4 season backpacking tent

Old February 11th 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Wilson[_2_]

Default 4 season backpacking tent

I've heard the Terra Nova Voyager is the one to get, any comments or
feedback from owners would be welcome. Where is the cheapest place to buy
in the North East or via net or mail.

Old February 12th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dr KC

"Martin Wilson" wrote in message
I've heard the Terra Nova Voyager is the one to get, any comments or
feedback from owners would be welcome. Where is the cheapest place to buy
in the North East or via net or mail.

I have the Trisar, the forerunner to the Voyager. It's been an excellent
tent; I've had it for 8 years, have given it a pretty vicious beating over
the years, but is virtually identical to the day I bought it (aside from a
bent pole from a hairy night on the side of Cadair Idris in December).
Enough space for two people and all their kit (if slightly cosy), enough
porch space to easily cook in, high enough to comfortably sit up in. Just
about light enough to carry on my own, but if you're going far on your own
there would be better solutions. The only other question is price. I'd swear
by Terra Nova in any conditions - and that is important on the side of
mountain in December - but if you're not going to push their gear, it's
wasted money. Vango (who still make good tents) could be cheaper, but the
fact you're only spending once means that IMHO it's better to splash the
cash.

www.cheaptents.co.uk might be worth a look.

Old February 13th 05, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Another group member

TRY THIS! http://tinyurl.com/487ga

Its a Bombproof tent and its new and a real bargain.
John.

Old February 14th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
beaker

"Dr KC" wrote in message

[...]

I'd back up the above views of the Trisar - mine is even older and still
going strong. If you do go for one just make sure to pitch it with the door
into the wind because it doesn't half bend in a cross wind!

Old February 14th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook

beaker wrote:

"Dr KC" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think TN do the Trisar any more. They did a model with the
option of an extra pole to stabilise the back end and offered another
option to add extra guy points too. I never got round to sending the
fly back to them to get it done though. I'll confim your pitch head to
the wind, I had mine pitched at Red Squirrel once in Glen Coe and I
swear the whole tent was being moved down wind with me in it but I
wasn't being bent out of shape. I never seem to manage to get the fly
to sit properly where the short pole crosses the long ones though.

Just been to the TN site and and the Trisar has been transformed into
the Explorer. Frighteningly expensive though.
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/terra/li...shtml#explorer
Old February 14th 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
beaker

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
beaker wrote:

"Dr KC" wrote in message

[...]

The Explorer definitely looks very Trisar-y, but the Trisar is back - not on
the TN/WildCountry websites as far as I can see but I've been looking at
tents a lot and a few places seem to be selling them, and I don't think it's
old stock

(e.g. http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product.asp?pf_id=32104,
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Wil...ry-Trisar.html)

Know what you mean about the seams following the line of the poles - always
just that little bit off but no matter how much tweaking you do you never
get it right. Still, no matter how much it buckles in the wind it still
stays up, and I've never gotten wet inside. Pitched it one new year on by
the cafe on Snowdon - no pegs and only guyed witha couple of not very heavy
boulders as everything was iced up; the wind howled, the tent swayed (the
occupants howled too!) but up she stayed :-)

Old February 15th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dr KC

"beaker" wrote in message
. uk...

"Phil Cook" wrote in message

[...]