York Caravan show, good place to buy a secondhand van??

Old October 17th 03, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tourist

Default York Caravan show, good place to buy a secondhand van??

I'm planning to come to the UK next year and buy a campervan for a touring
Europe and the UK, and have been told about a major campervan show held in
York every September.

I'll be looking for a van like a diesel LWB Transit, Mercedes, Iveco etc, to
accommodate two people, preferably with a shower in it, as well as the usual
fittings.
Apart from all the new vans and accessories for sale at such shows, are
there usually a lot of second-hand vans offered for private sale by visiting
owners at these events?

I've bought a Transit in London several years ago and sold it again in the
LOOT after a 5 month tour of Europe, but this time I plan to store the van
in the UK over winter and use it for about six weeks each year for a number
of years. I had a very good van bought for 4000GBP, (quickly sold for 3500
after the 12,000 mile tour) didn't have a shower, but had Airtronic diesel
heater and a new roll out Fiama annex, so I figure that I may be able to
get what I want for around 5000 Pounds or less?

As it would cost at least 2500 Pounds to hire even the cheapest camper van
for 6 weeks, mid season, buying a van is I think a much better proposition
than renting one if I use it for say 5 or six years, apart from perhaps
being able to loan or rent it out to relatives, or use it as part of a house
swap arrangement for a holiday in other parts of the world. The van should
still have say 60% residual on today's value after 5 years.

Storage should be available, in a secured yard, for around 300 Pounds a
year not too far from London? Add on insurance, MOT tests, road tax etc and
I'll probably be up for about 1000 Pounds a year in standing costs. Still a
lot cheaper than renting, and if we decide to use it for more than 6 weeks
lots cheaper; even allowing something extra for the inevitable repairs and
servicing.

Does anyone who has been to the York show have an idea of how many vans
might be offered for private sale, on average, each year. Is it a matter of
a few dozen, hundreds, or what.? I want to buy privatly as from my last
experience, also still browsing the LOOT adverts on the Internet and
checking dealers sites you can get a much better value deal that way. We are
prepared to work at it, the last van too my wife and I three weeks solid
searching all over london to find it.

I figure the best approach would be to hire a van for a few days from
London, drive up to the show on the Thursday when I'm told it gets under
way, and thus be in the thick of things to look for a van to buy.

Any comment or advice please?

Please reply to group, the email is false, as a Spam trap.

Dave, the tourist of Oz.

Old October 17th 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
buko

"Tourist" wrote in message u...
I'm planning to come to the UK next year and buy a campervan for a touring
Europe and the UK, and have been told about a major campervan show held in
York every September.

Dave, the tourist of Oz.

Snip

There is a few second hand in the show but mostly new. Outside on the road is the place to be for second hand,
all along the road both sides, but its worth going for the evening intertanment alone (this year was brilliant again), and the bargains???????????(sorry was thinking about light weight gas botles).

Paul

http://www.giantcompany.com

Old October 17th 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

York is an excellent show with most of the firms able to offer 2nd hand
models, although nearly all on display are new. A copy of MMM (Motorcaravan
Motorhome monthly) has a huge range of 2nd hand models for sale both private
and trade.

Stewart

u...

Old October 17th 03, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AH

I would just search the internet, you should be able to arrive and virtually
step straight into your own van rather than spend on hiring and then driving
up to a very over crowded York show on the off chance of finding one.

There are loads available on the web

--
Remove "the brain" to reply
"Stewart" wrote in message
York is an excellent show with most of the firms able to offer 2nd hand
models, although nearly all on display are new. A copy of MMM

(Motorcaravan
Motorhome monthly) has a huge range of 2nd hand models for sale both

private
and trade.

Stewart

u...

Old October 18th 03, 04:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tourist

Thanks kqr,

I have sent mail to you.

Dave

The Tourist of Oz.

Old October 18th 03, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nomad

The private sale of vans on the showground is forbidden but you can buy from
dealers There is a limited choice of second-hand vans and was such a rumpus
about the obstruction caused by vans and cars parked outside on the access
road this year I suspect if it is held on the racecourse next year there
will be a real clamp down on parking on these roads with the knock on effect
on private sales outside the show. As some one advises why not search the
web, try these sites for starters.

www.motorhomefacts.com
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/

Nomad

u...

Old October 18th 03, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:47:42 +1000, "Tourist"
wrote:

I'm planning to come to the UK next year and buy a campervan for a touring
Europe and the UK, and have been told about a major campervan show held in
York every September.

Sorry, I have never been to the York show so cannot help you
I suggest that you post this request to uk.rec.motorcaravans as well
as here.

Good luck!