Reich Move Control.

Old October 14th 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

Default Reich Move Control.

Although generally very pleased with my Reich Move Control, it has suffered
from 'stuttering', where the drive will suddenly stop, even with finger on
the remote control button, sometimes to start again, but often only
re-started by releasing the button for a few seconds and then pressing it
again.
This has proved very annoying, especially when viewed by an 'audience' as
often happened on holiday on the continent! .
However, this morning a 'very nice man' from Reich came round to look at it
and low and behold it happened when he was trying out! So he swopped over
the main control box and it seems to work perfectly now.
This was on a self installed unit which is ~ a year old. Very good service
from Reich, although the 'van was only ~10 miles from their offices!!
Cheers, Doc.

Old October 14th 03, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

It would work even better with its own traction battery supply. See my message
in the archives.

Cheers, Peter.

"Doc" wrote in message
: Although generally very pleased with my Reich Move Control, it has suffered
: from 'stuttering', where the drive will suddenly stop, even with finger on
: the remote control button, sometimes to start again, but often only
: re-started by releasing the button for a few seconds and then pressing it
: again.
: This has proved very annoying, especially when viewed by an 'audience' as
: often happened on holiday on the continent! .
: However, this morning a 'very nice man' from Reich came round to look at it
: and low and behold it happened when he was trying out! So he swopped over
: the main control box and it seems to work perfectly now.
: This was on a self installed unit which is ~ a year old. Very good service
: from Reich, although the 'van was only ~10 miles from their offices!!
: Cheers, Doc.
:
:

Old October 15th 03, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Delue

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message

It would work even better with its own traction battery supply. See my message
in the archives.

Cheers, Peter.

Peter

Are you in the bussiness of selling batteries????
Every "mover" posting recently you have popped
up trying to get every one to buy another battery
So far I have not seen any problems with lesiure batteries as a
result of the movers but you keep insisting we all buy additional
batteries. I have been using mine for over two years with no battery
problems.

Who is your sponsor?

Bill delue

Old October 15th 03, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

Are you in the bussiness of selling batteries????
Every "mover" posting recently you have popped
up trying to get every one to buy another battery
So far I have not seen any problems with lesiure batteries as a
result of the movers but you keep insisting we all buy additional
batteries. I have been using mine for over two years with no battery
problems.

Who is your sponsor?

Bill delue

Hi Bill.
I don't know Peter in any way but I can see his logic in this case.
Batteries are designed with a job in mind. Leisure batteries are designed to
deliver a few amps for a long time, Traction batteries to deliver more amps
for a shorter time and car batteries to deliver huge amps for a very short
time. It's true that each can frequently do the other job but the results
are generally at the cost of life or performance. If a leisure battery is
used regularly to power a mover working at full load for a significant
distance, it is likely to suffer in some way. Your battery may not have done
so but that does not mean that the design is right. Perhaps the
circumstances under which you use your mover allow it. Do you use your mover
mainly on level ground or for relatively short periods? The other aspect is
that a large capacity leisure battery will supply more current than a small
one without problems. Perhaps we should consider one large battery rather
than Peter's suggestion of 2 separate ones. From what I have read of movers,
the current drawn is not hugely in excess of what I would expect a leisure
battery to be designed to deliver. The risk of damage is therefore
relatively low.
Final point, as an engineer, I get a lot of cases where people use things
out of spec. Their attitude is that it works so it must be OK. I'm sure we
can all appreciate that this is rarely the case.
There's my 2P's worth.

John

Old October 15th 03, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"Peter Milnes" muttered:
It would work even better with its own traction battery supply. See my

message
in the archives.

----****----
Don't think so, Peter. It currently runs off two batteries in parallel
which are charged up to 13.6V when on 'trickle' and no load. Max current
draw is ~30A with both motors driving, up hill; i.e. 15A/battery. Easily
accomodated by any lead-acid battery. [one of the batteries is in fact an
ordinary 'traction' one, but both are charged under the same protocols].

Cheers, Doc.

Old October 15th 03, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Delue

"John Manders" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks John for your 2p's worth.(is that old money or new?)
I totally agree that there are different batteries for different jobs
but agree with you
two batteries may not be the answer.
I have a 110amp leisure battery and use the mover regulary over a
250 ft trip each way in and out of storage, then also on site
positioning and levelling and hitching up ( if you have it use it ) with
no problems,
But then again most use them for short distance either up hill or on the
rough
or in tight situations.
I just see Peters continual input as scare mongering. People will
rush out and buy the extra battery or worry needlessly over the battery.
If you upgrade your leisure battery as per the movers instructions
"90amp
minimum" it should do the job it was designed for, or use the
consumers rights act for a refund!
I'll let you know when my battery gives up the ghost.

as one famous writer wrote
2p or not 2p that is the question
but I can't find the answer!

Bill Delue

Old October 15th 03, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:40:47 +0100, "Doc" wrote:

draw is ~30A with both motors driving, up hill; i.e. 15A/battery. Easily

Have you measured this Doc? Reich quote current consumption as "15A -
max 60A"

The Reich unit weighs 29kg, I don't really want to have to install a
second , 18kg, battery ( with associated charging implications) just
to drive the mover.....
Old October 15th 03, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"Nigel Crompton" queried Doc who'd muttered.
draw is ~30A with both motors driving, up hill; i.e. 15A/battery. Easily

Have you measured this Doc? Reich quote current consumption as "15A -
max 60A"

The Reich unit weighs 29kg, I don't really want to have to install a
second , 18kg, battery ( with associated charging implications) just
to drive the mover.....

---***----
Nigel, as Bill has mentioned I don't think two batteries are really
necessary. I've only put two in, because I had them, and to give a bit of
noseweight to the Hobby!.

I've not actually measured it; just going on the 'normal' figures from
Reich. I suppose if going up a big slope it might be more but there are
current limiters in the control box to prevent excessive current draw, but
I'm not sure what they are set at. Apart from me, all others I know of
who've got Reich Movers, use just one battery, and sometimes just 85Ahr. It
depends on the use to which you need to put it. Bill obviously uses it
fully, but I only need to 'winkle' it into a tight, flat space at home, get
it onto a pitch or drive it up onto levelling boards.

Cheers, Doc.

Old October 19th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
fred

Hi Doc,

My mover stutters as well. I use 2 x 110 amp hr. batteries, do you
think the nice man at Reich would send me a new circuit board if I
asked. I thought it was because I moved out of range with the remote.

Fred
Old October 19th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TiredofFools

"fred" wrote in message
m...
Hi Doc,

My mover stutters as well. I use 2 x 110 amp hr. batteries, do you
think the nice man at Reich would send me a new circuit board if I
asked. I thought it was because I moved out of range with the remote.

Fred

----

Sorry Freddie.

I've also spoken to the Third Reich's representative on earth (about another
matter) without such a glorious result.

I attribute my lack of success to my failure to drop my pants and waggle my
anus as invitingly as Doc obviously did.

I think that, unless Doc has been reamed beyond tolerance, your chances of
securing a similar advantage from Herr Reich are minimal......