2004 Bookings?

Old October 22nd 03, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

Default 2004 Bookings?

Hi,

Disclaimer....As I am still new to Caravanning

We spent a great weekend at Sandy Balls with some friends, the site was
clean and quite empty and very relaxing. We thought it would be a good idea
to book or atleast enquire about the possibility of easter. We knew before
entering the reception it would be a long shot.

However, I was quite surprised that you could not book there and then and
get confirmation or not for a booking next year. Apparantly you need to
write in or fill in a booking form , these would then be added to a paper
file (currently 4 files) and would then be processed in turn.

Is this common amongst other sites? Do they have online bookings? Why do
they still operate a "paper booking" system?, I would have thought that to
have 2004 bookings (database) at a touch of a button would be quite useful!

regards

Mike

Old October 22nd 03, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jimbo

Why do they still operate a "paper booking" system?, I would have thought
that to
have 2004 bookings (database) at a touch of a button would be quite useful!

It would be very useful, maybe the webmaster does not have the knowledge to
create
one, and they are reluctant to pay the price a professional would charge,

IMO they would recoup the charge, in time saved, ease of use, and satisfy a
lot of users
at the same time

Jimbo
--
remove jukebox to reply
http://www.witzend.org.uk

Old October 22nd 03, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
riccip

"Mike R" wrote:

However, I was quite surprised that you could not book there and then and
get confirmation or not for a booking next year. Apparantly you need to
write in or fill in a booking form , these would then be added to a paper
file (currently 4 files) and would then be processed in turn.

Is this common amongst other sites? Do they have online bookings? Why do
they still operate a "paper booking" system?, I would have thought that to
have 2004 bookings (database) at a touch of a button would be quite useful!

Being such a large and popular site keeping on top of advanced
bookings must be a nightmare. Computerised databases start to
fall apart if more than one person updates them, so the paper
booking confirmation system for "in the flesh" visitors would be
to minimise the possibility of overbooking. You can book via an
email form at their website:
http://www.sandy-balls.co.uk
Old October 22nd 03, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sam Tana

riccip wrote:

Computerised databases start to
fall apart if more than one person updates them

Eh? The whole point of a computerised database is that is absolutely up
to date at all time, and can give you a snapshot of bookings available
at any time. They work much better than a paper system - if staff using
it know what they are doing. They require an initial investment in kit,
of course. It's easier to hammer a long nail through a piece of wood and
use that as a spike on to which hastily scribbled bookings can be stuck. :-)

Sam
Old October 23rd 03, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:19:43 +0100, Sam Tana
wrote:

riccip wrote:

Computerised databases start to
fall apart if more than one person updates them

Eh? The whole point of a computerised database is that is absolutely up
to date at all time, and can give you a snapshot of bookings available
at any time.

There's a known bug with XP whereby it's database locking, well,
doesn't. So if you've got two people updating the same database, one
of them loses their changes.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old October 23rd 03, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

QrizB wrote:

There's a known bug with XP

And XP is the only operating system in the world. Right.

--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old October 23rd 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
riccip

Sam Tana wrote:

Eh? The whole point of a computerised database is that is absolutely up
to date at all time, and can give you a snapshot of bookings available
at any time. They work much better than a paper system - if staff using
it know what they are doing. They require an initial investment in kit,
of course. It's easier to hammer a long nail through a piece of wood and
use that as a spike on to which hastily scribbled bookings can be stuck. :-)

That's certainly true in a corporate setting. But all campsites
are small businesses, even the large ones, and therein lies the
problem. Few small businesses function efficiently in the admin
dept with most revolving around a single computer. The average
site is organised by the female side of a husband-and-wife
partnership. So long as she rabidly guards the computer database
from well-intentioned f***witted employees then overbooking is
unlikely to occur. Paper systems have the added advantage that
staff understand them while the resulting data can still be
stored on the database. As ridiculous as it sounds even today the
"spike" remains essential small biz equipment head and shoulders
above the 'puter.
Old October 23rd 03, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:08:00 GMT, Geoff Lane
wrote:

(QrizB) wrote in :

There's a known bug with XP whereby it's database locking, well,
doesn't. So if you've got two people updating the same database, one
of them loses their changes.

Can you expand on that? Do you have a MS KB or other reference? Which
DBMS's are affected? Is this a general issue with file locking?

I'll have to get back to my friendly database developer for details.

--
QrizB

be fooled.