Tyre repair kits?

Old October 19th 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Default Tyre repair kits?

Hi,

I've just been to a car accessory dealer, in which I saw a 'tubeless
tyre repair kit' of a type I have not seen for 30 years....

It comprised 3 miniature air cylinders, an applicator, a gadget for
roughening the inside of the hole to be repaired, a device a little
like a large sewing needle with an eye, rubber solution and some wedge
shaped rubbers.

On the rear of the packaging in small lettering it said 'tubeless tyre
repair kit for motorcycles'. Obviously you remove the nail or screw
from the tyre, clean out the hole, then force one of the rubber wedges
in covered in rubber solution, then use the air cylinders to re-inflate
the tyre.

I was of the impression that these DIY tyre repairs had been made
illegal in the UK, and that all repairs had to be (what's the word...
heat welded?) is their some exception which allows motorcycle tyres to
be repaired at the road-side?

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old October 19th 03, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have a similar kit on my motorcycle. The idea is an emergency repair to
allow you to get gently to a tyre depot. They are not meant to be a
permanent repair, and no sensible motorcyclist would risk hacking along at
high speed with such a repair.

Bill

Old October 19th 03, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article , barnacle54
@hotmail.com says...

| I have a similar kit on my motorcycle. The idea is an emergency repair to
| allow you to get gently to a tyre depot. They are not meant to be a
| permanent repair, and no sensible motorcyclist would risk hacking along at
| high speed with such a repair.

So is this type of repair acceptable for temporary car and caravan tyre
repairs? Having only two wheels, I would have thought they would be
even less acceptable for motorcycles than other vehicles.

Old October 19th 03, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
In article , barnacle54
@hotmail.com says...

| I have a similar kit on my motorcycle. The idea is an emergency
repair to | allow you to get gently to a tyre depot. They are not
meant to be a | permanent repair, and no sensible motorcyclist would
risk hacking along at | high speed with such a repair.

So is this type of repair acceptable for temporary car and caravan
tyre repairs? Having only two wheels, I would have thought they would
be
even less acceptable for motorcycles than other vehicles.

I've used these repair kits (I believe their use was pioneered by BMW,
and BMW dealers sell them as a spare part) on three occasions on my
motorcycle and they are a God send .... sure you're limited to about 40
mph for about 300mile range but 40 mph getting home is far better than 0
mph stuck somewhere.

Given I've been unfortunate enough to have had the last 6 tyres get
punctured I would'nt leave home without them )

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://wrexhamseals.tripod.com

Old October 19th 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:45:40 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

In article , barnacle54
says...

| I have a similar kit on my motorcycle. The idea is an emergency repair to
| allow you to get gently to a tyre depot. They are not meant to be a
| permanent repair, and no sensible motorcyclist would risk hacking along at
| high speed with such a repair.

So is this type of repair acceptable for temporary car and caravan tyre
repairs? Having only two wheels, I would have thought they would be
even less acceptable for motorcycles than other vehicles.

The difference is that motorcycles only have those two wheels.

Most four wheel cars actually have five wheels, so should be able to
use the spare to get to where the tyre can be properly repaired or
replaced. Motorbikes do not have that option.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I have enough trouble single-tasking!

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old October 19th 03, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:24:31 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

Most four wheel cars actually have five wheels, so should be able to
use the spare to get to where the tyre can be properly repaired or
replaced. Motorbikes do not have that option.

[T] Indeed, so that's why we have 'installed' Ultraseal in both our
motorbikes and all the trailers! The idea being with the trailers
(including the Rapido folding Van) is often by the time you have
realised something is wrong (say a slow puncture) you have run the
tyre for several miles partially inflated and the damage is done,
assuming it hasn't been shredded already?

It's a pink gunge, squirted in through the valve hole (with valve stem
removed) and it stays in there for trhe life of the tyre (6 years?).

Instantly fixes std 'punctures' and allows slow deflation with worse
damage (rather than maybe a blowout).

Non corrrosive, won't freeze, self balancing, water soluable (so no
problem at your tyre fitters) and is supposed to make your tyres last
longer by dispersing the heat.

One of our BMW motorcycle club came home from a trip across Africa
with a fairly bald rear tyre. On removal it turned out she would have
had 10 punctures?

This is not a 'get you home' thing although I *have* used it to repair
a 'puncture' after it happened on a mates Honda Fireblade and the rear
wheel of the Sierra with no problems with either.

Jut my opinion and no connection etc ..

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. They 'tested' this stuff in the states by shooting with a .22
rifle into the tyre of a big 4x4 truck whilst it was driving about in
a gravel pit. When the truck stopped there was no pressure loss and
the bullet was loose inside the wheel. ;-) The stuff's not *cheap* but
neither is an upturned caravan?
Old October 20th 03, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

wrote:

[...]

(didn't see this appear on the ng so I'll post it again .. sorry if it
repeats)
Old October 20th 03, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

wrote:

Most four wheel cars actually have five wheels, so should be able to
use the spare to get to where the tyre can be properly repaired or
replaced. Motorbikes do not have that option.

[T] Indeed, so that's why we have 'installed' Ultraseal in both our
motorbikes and all the trailers! The idea being with the trailers
(including the Rapido folding Van) is often by the time you have
realised something is wrong (say a slow puncture) you have run the
tyre for several miles partially inflated and the damage is done,
assuming it hasn't been shredded already?

It's a pink gunge, squirted in through the valve hole (with valve stem
removed) and it stays in there for trhe life of the tyre (6 years?).

6 years .... jeepers your motorbike tyres last better than mine Tim ;o)
.... 16 weeks more like [1] ... and as you know about 200 quid a time to
replace 'em ;o(

[1] if I'm lucky

Old October 20th 03, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:02:42 +0100, "Steve Parry"
wrote:

6 years .... jeepers your motorbike tyres last better than mine Tim ;o)

[T] I'm just old Steve .. ;-)

... 16 weeks more like [1] ... and as you know about 200 quid a time to
replace 'em ;o(

[T] Ouch! .. you need to sell that Blade and get an old BMW R100RT ..
6k miles on the rear and 10k on the front for £100 fitted .. and I
tow a trailer and can easily break the UK speed limit (with or without
the trailer g) and all at 55 mpg ... :-) Oh, and 250 miles between
fillups ... and £130 Comp ... hmmm ... heated grips .... oh, and wave
goodbye to yer street cred ;-)

[1] if I'm lucky

[T] Ooops .... all down to the wrist action (so I'm told ..)

Ride safe ..

T i m

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R100RTmono.htm
Old October 20th 03, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

wrote:

6 years .... jeepers your motorbike tyres last better than mine Tim
;o)

[T] I'm just old Steve .. ;-)

... 16 weeks more like [1] ... and as you know about 200 quid a time
to replace 'em ;o(

[T] Ouch! .. you need to sell that Blade and get an old BMW R100RT ..
6k miles on the rear and 10k on the front for 100 fitted .. and I
tow a trailer and can easily break the UK speed limit (with or without
the trailer g) and all at 55 mpg ... :-) Oh, and 250 miles between
fillups ... and 130 Comp ... hmmm ... heated grips .... oh, and wave
goodbye to yer street cred ;-)

[1] if I'm lucky

[T] Ooops .... all down to the wrist action (so I'm told ..)

Ride safe ..

T i m

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R100RTmono.htm

'Blade ... oh no ... just a Avon radial equipped K100RS SE ABS ;o)

http://slparry.tripod.com/K100PAGE.HTM