Waste water disposal

Old October 20th 03, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Waste water disposal

Hi all,

I was on a caravan rally this weekend and I noticed a couple of people were
not using the conventional waste water collection method.

The waste pipes were connected to a small yellow cylindrical water sediment
filter which also dispersed the waste water slowly but directly onto the
ground under the caravan/cylinder.

Can anyone give more details about these, I haven't seen them before. For
example are they generally acceptable, pros and cons etc.

Cheers ....... Richard

---

Old October 20th 03, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Richard" wrote in message
I was on a caravan rally this weekend and I noticed a couple of people

were
not using the conventional waste water collection method.
The waste pipes were connected to a small yellow cylindrical water

sediment
filter which also dispersed the waste water slowly but directly onto the
ground under the caravan/cylinder.
Can anyone give more details about these, I haven't seen them before. For
example are they generally acceptable, pros and cons etc.

I haven't seen the device you mention but it sounds useful for those sites
that are only occasionally used for rallies (farmer's fields etc). But
there's no way I can see them being accepted on sites that are frequently
used. Who wants to arrive on site and have to use a pitch contaminated with
someone else's soakage?

Old October 20th 03, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Sigmund" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in message
I was on a caravan rally this weekend and I noticed a couple of people

were
not using the conventional waste water collection method.
The waste pipes were connected to a small yellow cylindrical water

sediment
filter which also dispersed the waste water slowly but directly onto the
ground under the caravan/cylinder.
Can anyone give more details about these, I haven't seen them before.

For
example are they generally acceptable, pros and cons etc.

I haven't seen the device you mention but it sounds useful for those sites
that are only occasionally used for rallies (farmer's fields etc). But
there's no way I can see them being accepted on sites that are frequently
used.

I agree with your overall comments, and I was surprised when I saw these
units (unless I mis-understand the function). I wasn't so sure they are even
acceptable for rallies.

Who wants to arrive on site and have to use a pitch contaminated with
someone else's soakage?

Not me, and I doubt many others do either

Richard

---

Old October 20th 03, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gray

I can see their uses for Wild Camping
I cannot see many site owners actually permitting their use once they
realise what they are

I Certainly would NOT want to use the pitch after they had been

my PERSONAL opinion ---- LAZY BUGGERS

Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad
...... but it helps

Old October 21st 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Gray wrote:
I can see their uses for Wild Camping
I cannot see many site owners actually permitting their use once they
realise what they are

I Certainly would NOT want to use the pitch after they had been

my PERSONAL opinion ---- LAZY BUGGERS

If the water being released from these devices is 'clean', and if the tubing
is sufficiently long to enable the water to drain into the bushes at the
rear of the pitch, then I cannot see anything wrong with this at all.
Plenty of water comes out of the sky when it rains - and during droughts
everyone is encouraged to throw dish-washing water onto the garden so what
is the problem?
I go caravanning for the enjoyment of visiting different places - strangely
I get no enjoyment at all out of lugging water containers around. Whenever I
can I opt for a 'super-pitch' but sadly there aren't nearly enough of these
around. Anything that can remove some of the less onerous 'duties' involved
with caravanning without causing problems is ok by me.

Kev

Old October 21st 03, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Gray wrote:
I Certainly would NOT want to use the pitch after they had been

If the water being released from these devices is 'clean',

Filter devices may remove the lumpy bits but they won't destroy bacteria.
'Clear' water is not necessarily 'clean' water.

and if the tubing
is sufficiently long to enable the water to drain into the bushes at the
rear of the pitch, then I cannot see anything wrong with this at all.

And when you leave the pitch and the toddler of the next occupant crawls
under the bush ....

Plenty of water comes out of the sky when it rains

But rain doesn't contain food scraps (possibly already beginning to rot),
toothpaste rinsings (the human mouth is one of the most germ-ridden parts of
the body), body residues from washing and showering (sweat, hairs, dead
skin) and traces of chemicals - oven cleaner, bleach and so on.

- and during droughts
everyone is encouraged to throw dish-washing water onto the garden so what
is the problem?

It's your water and your garden so there's no problem. Would your neighbour
thank you if, unasked, you threw your water on his garden though? What
would you think if you saw him, unasked, chuck a bucket of suds into your
garden?

I go caravanning for the enjoyment of visiting different places -

strangely
I get no enjoyment at all out of lugging water containers around.

