flat battery

Old October 18th 03, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lynn

Default flat battery

i have recently upgraded to a larger caraven and now find after a couple of
weeks in storage the battery is flat. The only difference between my old
caravan anfd the new one is it has an alarm system.

Should this drain the battery, it seems to defeat the object of having one
if it only works some of the time?

Or are caravan alarms more for when you are connected and go out for the
day?

malcolm

Old October 18th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

My last caravan was an Avondale and in it the battery never held its charge
even with nothing switched on, usually lasted 2 or 3 weeks but could not
withstand one week's usage on a CL.
Same battery is now in my Bailey and gives no bother at all.

Old October 18th 03, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"Stewart" wrote in message
"Lynn" wrote in message
i have recently upgraded to a larger caraven and now find after a couple

of
weeks in storage the battery is flat. The only difference between my old
caravan anfd the new one is it has an alarm system.

Should this drain the battery, it seems to defeat the object of having

one
if it only works some of the time?

Or are caravan alarms more for when you are connected and go out for the
day?

malcolm

My last caravan was an Avondale and in it the battery never held its

charge
even with nothing switched on, usually lasted 2 or 3 weeks but could not
withstand one week's usage on a CL.
Same battery is now in my Bailey and gives no bother at all.

I had a similar problem when I first had my new (now 12-year-old) Bailey
Pageant Magenta.

My electrical control panel has a 2-position switch for selecting whether
the 12v supply comes from the internal caravan battery or from the car. When
not using the caravan, I had used to leave this switch in the "Car"
position - in the belief that this would prevent the battery from
discharging due to anything being accidentally left on.

What I didn't then realise - but do NOW - was that this switch is on the
input side of a relay circuit, and in the "Car" position, the relay coil is
drawing current. It's only about 30mA - but it's enough to drain the battery
in a few weeks.

I only discovered this by connecting a sensitive ammeter in series with the
battery lead with everything switched off.

The OP may have a similar problem. Of course, it's *possible* that the alarm
is the culprit - but it seems more likely that there is something else -
such as my change-over relay - drawing current.

Roger

Old October 18th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Lynn" wrote in message
i have recently upgraded to a larger caraven and now find after a couple

of
weeks in storage the battery is flat. The only difference between my old
caravan anfd the new one is it has an alarm system.

Should this drain the battery, it seems to defeat the object of having one
if it only works some of the time?

Or are caravan alarms more for when you are connected and go out for the
day?

malcolm

I have a Avondale Avocet with a Alarm and a Status Aerial this aerial has a
amplifier which draws current, which combined with the Alarm runs the
battery down quite quickly. Its a good idea to switch off the aerial
amplifier and the lighting circuit. The alarm will still funtion because it
is wired directly to the battery. Its a good idea to check the battery one a
month. Because, if say a mouse ( or come to that a spider), could set off
the alarm. I had a mouse doing this, it was eating the toothpaste and soap.
this mouse got used to the alarm so made a few visits which ran down the
battery in no time. It was heard on the storage site but took time to
isolate that it was my van making the noise, because the alarm would only
sound for 20 minutes reset and only come on again when the mouse came in
view of the PIR.
Mike

Old October 18th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Thus proving a leakage path for the battery exists in the Avondale you had.

Cheers, Peter.

"Stewart" wrote in message
: My last caravan was an Avondale and in it the battery never held its charge
: even with nothing switched on, usually lasted 2 or 3 weeks but could not
: withstand one week's usage on a CL.
: Same battery is now in my Bailey and gives no bother at all.
:
: ...

Old October 19th 03, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Robinson

As others have suggested there are several things that could be draining
the battery. I would measure the current draw from the battery, and start
disconnecting things till you find out whats drawing the power to flatten
the battery.

Stuart.
Old October 19th 03, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:37:34 +0100, "Lynn"
wrote:

| i have recently upgraded to a larger caraven and now find after a couple of
| weeks in storage the battery is flat. The only difference between my old
| caravan anfd the new one is it has an alarm system.
|
| Should this drain the battery, it seems to defeat the object of having one
| if it only works some of the time?
|
| Or are caravan alarms more for when you are connected and go out for the
| day?

Is there any way you can leave the van permanently on mains supply, to
charge the battery?
Remember to top the battery up every month or two.

Dave F

Old October 19th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| i have recently upgraded to a larger caraven and now find after a couple of
| weeks in storage the battery is flat. The only difference between my old
| caravan anfd the new one is it has an alarm system.
|
| Should this drain the battery, it seems to defeat the object of having one
| if it only works some of the time?

A car alarm system if left enabled, will flatten a car battery in a
couple of weeks. As those who leave their cars alarmed in an Airport
car park and go off for a fortnight often find.

Whether or not a caravan type alarm would draw as much as a car one I
don't know, but the obvious thing to do (as suggested by Stuart) is to
check the current being drawn with everything except for the alarm
turned off.

To measure this, set your meter on the one amp range and disconnect one
of the battery terminals from the battery. The two probes of your meter
should now be placed between the battery lug and the terminal you have
just removed (in series). DO NOT CONNECT THE METER ACROSS THE BATTERY,
it will be instantly destroyed. It should of the order of a few
milliamps. This divided into the amp hour capacity of the battery
should give a conservative estimate of how long it should be able to
keep the alarm going for, in the number of hours.

I would expect it to work out at no more than perhaps a month. If there
is no on site means of providing a permanent mains charge to the
battery, then your options are as follows:-

1. Turn the alarm off
2. Give the battery a regular charge at home
3. Perhaps the most useful solution... Fit a solar panel and charge
controller

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old October 19th 03, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
| i have recently upgraded to a larger caraven and now find after a

couple of
| weeks in storage the battery is flat. The only difference between my

old
| caravan anfd the new one is it has an alarm system.
|
| Should this drain the battery, it seems to defeat the object of having

one
| if it only works some of the time?

A car alarm system if left enabled, will flatten a car battery in a
couple of weeks. As those who leave their cars alarmed in an Airport
car park and go off for a fortnight often find.

Whether or not a caravan type alarm would draw as much as a car one I
don't know, but the obvious thing to do (as suggested by Stuart) is to
check the current being drawn with everything except for the alarm
turned off.

To measure this, set your meter on the one amp range and disconnect one
of the battery terminals from the battery. The two probes of your meter
should now be placed between the battery lug and the terminal you have
just removed (in series). DO NOT CONNECT THE METER ACROSS THE BATTERY,
it will be instantly destroyed. It should of the order of a few
milliamps. This divided into the amp hour capacity of the battery
should give a conservative estimate of how long it should be able to
keep the alarm going for, in the number of hours.

I would expect it to work out at no more than perhaps a month. If there
is no on site means of providing a permanent mains charge to the
battery, then your options are as follows:-

1. Turn the alarm off
2. Give the battery a regular charge at home
3. Perhaps the most useful solution... Fit a solar panel and charge
controller

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Bear in mind that some insurance companies require you to arm the alarm when
leaving the van unattended, if you claim the 10% discount for using an
alarm.
Mike