Re- OT NTL lost email

Old October 21st 03, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barleycorn

Default Re- OT NTL lost email

My email finally came back this morning - 365 messages!!, 350 of which were
spam, thank goodness for spamtrap. If Hotmail can filter out a good
proportion of spam you would not think it beyond the wit of NTL.

I made a real nuisance of myself ringing up NTL's head office in Hook,
contact details as follows, for anyone else in the same situation. I even
got the complaints line to ring me back on my mobile!

NTL House
Bartley Wood Business Park
Bartley Way
Hook
Hampshire
RG27 9UP

Telephone 01256 752000
Fax 01256 752100

Chief Executive Officer, Simon Duffy
Managing Director, NTL Home Aizad Hussain
Managing Director, NTL Business Tom Bennie
Managing Director, NTL Broadcast Peter Douglas

Old October 21st 03, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Barleycorn" wrote in message
My email finally came back this morning - 365 messages!!,

I often get mail delivery failure report if I send an email to a user who
has NTL as their ISP. It only happens with NTL ...... they are the pits of
an ISP. The problem is they have little money. Imo you should change your
ISP.

350 of which were
spam, thank goodness for spamtrap. If Hotmail can filter out a good
proportion of spam you would not think it beyond the wit of NTL.

BTOpenworld offer SPAM filter (optional feature) ..... some virus protection
at 'ISP end' also I believe, and a fee based protection system for your own
PC (if you want it).

Cheers ......... Richard

---

Old October 21st 03, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

Richard wrote:

"Barleycorn" wrote in message
My email finally came back this morning - 365 messages!!,

I often get mail delivery failure report if I send an email to a user who
has NTL as their ISP. It only happens with NTL ...... they are the pits of
an ISP. The problem is they have little money. Imo you should change your
ISP.

350 of which were
spam, thank goodness for spamtrap. If Hotmail can filter out a good
proportion of spam you would not think it beyond the wit of NTL.

BTOpenworld offer SPAM filter (optional feature) ..... some virus protection
at 'ISP end' also I believe, and a fee based protection system for your own
PC (if you want it).

Cheers ......... Richard

Isn't a web based e-mail provider - such as Yahoo - an option?

Tony
Old October 21st 03, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Big Tim

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:58:05 +0100, Tony Hayes wrote:

Richard wrote:

"Barleycorn" wrote in message
My email finally came back this morning - 365 messages!!,

I often get mail delivery failure report if I send an email to a user who
has NTL as their ISP. It only happens with NTL ...... they are the pits of
an ISP. The problem is they have little money. Imo you should change your
ISP.

350 of which were
spam, thank goodness for spamtrap. If Hotmail can filter out a good
proportion of spam you would not think it beyond the wit of NTL.

BTOpenworld offer SPAM filter (optional feature) ..... some virus protection
at 'ISP end' also I believe, and a fee based protection system for your own
PC (if you want it).

Cheers ......... Richard

Isn't a web based e-mail provider - such as Yahoo - an option?

Tony

Which in my experience is where most SPAM comes from and as such
anything from Yahoo goes straight into the "bin".

You could find yourself not being able to email people you know
because they have the same policy.

HTH

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
Old October 21st 03, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

Richard wrote:

[...]

Strange - I have NTL and Yahoo e-mail accounts. I get about 100 spam mails
through NTL daily, but have never had one through Yahoo.

Tony
Old October 21st 03, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Big Tim

Richard wrote:

[...]

Just checked my email filters. Yep, Yahoo.com, .co.uk, .fr and
Hotmail are in there. It seems that some of the web based are easy to
sign up to and as a result get used by spammers for as long as the ISP
lets the account stay live.

It makes sense to have more than one email address, one for where you
have to give your details, the other for giving out to "trusted"
others. Thats the handy thing about NTL and Blueyonder (in my
experience), that you can setup aliases and when one gets overwhelmed
then you can just drop that alias (although you need to let your
trusted's know)

The ratio of spam to real email in my inbox is amazing and very
annoying. I can sign up to stop unsolicited telephone calls, junk
mail and junk faxes, but spam...

er, rant over, sorry