Felly sgrifennodd SuSE :
[...]

Engadine, in June, is not for wimps; try making G&Ts with frozen tonic.
Great scenery and worth a trip - 1800m (little under 6000ft.
http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/gui...den/upper.html
or
http://www.alpineetc.com/stmoritzinfo.html
http://www.alpinehikers.com/itinerary2a.html for pictures
and for the Bernina pass area (spectacular)
http://www.ebepe.com/html/berninaline.html (train)
http://www.worldphotolocations.com/l...=1096558232570
(photos)

Old February 8th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd News :
Engadine, in June, is not for wimps; try making G&Ts with frozen tonic.

Probably true, but the original poster is going in July. It should be OK
then.

We were last there a few years ago in late September. It was freezing at
night.

The campsite I mentioned is down the valley from St Moritz, at around 1600m,
so not quite as bad as you say! It can be very warm in summer, too. But be
prepared for the possibility of cold nights.

I just remembered - the name of the place near the campsite (at Chappella)
which is likely to be mentioned on your map is Cinuos/Chel. Chappella is
too small to be marked on most maps. Free showers and hot water, clean
modern facilities, the only problem was that the light was on a timer so if
you go in for a shower after dark you may find yourself in the dark. It's
the best site I've stayed at in Switzerland though, and I've stayed at a
fair few.

Adrian

Old February 8th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Adrian D. Shaw :
I just remembered - the name of the place near the campsite (at Chappella)
which is likely to be mentioned on your map is Cinuos/Chel. Chappella is
too small to be marked on most maps. Free showers and hot water, clean
modern facilities, the only problem was that the light was on a timer so if
you go in for a shower after dark you may find yourself in the dark. It's
the best site I've stayed at in Switzerland though, and I've stayed at a
fair few.

I also just noticed they've got a web site:

http://www.campingchapella.ch/

Adrian
Old February 9th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
SuSE

I also just noticed they've got a web site:

http://www.campingchapella.ch/

Adrian

May we thank you all for the advice re temperatures and camping
locations / web sites. Tonight we will be looking at the advised
links and taking it from there.

One final question though, would you advise using your own car for
getting about or the public transport system and the discount card
facility (rail / bus cards) ?

SuSe
Old February 9th 05, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd SuSE :
One final question though, would you advise using your own car for
getting about or the public transport system and the discount card
facility (rail / bus cards) ?

We always drive. Though public transport is excellent in Switzerland, it's
not always so good for getting up the mountain passes, parking and going for
a walk. Also, the experience of driving the passes is something not to be
mossed (the Stelvio - just over in Italy, the highest normal road pass in
Europe, is an easy day out from the Engadine).

Adrian (Mandrake )
Old May 27th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Emile Mainil

I can warmly recommand Woferlgut near Zell-am-See

Their website is: http://www.sportcamp.at/

It's a marvelous place to be....

Good Luck!

Emile Mainil

"SuSE" schreef in bericht
om...

Old May 28th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Emile Mainil :
"SuSE" schreef in bericht
. com...
OK, I have been told by the lady of the house that we are going to go
to Switzerland / Austria for our hols in July. Next question is does
anyone know or can perhaps recommend a site or two? (Family of three
inc 16 year old son.)

Looks like I missed the OP. Anyway, our favourite campsite is
http://www.campingchapella.ch/ in the Engadine in Switzerland, between
St Moritz and Zernez. Along the valley to the east 25 miles or so you come
into Austria, so you can easily do both countries in one holiday (you could
even go to Austria via the Sudtirol in Italy). Don't forget to visit
Samnaun[1] or Livigno[2] whilst you're there, for the duty free! Both are
within easy reach of the campsite by car.

Adrian

[1] in Switzerland, on the Austrian border. Tax free enclave
[2] in Italy, on the Swiss border. Also a tax free region, full up with
petrol here!