pitching a 6 person dome tent on sand

Old April 6th 05, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
[news]

Default pitching a 6 person dome tent on sand

mid summer, west facing beach with clear views over the atlantic.

any tips for pitching a 6 person tent in (hopefully) dry sand dunes ?

the tent is about 6' high and about 15' wide, 5 pole semi geodesic
jobbie, similar in design to this one http://tinyurl.com/5a3sy

longer pegs ? scavenge stones to add weight to pegs ?

any experiences of camping in dunes welcomed.

RT

Old April 6th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
any tips for pitching a 6 person tent in (hopefully) dry sand dunes ?

the tent is about 6' high and about 15' wide, 5 pole semi geodesic
jobbie, similar in design to this one
http://tinyurl.com/5a3sy

Very like mine except that my supertent - the largest of my
collection - has 3 bedrooms rather than 2.

longer pegs ? scavenge stones to add weight to pegs ?

I would probably do both of those, in case the sand is
particularly soft. If the flysheet manages to reach the
ground with a bit of a skirt I'd weigh it down with stones all
the way round; if it's like mine however this won't work as
the fly isn't quite big enough. It could even be worth
getting some bits of timber and making your own long pegs - or
perhaps using three pegs per point, and have them facing in
mutually opposite directions.
--
If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...
then you've failed to grasp some important aspect of the
Old April 6th 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:47:33 GMT, "[news]" wrote:

| mid summer, west facing beach with clear views over the atlantic.
|
| any tips for pitching a 6 person tent in (hopefully) dry sand dunes ?
|
| the tent is about 6' high and about 15' wide, 5 pole semi geodesic
| jobbie, similar in design to this one http://tinyurl.com/5a3sy
|
| longer pegs ? scavenge stones to add weight to pegs ?
|
| any experiences of camping in dunes welcomed.

Triple all pegs.
Sew in as many extra guys on the seams as reasonable.
We did this as standard on all our tents.
Put out *all* guy lines.

--
Dave F
Flight is right
Old April 7th 05, 12:48 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
killermike[_2_]

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:47:33 GMT, [news] wrote:

any tips for pitching a 6 person tent in (hopefully) dry sand dunes ?

longer pegs ? scavenge stones to add weight to pegs ?

I've just googled around and it would seem that the standard pegs for
camping on sand are the flat ones with a triangular /\ profile.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
np:
Old April 7th 05, 06:58 AM posted to uk.rec.camping

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 00:48:46 +0000, killermike
wrote:

| On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:47:33 GMT, [news] wrote:
|
| any tips for pitching a 6 person tent in (hopefully) dry sand dunes ?
|

| longer pegs ? scavenge stones to add weight to pegs ?
|
| I've just googled around and it would seem that the standard pegs for
| camping on sand are the flat ones with a triangular /\ profile.

I don't like those, they split at the top. The hook for the guy closes up.

--
Dave F
Flight is right
Old April 7th 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
[news]

righto, I'll take triple the number of pegs, make some extra long
ones and fashion some triangular ones from aluminium angle.

prolly scavenge some stones to weigh down the porch poles, too

thanks all.

RT