Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern - Fuel question

Old March 20th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
be_pissed

Default Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern - Fuel question

Hi all..

I have a Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern which I've used quite a few times and
am quite happy with. I've never used it with the Coleman fuel as it's
pretty pricey and not always available in most places.
I've used the lamp with unleaded gasoline but found it did not perform
all that great... the color of the light was more yellow'y, dull and not
the bright white light that one normally can get. (I'm guessing it was
the quality of fuel I had at the time so only tried this once)

I've used benzine in the lamp which gave off the best results so far...

My question is what other fuel's can be used with it..? I have a bottle
of white spirit from the local DIY shop. This has the smell and taste of
turpentine almost... would this work? I think I've confused white spirit
with white gas so not all that sure.

Cheers... TJ
Old March 21st 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Wilson[_2_]

Use "panel wipe" available from any car paint supplier, approx 10 for 5
litres. Burns clean and hot.

hth

Martin

Old March 22nd 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
be_pissed

be_****ed wrote:
Hi all..

I have a Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern which I've used quite a few times and
am quite happy with. I've never used it with the Coleman fuel as it's
pretty pricey and not always available in most places.
I've used the lamp with unleaded gasoline but found it did not perform
all that great... the color of the light was more yellow'y, dull and not
the bright white light that one normally can get. (I'm guessing it was
the quality of fuel I had at the time so only tried this once)

I've used benzine in the lamp which gave off the best results so far...

My question is what other fuel's can be used with it..? I have a bottle
of white spirit from the local DIY shop. This has the smell and taste of
turpentine almost... would this work? I think I've confused white spirit
with white gas so not all that sure.

Cheers... TJ

Update to any readers... a bit more research has confirmed things for
me. White spirit won't work, its a turpentine substitute...
The closest equivalent to the coleman fuel appears to be benzine (not to
be confused with benzene) This was available all over in ZA even local
supermarkets... I'm having a real problem finding this now..

Anybody know where I can buy this in the UK??
Old March 22nd 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Wilson[_2_]

Try "Panel Wipe" from any car paint supplier. Approx 10.00 for 5 litres.
Burns hot and clean.

Regards.

Martin

Old March 22nd 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
be_pissed

Thanks Martin ... I'll check it out ... any ideas on the major suppliers
I could try?

I'm located very much down south in the hants area.

Cheers.. TJ

Old March 23rd 05, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Wilson[_2_]

Don't go to Halfords or anywhere major like that, they will charge the
earth. Just go to your local discount auto parts shop and if they haven't
got it themselves I'm sure they will let you know of a local supplier.

A few places on the web do it also eg

http://www.starchem.co.uk/products/chemical.htm

http://www.discountbodypanels.co.uk/products.html

hth

Regards

Martin

Old March 23rd 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
be_pissed

I tried Halfords about on the way home, also Focus and Wilkonson ...
even the local chemist ;-) but they never had either benzine or the
panel wipe. I'll give a few local parts dealers a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and web links...

Cheers.. TJ