uk electrics/furrin cars

Old October 15th 03, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mike ring

Default uk electrics/furrin cars

Pleas excuse me for barging in, but the bloke next door got a caravan and a
Passat, and the electrics didn't work.

I made them work with some difficulty, although VW had provided a connector
things like fridge and charge didn't go.

It was difficult, as the information seemed ... informal.

Now because he's described me as a 'kin genius a mate wants me to help with
an audi , but by remote control!

Also Norm next door is about to get something Jap, I'm not sure what, I'm
not up on cars.

However, now I know about wonderful usenet, I thought I'd ask if there's a
source of knowledge about interconnection between varoius conventions, it
may help a lot, there must, I hope, be a better way than looking through
car manuals - deeply uniformative - and caravan handbooks, they seem to
have built each one by ear ;-),

Many thanks

mike r
Old October 15th 03, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
[...]

The regs changed about three years ago, but somehow the van and car makers
got out of sync and the independent tow bar installers even more so. There
are plenty of postings on this group detailing the problems and you might
try accessing it through Google and doing a search on electrics.

Old October 16th 03, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

If you access the Volvo Owners Club website (http://www.volvoclub.org.uk) and
navigate to the towing page (third page in, drop down menu at top left) you will
find the electrics explained for 12N/12S and 13pin towing connectors including
information on the correct use of all wires.

Cheers, Peter.

"bowtiejim" wrote in message
:
: 52.50...

Old October 16th 03, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
Now because he's described me as a 'kin genius a mate wants me to help

with
an audi , but by remote control!

Also Norm next door is about to get something Jap, I'm not sure what, I'm
not up on cars.

Funny how if you have a skill the neighbourhood seems to think they have a
right to use that skill. The number of people who kock on my door and ask
me about their ailments. When I suggest they go to the doctor, some really
take umbridge. I have had to be quite offensive (oops, assertive) at times.

Bill

Old October 16th 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

Funny how if you have a skill the neighbourhood seems to think they have a
right to use that skill. The number of people who kock on my door and ask
me about their ailments. When I suggest they go to the doctor, some

really
take umbridge. I have had to be quite offensive (oops, assertive) at

times.

Bill

So there was a solicitor and a doctor talking at a party.
Every few minutes someone would come and ask the doctor for his advice which
he gave.
After a while the doctor asked the solicitor why no one asked him for
advice.
The solicitor replied that they used to until he started sending out
invoices for "Professional Consultation" to all those who he helped.
That's a good idea thought the doctor and vowed to try it.
Two days later, he was on his way back from posting lots of invoices when
the postman delivered a solicitors invoice for "Professional Consultation".

John

Old October 16th 03, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:55:49 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

However, now I know about wonderful usenet, I thought I'd ask if there's a
source of knowledge about interconnection between varoius conventions, it
may help a lot, there must, I hope, be a better way than looking through
car manuals - deeply uniformative - and caravan handbooks, they seem to
have built each one by ear ;-),

Have a look at http://www.towitall.co.uk/default.htm Tony Maris has
a very comprehensive and helpful guide posted on his site.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old October 16th 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mike ring

mike ring wrote in
52.50:

Thanks for the links, it seems I was trying to sort it right on the cusp of
the transitional period, that might have explained some of the confusion
;-)

regards

mike r