broken lantern glass solution

Old April 3rd 05, 10:39 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Swansons

Default broken lantern glass solution

For several years I've been the quartermaster for our troop and probably
spent $200 + in replacing lantern glass globes that break during transport
or use. Last season we found a Century brand that uses a wire mesh
instead of the glass type. Many thought the screen wouldn't hold up to a
brisk wind, and wouldn't let as much light throught, but I can report after
a season of testing that they work like a charm and all are happy. The only
down side is they aren't as universally available as the Colemans. This
weekend I bought a dozen to replace our old Coleman glass globe type.

Old April 4th 05, 12:31 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
SteveB

"Swansons" wrote in message
For several years I've been the quartermaster for our troop and probably
spent $200 + in replacing lantern glass globes that break during transport
or use. Last season we found a Century brand that uses a wire mesh
instead of the glass type. Many thought the screen wouldn't hold up to a
brisk wind, and wouldn't let as much light throught, but I can report
after a season of testing that they work like a charm and all are happy.
The only down side is they aren't as universally available as the
Colemans. This weekend I bought a dozen to replace our old Coleman glass
globe type.

I have a suggestion. Pitch all those obnoxious overly bright Coleman
lanterns and teach them to live with less light while camping. They don't
need to light up everything in their campsite, so there is no color but
white, and they surely don't need to light up the woods and other campsites
within half a mile.

Or, if you like lots of light, maybe you might consider a portable
generator, and halogen landing lights from 747s.

Teaching Scouts about camping involves teaching them to respect others and
their environment. Putting out millions of watts of light, to me, is
disrespectful of other campers.

Steve, an old camper, and ex Scout leader.

Old April 4th 05, 12:36 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Bruce W.1

Swansons wrote:
For several years I've been the quartermaster for our troop and probably
spent $200 + in replacing lantern glass globes that break during transport
or use. Last season we found a Century brand that uses a wire mesh
instead of the glass type. Many thought the screen wouldn't hold up to a
brisk wind, and wouldn't let as much light throught, but I can report after
a season of testing that they work like a charm and all are happy. The only
down side is they aren't as universally available as the Colemans. This
weekend I bought a dozen to replace our old Coleman glass globe type.

That is interesting. You could probably make them from wire mesh.
Old April 4th 05, 01:33 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Swansons

Thanks for the thought, but not a practical solution. Take 100+ scouts,
setting up tents at midnight, in the rain. You need light; not LED head
lamps or candles. It's more like an army setting up base camp.

The sites in these situations are group campsites, not backcountry or family
camping. No one else is within earshot (or eye shot).

When we backcountry camping there are no lanterns (and far less then 100
scouts).

Sven

Old April 4th 05, 01:37 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Swansons

Tried that with our old trusty colemans but couldn't find a wire mesh dense
and rigid enough to support the top.

The century has internal support unlike the Coleman which is supports the
top with the glass globe.

"Bruce W.1" wrote in message
. com...

Old April 4th 05, 01:49 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Sapper

"Hardware cloth" is a 3/8" or so square mesh of galvanized wire - should be
strong enough, though I have no idea how long it might last.

"Swansons" wrote in message
Tried that with our old trusty colemans but couldn't find a wire mesh
dense and rigid enough to support the top.

The century has internal support unlike the Coleman which is supports the
top with the glass globe.

"Bruce W.1" wrote in message
. com...

Old April 4th 05, 02:15 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Gary S.

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:49:00 -0400, "Sapper"
wrote:

"Hardware cloth" is a 3/8" or so square mesh of galvanized wire - should be
strong enough, though I have no idea how long it might last.

Might be advantages to stainless mesh instead.

Zinc fumes are not terribly healthy.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old April 4th 05, 02:49 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
dh

"Swansons" wrote in message
For several years I've been the quartermaster for our troop and probably
spent $200 + in replacing lantern glass globes that break during transport
or use. Last season we found a Century brand that uses a wire mesh
instead of the glass type. Many thought the screen wouldn't hold up to a
brisk wind, and wouldn't let as much light throught, but I can report

after
a season of testing that they work like a charm and all are happy. The

only
down side is they aren't as universally available as the Colemans. This
weekend I bought a dozen to replace our old Coleman glass globe type.

I'm a Scouter, too. I feel your pain. We've been using these padded wraps
with hook-and-loop closures and the hard plastic case for years and we still
lose a globe on almost every outing.

I've started switching to the Coleman mini-globe lantern. It's about the
size of a baseball. It does have glass but it's easier to protect. So far,
we haven't damaged the two we've used in three trips. That's better than
normal. They don't give off as much light as the big dual-mantle units but
I decided we didn't need that much light, anyway. The Scouts agreed that
these do give off enough light.

However, the mantles look to be a little more expensive and maybe harder to
obtain.

Century makes one of these, too, might be a little cheaper. I think
www.CampMor.com carries this and if you check their site for the Century
Tool brand, I think you'll find it.

Old April 7th 05, 09:58 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Jon Danniken

"dh" wrote:
I'm a Scouter, too. I feel your pain. We've been using these padded

wraps
with hook-and-loop closures and the hard plastic case for years and we

still
lose a globe on almost every outing.

A modified coffee can makes an excellent lightweight "outer shell" for those
velco neoprene globe cushions, and keeps the hard and pointy things from
bending the glass.

Jon

Old April 7th 05, 11:52 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,rec.backcountry,rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
dh

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
"dh" wrote:
I'm a Scouter, too. I feel your pain. We've been using these padded

wraps
with hook-and-loop closures and the hard plastic case for years and we

still
lose a globe on almost every outing.

A modified coffee can makes an excellent lightweight "outer shell" for

those
velco neoprene globe cushions, and keeps the hard and pointy things from
bending the glass.

Jon

I'll look at your suggstion, thanks, but I've pretty much decided to abandon
the big lamps. We keep them wrapped and in the custom hard plastic case
when we're not using them. If they take a good, hard shake while packed
that sometimes cracks the globe. Otherwise, they suffer when in use. Scouts
have more enthusiasm than motor skills.