Sleeping bag recommendations

Old April 11th 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Buzby

Default Sleeping bag recommendations

Looks like the family's got the camping bug.

Any recommendations for budget adults and kids (5 & 6 years) sleeping bags -
we're not doing anything extreme - just UK late spring, summer september
time jaunts.

TIA

Buzby

Old April 11th 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
OG

"Buzby" wrote in message
Looks like the family's got the camping bug.

Any recommendations for budget adults and kids (5 & 6 years) sleeping

bags -
we're not doing anything extreme - just UK late spring, summer

september
time jaunts.

Can't advise about specific sleeping bags, but I can thoroughly
recommend getting a sleeping bag liner for everyone.
Something like these
http://www.millets.co.uk/Millets.sto...oduct/09315212
On cold nights it adds insulation for very little cost, on warm nights
it can be used as a thin bag. Using it means you can get longer
intervals between having to wash your bags, which prolongs their useful
life.

Silk bags are more expensive, but are much lighter & supposed to be
warmer.

In general terms bags come with square ends or mummy ends - the latter
can be warmer, but may be more restrictive, I tend to sleep less well in
a mummy bag unless it's very cold outside.

It is possible to buy left and right hand zipped bags that can be zipped
together so Mum & Dad can share, but mummy bags can be too 'snug' for
this.

Which magazine recently recommended the Coleman Chesnut Classic at about
40 for adults and the Coleman Popular Junior (20) for children.

Hope this helps

Old April 11th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
Looks like the family's got the camping bug.

Any recommendations for budget adults and kids (5 & 6 years) sleeping bags -
we're not doing anything extreme - just UK late spring, summer september
time jaunts.

You could do a lot worse than to look in Milletts - or even
Argos. You'd be surprised what you can find there, and if
you're not backpacking you don't have to worry too much about
the bulk. Non-bulky sleeping bags don't come under the
heading of 'budget' in the main in any case...

You may want to consider the fact that children have an
unfortunate habit of growing: shorter length sleeping bags,
whilst they tend to be very pretty, aren't always terribly
practical or economical. My own (the youngest are 5 & 7) use
full length (adult) bags and have never yet burrowed down and
got 'lost'. If anything, they tend to find their way out of
the top of the bag, and end up getting cold. At which point
they wake up, tuck themselves up, and hope to get a few hours
more sleep before repeating the process.

Tip for cold nights: I have been known to keep spare[1]
clothes warm by shoving them in the bottom of the younger
children's sleeping bags, where there is plenty of space.
Helps to keep the younglings warmer as well.

[1] But not the ones I want to wear the next day. They stay
warm by becoming my pillow for the night.
--
If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...
then you've failed to grasp some important aspect of the
Old April 11th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook

Fran wrote:

said...
[...]

To cut down on the free space, and hence unwarmed air, in a bag larger
than your child; tie off the bottom bit with a bit of string or a
belt.
Old April 11th 05, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

"Buzby" wrote in message
Looks like the family's got the camping bug.

Any recommendations for budget adults and kids (5 & 6 years) sleeping
bags - we're not doing anything extreme - just UK late spring, summer
september time jaunts.

TIA

Buzby

Vango do some cheap bags that are very good. Also try Coleman or Cotswold
own make

Old April 11th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:19:56 +0100, "Buzby" wrote:

Looks like the family's got the camping bug.

Any recommendations for budget adults and kids (5 & 6 years) sleeping bags -
we're not doing anything extreme - just UK late spring, summer september
time jaunts.

TIA

Buzby

They've got kids sleeping bags for 7 in The Range (own brand), and
branded ones at good prices too. I can't find a website - the shop name
is too boring to work well in a search engine.

Liz
Old April 13th 05, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

"Buzby" wrote in message
Looks like the family's got the camping bug.

Any recommendations for budget adults and kids (5 & 6 years) sleeping
bags - we're not doing anything extreme - just UK late spring, summer
september time jaunts.

TIA

Buzby

Get yourself down to Argos, used um for years, and excellent for standard
Spring/Summer camping.