Remis roof lite Replacement

Old October 24th 03, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default Remis roof lite Replacement

This Post is aimed at any caravan dealer or service engineer lurking, who
have experience in changing a Remis roof light without removing the base. I
have a Remis roof light on my Avondale Avocet which has developed crazing of
the inner pane ( outer pane is OK) it looks like it was a fault in
manufacture.
Remis have sent me a replacement roof light (just the top clear plastic
light not the base).

I was told it would be fiddle to work on but not beyond the abilities of a
competent Diy'er. I like to think I am reasonable at DIY.
I tried to change the roof light yesterday apart form the fact it was very
cold and windy and because I could not feel my fingers after 10 minutes I
postponed doing the job until it is warmer.
But when I looked at the job I found the gap to get under the roof light to
get access to the screws at the front was smaller than my hand, bearing in
mind the Avondale has a boat shaped roof it had a bigger gap than a flat
roof van. So I approached it from inside the van, on steps. My Remis is the
tilt and slide type.
To get access to the rear screws is a trial of patience to say the least.
But to get to the front securing screws would necessitate having arms and
hands of a very small child with strength of superman ( well perhaps more
realistically, Jeff Capes ).
I think the best way to appoach the job, (correct me if I'm wrong ) is to
remove the rear screws then pivot the 90 cm square ,large, light up to give
some clearance. Remove the pivots ( screw and captive nut) this would
require a second helper to hold the roof light up, perhaps on a ladder on
the side of the van, suitably protected with say a blanket. Note It is
possible to pivot the Remis if it is fitted on the front of the van as most
vans slope this gives a working space for those who are strong and wiry but
anyone who has average forearms forget it. Anyone with a central or fear
fitted light also forget it you wont be able to pivot the roof light as
there is only an inch clearance between the roof and lower edge of the
light.

Typical of manufacturers to design a product with out thought of maintenance
or replacement due to accidental damage. They are only concerned with the
ergonomics and convenience of manufacture. Remember the old Citroens.

I would estimate that a caravan service engineer would have to charge for 4
hours work at least. At 45 per house plus vat (dont forget that). So we are
talking 200, when with a little forthought in manufacture half an hour at
most.
TIA Mike Sansom

PS it is remiss of Remis to say the least :-(