Creaking sound from towbar?

Old October 16th 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

Default Creaking sound from towbar?

Hi

When turning left or right I notice a creaking sound from the towball. Is
this normal for a ALKO 2004?

Old October 16th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:30:43 +0100, "Mike R" wrote:

Hi

When turning left or right I notice a creaking sound from the towball. Is
this normal for a ALKO 2004?

Regards

Not normal at all, in fact it should not happen. The last time I took
my van in to the dealers it creaked and groaned when I connected it up
and set off, I complained so they came out and cleaned everything up,
whereupon it got even worse. So I insisted that they fit new friction
pads which quietened it again.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old October 16th 03, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Arc Systems

The 2004 like all Alko stabilizer heads should not groan but often do. The
cure is to clean the pads with very fine emery paper to remove debris
embedded in the pad material. Personally I don't mind the odd groan from
mine, at least I know it's working.

Old October 16th 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Mike R" wrote in message
Hi

When turning left or right I notice a creaking sound from the towball.

Is
this normal for a ALKO 2004?

Regards

So its nothing to worry about then?

Old October 16th 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Mike R" wrote in message
Hi

When turning left or right I notice a creaking sound from the towball. Is
this normal for a ALKO 2004?

Regards

If it doesn't groan its well oiled (probably greased)! Like your car

brakes sometimes you can get brake squeal when there is dust on the
pads/shoes/disks the reason your brakes squeal as against the Alko groan is
you Alko friction material is moving over the ball at a slower speed than
your brake pads on drums/disks when braking to a stop :-)
Mike

Old October 16th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Rogers

"Mike R" wrote in message
Hi

When turning left or right I notice a creaking sound from the towball. Is
this normal for a ALKO 2004?

.................................................. ............

I've had an Alko (not sure what model) friction pad type on my caravan for
the last (almost)5 years. The pads have been changed a couple of times. Its
groaned a lot during this time, mainly when turning slowly. Whether it
should or not I don't know, but it appears to work OK. When lorries and
coaches pass me and send that little shiver through the outfit it seems to
correct itself quickly so I assume all is well with the Alko.

Any one asked Alko this question?

Harry

Old October 16th 03, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Harry Rogers" wrote in message

"Mike R" wrote in message
Hi

When turning left or right I notice a creaking sound from the towball.

Is
this normal for a ALKO 2004?

.................................................. ...........

I've had an Alko (not sure what model) friction pad type on my caravan for
the last (almost)5 years. The pads have been changed a couple of times.

Its
groaned a lot during this time, mainly when turning slowly. Whether it
should or not I don't know, but it appears to work OK. When lorries and
coaches pass me and send that little shiver through the outfit it seems to
correct itself quickly so I assume all is well with the Alko.

It happens with my Winterhoff stabiliser too. Friction pads turning against
a towball are bound to creak a bit. I've never worried about it as the
stabiliser works fine. Then again, I had an Alko 1300 on my first 'van and
it never made any sounds as far as I can recall.

Old October 16th 03, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Kay

"Sigmund" wrote in message

It happens with my Winterhoff stabiliser too. Friction pads turning

against
a towball are bound to creak a bit. I've never worried about it as the
stabiliser works fine. Then again, I had an Alko 1300 on my first 'van

and
it never made any sounds as far as I can recall.

I used to have a Bulldog stabiliser - that creaked too. As to whether it

Cheers
Andrew