Caravan Motor Mover (fixed type)

Old October 16th 03, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
lornalunn

Default Caravan Motor Mover (fixed type)

Which is the best make, and what is the best price.

Also can they be fitted behind the axle, as a friend bent his on a high
curbstone.

GL

Old October 16th 03, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

If the type you choose to fit can be mounted ahead or behind the axle make sure
that the wiring polarity is suitable for the handset directions on the buttons.
Just ensures that when you press the back button the van moves back and not
forward. Can be damaging and expensive.

Cheers, Peter.

:

Old October 17th 03, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
If the type you choose to fit can be mounted ahead or behind the axle make

sure
that the wiring polarity is suitable for the handset directions on the

buttons.
Just ensures that when you press the back button the van moves back and

not
forward. Can be damaging and expensive.

Good point. Just met a man at local dealers who said he had ground off the
friction material on the rollers a few times on his steep slope,
particularly when there was mud on the tyres. At more than 50 for a pair of
rollers he thought he could do it cheaper.
After some experiments he found that epoxy resin, grp and floor repair
stuff- mixed with aquarium gravel, it's like crunchy glass, lasts a lot
longer.
DaveK.

Old October 17th 03, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Delue

Good point. Just met a man at local dealers who said he had ground off the
friction material on the rollers a few times on his steep slope,
particularly when there was mud on the tyres. At more than 50 for a pair of
rollers he thought he could do it cheaper.
After some experiments he found that epoxy resin, grp and floor repair
stuff- mixed with aquarium gravel, it's like crunchy glass, lasts a lot
longer.
DaveK.

Yes but which make of mover did he have?
As they use different types of rollers.

Bill Delue

Old October 17th 03, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

After some experiments he found that epoxy resin, grp and floor repair
stuff- mixed with aquarium gravel, it's like crunchy glass, lasts a lot
longer.
DaveK.

Yes but which make of mover did he have?
As they use different types of rollers.
Bill Delue

That I don't know. He said that it was a messy job. He ground off all the
old friction material then dribbled the mixture over the roller whilst
turning it, building it up in layers.
DaveK.

Old October 17th 03, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Delue

"DaveK" wrote in message

After some experiments he found that epoxy resin, grp and floor repair
stuff- mixed with aquarium gravel, it's like crunchy glass, lasts a lot
longer.
DaveK.

Yes but which make of mover did he have?
As they use different types of rollers.
Bill Delue

That I don't know. He said that it was a messy job. He ground off all the
old friction material then dribbled the mixture over the roller whilst
turning it, building it up in layers.
DaveK.

I only ask as the different makes use differnt types of rollers,
I have heard of the Craver having this problem, I have the Reich
for two years of heavy use with no problems ( they use the same material
as the road rollers at a mot satation) but what about the
powrwheel one?
we could do with information is required to differentiate
between the makes rather than a blanket complaint.
Any one else have any information of this problem?

Bill delue

Old October 20th 03, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Frost

I recently fitted a two year old Reich. It still works perfectly. I am told
by Reich that they have never known a set of their rollers to need
replacing, though they are available for 30.00 each.

You can fit in-front or behind the axle. However if you have a spare wheel
carrier fitted, you can only fit the Reich in-front of the axle. Also if
fitted behind you must reverse the polarity of the motor leads (NOT THE
LEADS TO THE BATTERY!!!).

Excellent piece of kit! I have a new van which is 12" longer than the old
one, meaning on my tight drive I have no room to turn it on the car. Thus I
used to have a standing start push on a slightly inclined gravel drive!! Not
a great way to end every holiday. Now I just reverse on to the drive,
un-hook and press buttons! I am concerned it may strike on a speed ramp, or
kerb as the roller extend slightly beyond the tyre outer wall.

Go buy on. but look on eBay. I got this one for 562 on there and fitted
myself in two hours.

Regards
Paul