What resources *do* you use to find a site?

Old April 3rd 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephan Bird

Default What resources *do* you use to find a site?

To all,

Tom's post of yesterday in uk.rec.camping,
Message-ID thinking..

Not very scientific, I know (asking USENET, as I assume by being here you've
an above average IT capability etc.), but it's another angle. As per the
subject, what resources *do* you use to find a site? Speaking from the other
side, as it were (my parents run a small site in Caernarfon), it seems
there's not a week goes by without them receiving advertising of some form
or another - postal mail, e-mail, telesales extolling the virtues of the
next new way potential customers could find the site and book their holiday
at one place rather than another (we've had at least three pitches - no pun
intended - since Easter). Has the market reached saturation or
super-saturation, especially online where new portals seem to be springing
up like mushrooms after a wet spell?

Some of these resources seem to be asking silly money for a couple of lines
of text that will only be valid for a year before perhaps needing updates.

Sure, they're advertising in things like the Big Sites Book, Cades, Alan
Rogers, UKCampsite.co.uk, the Welsh Tourist Board info packs, Caravan
Sitefinder UK, UK Parks etc., and I've put together a fairly simple website
for them too.

But what really makes a difference as far as the visiting public is
concerned? Of course we ask people when they book (some trends are
noticeable here and of course they have the right to say "Sorry, not
saying"), but it's just nice to know money isn't necessarily being
squandered on advertising that could just as easily be ploughed back into
the site and improving facilities for those that do decide to spend time at
our site, and of course we don't get to hear from those who don't book.

I'm aware that I could ask 100 people and get 100 answers, but just
wondering if there were trends we (as site owners) are not aware of.

Many thanks in advance

Stephan
--
Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC EMOVE
"Chance favours the prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Old April 3rd 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher

"Stephan Bird" wrote in message

Speaking from the other
side, as it were (my parents run a small site in Caernarfon),

Tell me more. By mail if you prefer, my address is correct.

Mary

Old April 3rd 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul - xxx

Stephan Bird composed the following;:

But what really makes a difference as far as the visiting public is
concerned?

We only use CC sites or CL's about 8 times a tear, we're mostly in fields
every other weekend though, so 'site-finding' is not such a big issue for
us.

We use word-of-mouth first, then CC Handbook, then a general browse on the
internet if we can't find a site in the general vicinity of where we want to
go.

When we stay on sites all we mostly look for are clean facilities and
well-spaced pitches. We rarely stay on-site during daylight or even much of
the night occasionally, so site facilities are not of much use to us. Very
occasionally we'll go to a site with a pub, pool, playground for the kids
etc, but mostly we're in an area to see the area or for a specific purpose,
not to see the caravan site, so spend very little time looking for one.

CC sites are _known_ to suit us and our needs, which simplifies the search
somewhat. Any advertisement in any medium would probably pass us by
completely unless we were thinking of visiting the locale at some time ...
but we'd still prefer a cc site as first choice.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old April 4th 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
tom

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:55:54 +0000, Stephan Bird wrote:

To all,

Tom's post of yesterday in uk.rec.camping,
Message-ID thinking..

Not very scientific, I know (asking USENET, as I assume by being here
you've an above average IT capability etc.), but it's another angle.

Interesting you bring this up, Stephen. The reason I brought the question
up is because year on year I find it difficult to find the sort of sites I
would like to stay at.

Perhaps it is because I am picky, but I am sure others must be the same. I
am yet to find a resource which is particularly good, the Camping and
Caravanning club guide has been recommended now, but it doesn't seem worth
the 35 pounds sign-up fee for a copy of this book, especially not without
having seen a copy first!

I tend to just google for answers and then research possibilities that I
find. I usually aim to find sites which aren't particularly well
populated, I'm not too bothered about a shop, but showers are useful. I'm
not a big fan of caravans, but I don't mind if I absolutely have to see
some, but I'd really prefer to be able to search for lists of tent-only
sites, or sites which have some specific fields just for tents, even
better - fields for campers without cars. The only site I can remember
like this is Tom's Field in Dorset.