I agree it's a chore but it needs to be done. Waste 'grey' water can be a
health hazard and should be disposed of in the proper way.

Whenever I
can I opt for a 'super-pitch' but sadly there aren't nearly enough of

these
around. Anything that can remove some of the less onerous 'duties'

involved
with caravanning without causing problems is ok by me.

I'm sure that more superpitches will appear, the few that I've checked out
so far have all carried an extra charge, some of up to 5 a day, for using
them so I'll carry on hauling water for the time being.

Old October 23rd 03, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Sigmund wrote:
"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Gray wrote:
I Certainly would NOT want to use the pitch after they had been

If the water being released from these devices is 'clean',

Filter devices may remove the lumpy bits but they won't destroy
bacteria. 'Clear' water is not necessarily 'clean' water.

Bacteria is everywhere. Don't forget that animals and birds are also
leaving their deposits in those self-same bushes. Organic matter is
constantly dropping off trees and rotting on the ground.

and if the tubing
is sufficiently long to enable the water to drain into the bushes at
the rear of the pitch, then I cannot see anything wrong with this at
all.

And when you leave the pitch and the toddler of the next occupant
crawls under the bush ....

So it's a bit damp - just like it is after it's been raining!!

Plenty of water comes out of the sky when it rains

But rain doesn't contain food scraps (possibly already beginning to
rot), toothpaste rinsings (the human mouth is one of the most
germ-ridden parts of the body), body residues from washing and
showering (sweat, hairs, dead skin) and traces of chemicals - oven
cleaner, bleach and so on.

See above. The ground is riddled with all sorts of rotting organic matter
plus the waste products of animals and birds!

- and during droughts
everyone is encouraged to throw dish-washing water onto the garden
so what is the problem?

It's your water and your garden so there's no problem. Would your
neighbour thank you if, unasked, you threw your water on his garden
though? What would you think if you saw him, unasked, chuck a bucket
of suds into your garden?

Totally different argument - what we are talking about is allowing filtered
waste water to drain into the waste ground in between pitches. I've been on
several CL's where the owners have simply stated - throw your grey waste
into the bushes. It really doesn't do any harm!

I go caravanning for the enjoyment of visiting different places -
strangely I get no enjoyment at all out of lugging water containers
around.

I agree it's a chore but it needs to be done. Waste 'grey' water can
be a health hazard and should be disposed of in the proper way.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree! I don't think that filtered grey
water is any more hazardous than the waste deposited by the bunny rabbits
and ducks that wander around many caravan sites.

Whenever I
can I opt for a 'super-pitch' but sadly there aren't nearly enough
of these around. Anything that can remove some of the less onerous
'duties' involved with caravanning without causing problems is ok by
me.

I'm sure that more superpitches will appear, the few that I've
checked out so far have all carried an extra charge, some of up to 5
a day, for using them so I'll carry on hauling water for the time
being.

Generally the additional charge is only around 1 per day which is well
worth it IMO for the saving in energy in not having to fill aqua rolls and
empty wastemasters!

Kev

Old November 18th 03, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

[...]

I couldn't agree more - and I'd like to know more about the device. Not that
we put anything solid down the waste ...

Mary

Mary

Old November 18th 03, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Sigmund wrote:
"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Gray wrote:
[...]

I was going to reply to the post but you've covered all but one of my
points - that of dead bodies being all over the surface of and under the
ground.

Also, the last sentence seems to give away the intent - the cost. If the
poster wasn't charged presumably he'd be OK about dumping his waste.

I wonder how he'd square his conscience about next door's toddler if he were
PAID to use the device?

Mary

Kev

Old November 18th 03, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ira G Walters

A solution I often adopt is to use an empty 5L plastic container (typically
an ex-vinegar container).Cut out a section about 6" x 4" along the length of
the container and drill numerous holes on the opposite side. Place the
container on the ground - section with the drill-outs touching the ground -
and insert the waste pipe(s) in the area cut out.

Fill the container quite tightly-packed with straw, grass etc. to act as a
'natural' waste filter. Filtered waste water thus reaches the ground and at
the end of the weekend, empty the container and its 'filter' contents in the
dry waste facility on-site.

I know I'm not alone in using that alternative to innumerable visits to the
waste water disposal point - and useful though those visits might be for
social intercourse - they're not exactly the highlights of a relaxing time
away with the 'van!

Ira

et...