Khyam tents

Old April 19th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
R. Murphy

Default Khyam tents

Does anyone have experience of using Kyham tents? - I'm particularly
thinking of either the Freeway or the Touring 200.

Are they as easy to use as the manufacturer claims?

Easy to pack up as well?

Do they stand up well to bad weather

etc. etc. - any advice/input would be welcome

Old April 19th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
tom

I've been using an old Khyam (about 10 years old) dome tent since new. I
don't remember the name off hand, but it is purely a dome and suitable for
about 2.5 people.

Are they as easy to use as the manufacturer claims?

Pretty much. I can certainly get mine up to the extent that you could get
in it and not worry about it falling down in 60 seconds. Putting the guys
out and pegs etc obviously takes a bit longer though, but they are not
required to get the actual shape of the tent. Just to hold it there!

Easy to pack up as well?

Yep, just the same operation in reverse.

Do they stand up well to bad weather

I've used this tent extensively, in some pretty bad rain, but I've never
had the misfortune to be out in a gale. I'm not sure how well it would do,
compared to my other tents, such as a Force 10. Given the price and the
ease of putting the tent up, I think the strength and waterproofing is
pretty good.

My only problem was that the poles are too long for me really, because I
go cycle touring and the poles don't break down as far as they do in a
regular dome or tunnel tent, meaning a wide load on my panniers.

I've just bought a Vango Spirit 200, which is also a lot lighter. I'm
excited to try it.

I still recommend Khyam tents, I like the gimmick factor.

Tom
Old April 20th 05, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Francis Cameron

In message , R. Murphy
writes
Does anyone have experience of using Kyham tents? - I'm particularly
thinking of either the Freeway or the Touring 200.

Are they as easy to use as the manufacturer claims?

Easy to pack up as well?

Do they stand up well to bad weather

etc. etc. - any advice/input would be welcome

I first saw a motorcycling couple put up their Khyam in less time that
it took us to make a start on pitching our Jack Wolfskin. That convinced
me to buy a Khyam for myself and I've never regretted it. A friend has
one of their monsters which seems able to sleep six, is able to
accommodate all their kitchen gear - and still leaves room to park the
car at night! That particular monster doesn't go up in a matter of
seconds. I have photos to show it taking four of more willing workers
taking the better part of a quarter of an hour. That said, yes I am very
happy with my Khyam and I'm grateful for the advice I was given to peg
down firmly all the guy ropes provided.

--
Francis
Old April 20th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Hensh

We have one of the Khyam Espace Deluxe tents (the biggest they do).

It takes me and the wife about 20 mins to fully pitch it and about 1/2 hour
to pack it away.

They are really easy because the poles around the centre dome remain in situ
and so as you unfold these the tent virtually pitches itself.

We've never been out in a particularly strong wind (fair weather campers)
but you can purchase an extra set of guy ropes to give extra strength and
stability if you think you need it.

The only real draw back as far as we are concerned is the weight and size
when it's packed but that shouldn't be a problem with the 200.
Hensh

Old April 20th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mark

We've had a Khyam ridgidome XXL for a few years now & I can honestly say
I'll never go back to a traditional frame tent. It goes up in about 5
minutes & takes about 20 in total with pegging. It really is as quick as
they say. It may be a little more expensive to buy but well worth the extra
few quid.

Mark.

Old April 20th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
^..^ Lone Wolf[_2_]

"Francis Cameron" wrote in message

Wotcha.

I first saw a motorcycling couple put up their Khyam in less time that
it took us to make a start on pitching our Jack Wolfskin. That

convinced
me to buy a Khyam for myself and I've never regretted it.

Yep - the most common tent at bike rallies these days is the Khyam, on
the downside, it means that when you do eventually stagger out of the
beer tent . . . . . . . . every bleedin' tent is the same shape and
colour ;-)

^..^
Lone Wolf
www.moonshiners.org.uk

Old April 21st 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

"R. Murphy" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience of using Kyham tents? - I'm particularly
thinking of either the Freeway or the Touring 200.

Are they as easy to use as the manufacturer claims?

Easy to pack up as well?

Do they stand up well to bad weather

etc. etc. - any advice/input would be welcome

I had a Kyham UltraDome, it was the biggest they did at the time.

You could pop the main dome up and peg the six main legs in less than two
minutes, as tom says the other pegging takes longer.

Had it up in hail and snow with high winds one easter, and although you
thought it may blow away it never did.

Overall I was pretty impressed with it, a Volkswagen camper forced the sale
of it.

Andy

Old April 21st 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Andy Vines :
Overall I was pretty impressed with it, a Volkswagen camper forced the sale
of it.

Is that a sign of age? Do you regret it, or was it a good move?

As I feel like I'm getting towards that age myself, I am beginning to
wonder about doing the same (maybe not a VW; they're too expensive).

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old April 21st 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Graham[_2_]

"^..^ Lone Wolf" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Francis Cameron" wrote in message

Wotcha.

I first saw a motorcycling couple put up their Khyam in less time that
it took us to make a start on pitching our Jack Wolfskin. That

convinced
me to buy a Khyam for myself and I've never regretted it.

Yep - the most common tent at bike rallies these days is the Khyam, on
the downside, it means that when you do eventually stagger out of the
beer tent . . . . . . . . every bleedin' tent is the same shape and
colour ;-)

Could be on the upside - Depends where you land !
;-)
Graham

Old April 22nd 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Brojimmaeus

"Francis Cameron" wrote in message
A friend has
one of their monsters which seems able to sleep six, is able to
accommodate all their kitchen gear - and still leaves room to park the
car at night! That particular monster doesn't go up in a matter of
seconds. I have photos to show it taking four of more willing workers
taking the better part of a quarter of an hour.

Dear Francis, would that friend be me, by any chance?

I have the enormous Espace Delux. 3 huge bedrooms, easily split into 6
doubles. With the bedroom inners removed I have seated 60 people, on benches
for lectures etc. Serious capacity.

Whilst I do have friends who chip in getting the monster up, I can do it on
my own - 10 mins for thrame, 20 for pegging, 10 for groundsheets etc.

I love it, but I keep a smaller tent for for solo trips, and you do indeed
miss the Khyam quality, and yes, it is worth paying for. I know of no tent
so huge that is so stable in a storm....

One point worth noting about the brand is that spare parts are widely,
easily and affordably available.

Regards

Preest