Wahoo! The fridge .. 'he's alive' ..

Old October 21st 03, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

Default Wahoo! The fridge .. 'he's alive' ..

So,

After the last good cleanout of the jet (I think) burner area (for
sure), some patience and with good advice (and cautions) from this
list it would seem the old WestWinter portable 3way fridge is
working!

So, I:

1) externally cleaned all the plumbing

2) proved it worked on 12 and 240V

3) realised it was designed for 50mbar (though I might re-test it on
28?) and bought a 50mbar reg. (I can't remember seeing a difference in
the flame so that could be a red kipper)

4) Checked it had a baffle in the flue ;-)

5) Cleaned the jet (of sorts {1}) and cleaned all the c~*p out of the
burner area.

6) Given it enough time to 'work' (gas still much slower to work than
electric?)

What I haven't done yet (as I broke my nice brewing / jam making
thermometer yesterday) is see how cold it gets on electric versus gas
(should it be the same and would the size of the flame affect this?).

So, all I have to find out now is why this fridge doesn't smell when
on gas and the Camping Gaz one does ....sigh (seems to be a nice
blue flame etc ..)

All the best and thanks again to all that have helped (and everyone
who answers is helping .. even if it only makes me laugh about it!)

T i m "Two fridge" Caravanner ..

{1} The (tin) jet still has an 'obstruction' .. could be how it was
made ... thoughts please?

Old October 21st 03, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:11:43 +0100, T i m wrote:

| What I haven't done yet (as I broke my nice brewing / jam making
| thermometer yesterday) is see how cold it gets on electric versus gas
| (should it be the same and would the size of the flame affect this?).

The temperature should be between 1 and 4 deg C, or with slightly wider
limits 0 to 5 deg C. on both Mains Electric and Gas. My fridge is
adjustable on both power supplies.

There are many very cheap and *good* electronic probe thermometers on sale
now, consider one of those. Maplin and others sell many versions.

Dave F
Old October 21st 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:11:43 +0100, T i m wrote:

| What I haven't done yet (as I broke my nice brewing / jam making
| thermometer yesterday) is see how cold it gets on electric versus gas
| (should it be the same and would the size of the flame affect this?).

The temperature should be between 1 and 4 deg C, or with slightly wider
limits 0 to 5 deg C. on both Mains Electric and Gas. My fridge is
adjustable on both power supplies.

There are many very cheap and *good* electronic probe thermometers on sale
now, consider one of those. Maplin and others sell many versions.

Dave F

I bought one of those weather stations for I think a fiver or tenner a few
weeks ago and it is very useful to pop the remote transponder in interesting
places, such as the freezer compartment, or fridge proper or...... ;-) And
of course it gives time, date, day, tomorrow's weather, temp in caravan,
humidity, as well.

Paul

Old October 21st 03, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:00:56 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:11:43 +0100, T i m wrote:

| What I haven't done yet (as I broke my nice brewing / jam making
| thermometer yesterday) is see how cold it gets on electric versus gas
| (should it be the same and would the size of the flame affect this?).

The temperature should be between 1 and 4 deg C, or with slightly wider
limits 0 to 5 deg C. on both Mains Electric and Gas.

[T] Thanks for that .. I'll keep an eye on the temps.

My fridge is
adjustable on both power supplies.

[T] Do you mean yours is only 240V/ Gas Dave? My 3way is thermostatic
on mains and gas but not 12V?

There are many very cheap and *good* electronic probe thermometers on sale
now, consider one of those. Maplin and others sell many versions.

[T] Good thought .. I have a nice DMM with a remote probe but there
are times when a nice std thermometer is just much simpler? ;-)

Dave F

Thanks Dave .. ;-)

T i m
Old October 21st 03, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:47:00 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Agreed, but you can pick up fridge thermometers at the market for
around a £1 each.

[T] That's a good idea .. one of those stick on fridge thermometers
that could stay in there all the time and is less likely to get
broken?

All the best ..

T i m
Old October 22nd 03, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:18:55 +0100, T i m wrote:

| On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:00:56 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:11:43 +0100, T i m wrote:

| My fridge is
| adjustable on both power supplies.
|
| [T] Do you mean yours is only 240V/ Gas Dave? My 3way is thermostatic
| on mains and gas but not 12V?

Mine an Electrolux has a control to vary the temperature when using gas and
a different control to vary the the temperature when using Mains
electricity. Both AFAIK work by controling the setting point of a
thermostat in exactly the same way as my household fridge and freezer
There is no control on 12 V, I am told that it will only keep the fridge
cold if it has already been taken down to temp using gas or mains
electricity.

Dave F