The end is nigh!!

Old October 18th 03, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MJG

Default The end is nigh!!

So does the DOT announcement timed to co-incicide with the birth of 'son of
Chancellor' mean the days of caravanning and motorhoming are doomed i.e.
need to tow van = bigger car=bigger engine=more fuel=punitive road tax.

What do the NG think, is the death knell for caravanning??

--
MJG

Take THEDOG out to email me.

Old October 18th 03, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Being a Scotsman I would think the chancellor would be down to his dealer right
now ordering an American RV based on a Peterbuilt articulated chassis. Since he
saw Chris Eubank's Kenwood artic the other day he has drooled over the
catalogues.

Cheers, Peter.

:
: What do the NG think, is the death knell for caravanning??
:
:
: --
: MJG
:
: Take THEDOG out to email me.
:
:
:

Old October 19th 03, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Funkyman

"MJG" wrote in message
So does the DOT announcement timed to co-incicide with the birth of 'son

of
Chancellor' mean the days of caravanning and motorhoming are doomed i.e.
need to tow van = bigger car=bigger engine=more fuel=punitive road tax.

What do the NG think, is the death knell for caravanning??

Another stealth tax, my point is that some of the bigger engined cars
probably emit less emissions than the smaller ones without cats.

This should be addressed in some way and marked on log sheets.
I could never go down to a little engine, I am to used to the comfort and
power.

Dave

Old October 19th 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Funkyman" wrote in message

So does the DOT announcement timed to co-incicide with the birth of 'son

of
Chancellor' mean the days of caravanning and motorhoming are doomed i.e.
need to tow van = bigger car=bigger engine=more fuel=punitive road tax.

What do the NG think, is the death knell for caravanning??

Another stealth tax, my point is that some of the bigger engined cars
probably emit less emissions than the smaller ones without cats.

This should be addressed in some way and marked on log sheets.
I could never go down to a little engine, I am to used to the comfort and
power.

Dave

Not sure I agree. The new bands, when they were introduced, were designed at
a later stage for the higher polluters to be charged more. So there is
nothing new in this, its just pay back time of a sorts. Small cars have to
meet the omission criteria before they can benefit from the really low tax.
If we are serious about trying to control pollution we have to do something.
Someone who can afford to a new V8 Range Rover is hardly going to be
concerned about another couple of hundred quid on the price of his car.
Those that it will affect are those, probably caravanners, who buy big cars
to tow caravans. Their best option in future would be to buy diesel.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old October 19th 03, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
john

Why is it all ways the bloke with the Range Rover who gets it on these
groups? For the Record Mine Runs on Gas has a 4.8 litre lump in it and is my
only every day transport. ( yes I do know the Engines sizes, but mine has
had a rebuild!)

John

Not sure I agree. The new bands, when they were introduced, were designed

at
a later stage for the higher polluters to be charged more. So there is
nothing new in this, its just pay back time of a sorts. Small cars have to
meet the omission criteria before they can benefit from the really low

tax.
If we are serious about trying to control pollution we have to do

something.
Someone who can afford to a new V8 Range Rover is hardly going to be
concerned about another couple of hundred quid on the price of his car.
Those that it will affect are those, probably caravanners, who buy big

cars
to tow caravans. Their best option in future would be to buy diesel.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

Old October 19th 03, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"john" wrote in message
Why is it all ways the bloke with the Range Rover who gets it on these
groups? For the Record Mine Runs on Gas has a 4.8 litre lump in it and is

my
only every day transport. ( yes I do know the Engines sizes, but mine has
had a rebuild!)

John

If your Range Rover runs on gas surely you will be able to take advantage of
the lower rates as it will produce lower emissions? What we don't know at
the moment is whether the tax bands will apply to vehicles registered before
2001. I suspect not as those of us with cars registered before 2001 have not
had the benefit of the lower tax.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old October 20th 03, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Walker

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:35:56 +0100, Funkyman wrote:

"MJG" wrote in message
So does the DOT announcement timed to co-incicide with the birth of 'son

of
Chancellor' mean the days of caravanning and motorhoming are doomed i.e.
need to tow van = bigger car=bigger engine=more fuel=punitive road tax.

What do the NG think, is the death knell for caravanning??

Another stealth tax, my point is that some of the bigger engined cars
probably emit less emissions than the smaller ones without cats.

I can't see any reason for it other than to increase tax take. Higher
poluting cars (based on CO2 emissions) are surely higher users of
petrol/diesel and therefore pay more already. This is just another tax that
will hit the less well off in society - the family that need a bigger car
because of the children or need to tow a caravan to afford cheaper holidays
wil pay more.

We should just scrap the "road fund licence" and bung the extra on fuel
(tax neutral though). The goverment argue that taxing the car is the only
time they have "contact" with us to check documents - so make MOTs
mandatory from new (do faults really not exist for three years), make
producing your documents part of the MOT and issue MOT badges to go on the
windscreen. Problem solved.

I know that this way I'd end up paying more because of my mileage, but it
seems much fairer to me.

This should be addressed in some way and marked on log sheets.
I could never go down to a little engine, I am to used to the comfort and
power.

Dave

I find getting onto the motorway at the local junction much more difficult
with my wife's smaller engined car - the whole junction is steeply uphill
from a standing start and getting up to the speed of the motorway traffic
by the end of the sliproad is problematic. Overtaking can be impossible at
places where I would comfortably pass in my own car. Her car definitely
won't tow the van either!

Steve W