Completely OT about a diesel Engine But Im sure one of you lot will

Old October 18th 03, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alex.haden

Default Completely OT about a diesel Engine But Im sure one of you lot will

OK

Im buying a Caravan, so that Qualify's me to use your brains!

I have a fairly new 1.9 Pug diesel (NT), we have had it for 6 months
now, and racked up 13k on it. Now over the past few weeks, when we
start it up in the morning the engine makes a funny low rattle niose,
but as soon as you put it in gear and drive off the rattle goes. Then
when you put the clutch in to change to 2nd, the noise is back, but as
soon as you lift your foot from the clutch, the noise goes. And so on as
you go up the gears. (The noise seems to get quieter as you go up the
gears to 5th)

Now this happens most of the time, but if the cars been running for a
while, it sometimes just stops happening, and then again it sometimes
happens all the time....Weird eh?

Im going to have to take it back Into Pugeout, but im hoping to give
them some more of a suggestion, as i know what they will say when i tell
them...."well i have this noise that sometimes happens, and sometimes
doesnt"

Ta!

Old October 18th 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gray

Default Completely OT about a diesel Engine But Im sure one of you lot will know :-)

Sounds like My Laguna
Either a dry engine mount OR Exhaust rattle on idle

Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad
...... but it helps
"alex.haden" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old October 18th 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TiredofFools

"alex.haden" wrote in message
[...]

-------

It's shagged.

Buy another one.

Old October 18th 03, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alex.haden

Default Completely OT about a diesel Engine But Im sure one of you lot

Errrrrrm,

Whats a dry engine mount? (i dont think its the exhaust, as the noise
is coming from the engine compartnemt)

Old October 19th 03, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Hazarding a guess I would think that there is something loose to do with the
clutch, possibly the release arm or release bearing. Mine occasionally gives a
dry wheezing when starting from rest first start of the day. The other cause
could be that the clutch cable outer is resting near a loose component in the
engine bay sometimes allowing it to rattle and sometimes not (perhaps dependant
on tension in the clutch cable, or position of the clutch operating hydraulic
pipeline). Some clutches have a metal cover where the operating arm goes into
the housing which gets loose.

Cheers, Peter.

"TiredofFools" wrote in message
:
: "alex.haden" wrote in message
: ...
: OK
:
[...]
: -------
:
:
: It's shagged.
:
: Buy another one.
:
:

Old October 19th 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gray

The mounting blocks apparently need to have a form of silicon wax on them to
prevent deterioration this can be lost if the engine has been steam cleaned

Old October 19th 03, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

It could be a broken or loose spring in the clutch plate, even a loose
baffle in the silencer of the exhaust.

I'd put my money on the clutch mechanism. Release bearing sloppy on its
mounts or other loose bits within the housing.
Cars with the hdi engine, according to Honest John- has had more than its
share of clutch assembly failures.
I've got one and it seems ok to date, apart from having to install a bodge
to take up excessive free play. Their "self adjusting" mechanism being
ineffective.
DaveK.