Most of the resources out there cater for caravans as well as tents, and
tend not to distinguish, but I would like to be able to.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a tent-only or a tent-biased
guide to the UK?

Good conversation!

Tom
Old April 4th 05, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:55:54 +0000 (UTC), "Stephan Bird"
wrote:

| Sure, they're advertising in things like the Big Sites Book,

The basic entry in CCC Big Sites Book is *free*.
Any site which has an *advert* in BSB is IMO best avoided.

I expect, mown grass, clean toilets, showers, and a chemical disposal
point. Anything more is IMO a waste of money.

--
Dave F
Flight is right
Old April 4th 05, 06:17 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:54:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

| "Stephan Bird" wrote in message
|
| Speaking from the other
| side, as it were (my parents run a small site in Caernarfon),
|
| Tell me more. By mail if you prefer, my address is correct.

The charter of urc allows some advertising
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.camping.html

Advertising
Advertising is forbidden, with these exceptions:
Suppliers of goods and services relevant to camping in the UK may post an
invitation to visit their web site or request details. It should be of four
lines or fewer and not posted more than once every 3 months. The subject
line should begin "ADVERT: ".

--
Dave F
Flight is right
Old April 4th 05, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alex Heney

wrote:

| "Stephan Bird" wrote in message
|
| Speaking from the other
| side, as it were (my parents run a small site in Caernarfon),
|
| Tell me more. By mail if you prefer, my address is correct.

The charter of urc allows some advertising
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.camping.html

Advertising
Advertising is forbidden, with these exceptions:
Suppliers of goods and services relevant to camping in the UK may post an
invitation to visit their web site or request details. It should be of four
lines or fewer and not posted more than once every 3 months. The subject
line should begin "ADVERT: ".

And the charter of the *other* urc allows a little mo
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.caravanning.html
Advertising

Off-topic advertisements of any form are not allowed.

On-topic private advertisements are allowed provided the subject field
is in one of the following forms to make the advertisement clear and
easily avoidable:
"FOR SALE: description of item(s) for sale"
"WANTED: description of item(s) wanted"

On-topic commercial advertisements are allowed provided the advertiser
does not post more than one advertisement for their services or goods
per month. Multiple advertisements for different services or goods
from
the same advertiser are not allowed in any one month. The subject
field
must be in the form:
"ADVERT: description of goods or services".

On-topic announcements of forthcoming events are allowed provided the
advertiser does not post more than one announcement for a specific
event per month. The subject field should be in the form:
"EVENT: description of event".

Discrete signatures of no more than 4 lines containing commercial
advertising, links etc are allowed on the bottom of a private message
provided the message is otherwise on-topic.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
All programers are optimists.

Old April 4th 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher

"Alex Heney" wrote in message

| Speaking from the other
| side, as it were (my parents run a small site in Caernarfon),
|
| Tell me more. By mail if you prefer, my address is correct.

Off-topic advertisements of any form are not allowed.

That's why I suggested telling me by private mail. I'd still like to know
and I might not be alone. The poster wasn't advertising, in my opinion.

Mary

Old April 4th 05, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:05:29 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

| "Alex Heney" wrote in message
| |
| | Speaking from the other
| | side, as it were (my parents run a small site in Caernarfon),
| |
| | Tell me more. By mail if you prefer, my address is correct.
|

| Off-topic advertisements of any form are not allowed.

But adverts for a small camp site would be On Topic for a three xp ngs.

--
Dave F
Flight is right
Old April 4th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alex Heney

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:05:29 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
.. .

| Speaking from the other
| side, as it were (my parents run a small site in Caernarfon),
|
| Tell me more. By mail if you prefer, my address is correct.

Off-topic advertisements of any form are not allowed.

That's why I suggested telling me by private mail. I'd still like to know
and I might not be alone. The poster wasn't advertising, in my opinion.

No, but the point Dave & i were making is that it would have been OK
to advertise, by the charters of these groups.

So there wouldn't be any need for the response to be private.