Home Hook-Up Mystery?

Old October 22nd 03, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Home Hook-Up Mystery?

Hi all,

When out walking, something |I do daily, I see a fair number of caravans
parked in people's driveways with the electric hook up connected. They don't
go anywhere so they aren't 'firing up' the fridge. What do you reckon they
are all doing. Having just acquired my first caravan I wonder if there is a
'chore' I am somehow missing.

Thank you ....... Richard

---

Old October 22nd 03, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I have mine connected all the time, charges the battery and I can use the
socket for power to the garden edge trimmer and grass mower.

Old October 22nd 03, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mick

I hook up the electrics at home as an extra obstacle to deter would be
thieves.
Mick

Old October 22nd 03, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi all,

When out walking, something |I do daily, I see a fair number of caravans
parked in people's driveways with the electric hook up connected. They

don't
go anywhere so they aren't 'firing up' the fridge. What do you reckon they
are all doing. Having just acquired my first caravan I wonder if there is

'chore' I am somehow missing.

Thank you ....... Richard

There's always a job Spouse wants to do which involves drilling or the like
so he keeps a cable attached when we're at home. It's also been used to feed
a convector heater when he's working there or someone's sleeping in the 'van
in cold weather.

But the cable goes from the dining room window, under the 'kitchen' area and
through some plumbing hole into the 'van because we haven't a hook-up. It's
far more useful to have mains power in the 'van at home than when we're
away.

Mary

---

Old October 22nd 03, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Richard tried to scribble ...

Hi all,

When out walking, something |I do daily, I see a fair number of
caravans parked in people's driveways with the electric hook up
connected. They don't go anywhere so they aren't 'firing up' the
fridge. What do you reckon they are all doing. Having just acquired
my first caravan I wonder if there is a 'chore' I am somehow missing.

As we use our 'van most weekends, we tend to keep a small heater in during
the week, set to the very lowest 'frost' setting, just to keep it dry and
aired when it isn't occupied .. and we generally run the fridge continuously
... saves messing ..

It's also handy having some power on for those 'odd' jobs that crop up ..

--
Digweed
'79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette,

Old October 22nd 03, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

just keeping the heating running....just incase I need peace a quiet ;-)

Old October 22nd 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:34:08 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"
wrote:

| Hi all,
|
| When out walking, something |I do daily, I see a fair number of caravans
| parked in people's driveways with the electric hook up connected. They don't
| go anywhere so they aren't 'firing up' the fridge. What do you reckon they
| are all doing. Having just acquired my first caravan I wonder if there is a
| 'chore' I am somehow missing.

Mine connected to a RCB socket in the garage. This is keeping it aired
with electric heating and a thermostat at 7.5 deg C. Keeps the battery
charged (check the electrolite level every couple of months). Costs very
little on the electric bill. Keeps condensation and mould at bay.
That way I do not have to do all the winterising chores and can take it out
whenever I choose.

Dave F

Old October 22nd 03, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Split van Door

I keep the electric heater on a low setting during the winter for a few
hours in the day and night.. This prevents that cold, dampness and freezing
of any water residues. Nice to go and have the odd cuppa in too...make
believe you are still on yer hols! Main advantage is that battery is always
nicely primed for the next trip.

Old October 22nd 03, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike @ www.lefkada-homes.com

"Mike R" wrote:

just keeping the heating running....just incase I need peace a quiet ;-)

My daughter used to do her homework in ours !

--

Mike @ www.lefkada-homes.com
Old October 22nd 03, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:47:33 +0100, kqr wrote:

| In article , Stewart wrote.....
|
| I have mine connected all the time, charges the battery and I can use the
| socket for power to the garden edge trimmer and grass mower.
|
| Now that's what I call kack handed improvisation. VBG
| BTW I do the same to use the Dyson when cleaning the car out.

Actually it is quite sensible because most vans have an RCB which stops you
getting electrocuted if you accidentally cut the trimmer cable or get the
Dyson soaked. When working with electrical equipment outside it is a
very good idea to have a RCB in the line somewhere. B&Q and similar
places have several types in stock.

Dave F