Repacking your tent....

Old April 12th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Weston

Default Repacking your tent....

I just bought a Coleman Bi-Space 500 (bargain at 135), but after a trial
run pitching the outer I am struggling to fit the damned thing in the bag.
I've always managed with other tents but this is a league bigger than I am
used to. Do any of you have any tips on this mystical folding art?

Cheers

Chris Weston

Old April 12th 05, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
I just bought a Coleman Bi-Space 500 (bargain at 135), but after a trial
run pitching the outer I am struggling to fit the damned thing in the bag.
I've always managed with other tents but this is a league bigger than I am
used to. Do any of you have any tips on this mystical folding art?

Yes. Lidl have golf bags for 12.99 at the moment - or at
least my local one still had them the other day. Using that
*and* the original bag my 'portable hotel'[1] came in I was
finally able to get the thing bagged up. Blowed if I can
persuade the flysheet into the tent bag though.

[1] Came from Lidl last year; cost a massive 50; sleeps an
alleged 8; presume suitable for summer season only.
--
If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...
then you've failed to grasp some important aspect of the
Old April 13th 05, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Mann

In message , Chris Weston
writes
I just bought a Coleman Bi-Space 500 (bargain at 135), but after a trial
run pitching the outer I am struggling to fit the damned thing in the bag.
I've always managed with other tents but this is a league bigger than I am
used to. Do any of you have any tips on this mystical folding art?

Cheers

Chris Weston

This is not just a problem with tents. My Mountain Equipment sleeping
bag is almost impossible to pack, despite my taking careful note of how
it was packed when first purchased (I can only imagine the factory had
some sort of compression jig). I now use the "stuff it in in handfulls"
technique which I think should only really be used with down bags.

Then when you finally get it in the bag there are compression straps!
They must be having a laugh.

Although packing up as small as possible is an advantage, so is being
able to pack up quickly.

John.

--
John Mann
Old April 13th 05, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Another group member

Tents and Sleeping bags should not be repacked the same every time as this
causes creases which can crack. Best and correct way is to actually Stuff
them into the bags.
John.

--

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
"John Mann" wrote in message
In message , Chris Weston
writes

Old April 13th 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Another group member .:
Tents and Sleeping bags should not be repacked the same every time as this
causes creases which can crack. Best and correct way is to actually Stuff
them into the bags.

I find this difficult to believe, because:

a) when I fold my tent, it always folds along different lines (lengthways).

b) it then gets rolled, which minimises further creases

If you stuff it in the bag, it will get far more creases.

If you roll your sleeping bag rather than fold it, same should apply shouldn't
it?

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old April 13th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Harry Bloomfield

John Mann brought next idea :
My Mountain Equipment sleeping bag is almost impossible to pack, despite my
taking careful note of how it was packed when first purchased (I can only
imagine the factory had some sort of compression jig). I now use the "stuff
it in in handfulls" technique which I think should only really be used with
down bags.

Then when you finally get it in the bag there are compression straps! They
must be having a laugh.

Take along some short lengths of string...

Roll the bag as tightly as you can, then have loops of string ready to
pull tight around it. This makes it much easier to push them back into
the original manufacturers supplied bag.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old April 16th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Weston

"Fran" wrote in message
t...
said...
I just bought a Coleman Bi-Space 500 (bargain at 135), but after a

trial
run pitching the outer I am struggling to fit the damned thing in the

bag.
I've always managed with other tents but this is a league bigger than I

am
used to. Do any of you have any tips on this mystical folding art?

Yes. Lidl have golf bags for 12.99 at the moment - or at
least my local one still had them the other day. Using that
*and* the original bag my 'portable hotel'[1] came in I was
finally able to get the thing bagged up. Blowed if I can
persuade the flysheet into the tent bag though.

See, this is a perfectly reasonable suggestion in many ways. However, I am
a Man, and therefore my masculinity is at stake if I cannot get the tent
back in the bag. Surely you can see this?

So, I guess I will spend a few more hours straining every sinew, veins
bulging out of my neck and curses springing from my frothy lips, before I
hit Lidl.

--
Chris Weston
Eyeing the supermarche d'allemagne

Old April 16th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paddy

In message , Chris Weston
writes
I just bought a Coleman Bi-Space 500 (bargain at 135), but after a trial
run pitching the outer I am struggling to fit the damned thing in the bag.
I've always managed with other tents but this is a league bigger than I am
used to. Do any of you have any tips on this mystical folding art?

Cheers

Chris Weston

Don't know this tent, but the lazy solution is buy another bag and use
two bags, one for the inner and one for the outer.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old April 16th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...

"Fran" wrote in message
t...
said...
I just bought a Coleman Bi-Space 500 (bargain at 135), but after a

trial
run pitching the outer I am struggling to fit the damned thing in the

bag.
I've always managed with other tents but this is a league bigger than I

am
used to. Do any of you have any tips on this mystical folding art?

Yes. Lidl have golf bags for 12.99 at the moment - or at
least my local one still had them the other day. Using that
*and* the original bag my 'portable hotel'[1] came in I was
finally able to get the thing bagged up. Blowed if I can
persuade the flysheet into the tent bag though.

See, this is a perfectly reasonable suggestion in many ways. However, I am
a Man, and therefore my masculinity is at stake if I cannot get the tent
back in the bag. Surely you can see this?

Of course I can! I often think far more like a man than a
woman; however I also know when I'm beaten. Here's an
example: a lot of women have a Utility Room these days. I
don't - I have a Futility Room. See? Realism wins over in
the end. I know when to admit defeat, and I admitted defeat
over the laundry a long while ago. I also admitted defeat
over the tents when it dawned on me that the cheaper the tent
the less likely it was to go back into its original bag. I
have a couple of expensive bombproof 2-man tents which go into
their respective sacks without too much swearing and cussing,
but the larger tents in my collection are all of the cheaper
persuasion (three of them came from Lidl!) and none of them
will allow me to squash them back into their original pyjamas
because - I suspect this is true - they were packed at first
by a machine rather than a person. Maybe they all were;
however the expensive tents are clearly designed to be used
with their bags; the cheaper and - in my case - larger ones
aren't.

So, I guess I will spend a few more hours straining every sinew, veins
bulging out of my neck and curses springing from my frothy lips, before I
hit Lidl.

*Sigh*. Well, that's up to you I suppose. You'll have missed
the boat on cheap golf bags though if you don't give up soon.
(Hint: these bags are big enough to take the /whole/ tent.)
They also have natty little wheels, /and/ a pair of little
runners so that if you're camping in winter you can put it on
the ground and use it as a sledge...

--
"Some witty person in rec.arts.sf.composition (I forget who)
called them
Old April 16th 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
KGB

SNIP
See, this is a perfectly reasonable suggestion in many ways. However, I am
a Man, and therefore my masculinity is at stake if I cannot get the tent
back in the bag. Surely you can see this?

Hi

You could always get your Mother/Girlfriend/Wife (delete as necessary)
to pack it for you. They are very good at that sort of thing!! 8^)

Regards (tongue firmly in cheek)

KGB