Propane bottle changeover man. or auto

Old October 24th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Propane bottle changeover man. or auto

Hi all,

On my last rally the propane ran out. Needless to say we discovered this
after returning from a social evening (so dark) which included a 'little
wine', and of course yes it was cold. However, the changeover was completed.

Whilst easy enough I would like to avoid this situation again .... the cold
caravan seemed to dampen my wife's spirit a little ;o).

I would like to include a manual or auto changeover system for the two front
locker mounted (6kg) propane bottles.

So question ...... can anyone recommend an approved manual or auto system
suitable for DIY installation.

Cheers ........ Richard

---

Old October 24th 03, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi all,

On my last rally the propane ran out. Needless to say we discovered this
after returning from a social evening (so dark) which included a 'little
wine', and of course yes it was cold. However, the changeover was

completed.

Whilst easy enough I would like to avoid this situation again .... the

cold
caravan seemed to dampen my wife's spirit a little ;o).

I would like to include a manual or auto changeover system for the two

front
locker mounted (6kg) propane bottles.

So question ...... can anyone recommend an approved manual or auto system
suitable for DIY installation.

Cheers ........ Richard

---

I bought one from my local caravan accessory shop (Leisure Sales in
Cheshire).
Its an Auto system with two High Pressure tails to attach to the (propane)
cylinders and has a standard regulator that attaches via a standard hose, to
the caravan system. It is mounted (with two screws) to the bulkhead behind
and just above the gas cylinders.
It took me about 10 minutes to install.
The make is Reca and the changeover valve has a front plastic bit with a
pointer on it. You point it at the cylinder in use (first one turned on) and
it shows green. When the cylinder empties the valve automatically switches
to the other cylinder and shows red. You then change the empty cylinder
(without interrupting the supply to the caravan) and move the pointer to the
other cylinder to show green again. Quite simple.

Peter.

Old October 24th 03, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

There are plenty available at your local caravan dealer/parts shop and I think
Towsure hold stocks of the necessary kits.

Cheers, Peter.

"Richard" wrote in message
: Hi all,
:
: On my last rally the propane ran out. Needless to say we discovered this
: after returning from a social evening (so dark) which included a 'little
: wine', and of course yes it was cold. However, the changeover was completed.
:
: Whilst easy enough I would like to avoid this situation again .... the cold
: caravan seemed to dampen my wife's spirit a little ;o).
:
: I would like to include a manual or auto changeover system for the two front
: locker mounted (6kg) propane bottles.
:
: So question ...... can anyone recommend an approved manual or auto system
: suitable for DIY installation.
:
: Cheers ........ Richard
:
:
: ---
:
:

Old October 25th 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nomad

The trouble with auto change over systems is unless you have a warning
inside the van that change over has occurred you run the risk of totally
running out of gas.
Nomad

Old October 25th 03, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
There are plenty available at your local caravan dealer/parts shop and I

think
Towsure hold stocks of the necessary kits.

Cheers, Peter.

Recommendation based on experience is worth having though ...... Richard

---

Old October 25th 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
There are plenty available at your local caravan dealer/parts shop and I

think
Towsure hold stocks of the necessary kits.

Cheers, Peter.

Hi Peter et al,

Had a look today ..... locally the one that is sold is the Gasflow
(Autochange). The main features seem about right and the cost is about 60.

Anyone used these ....... Richard

---

Old October 26th 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Edd Berresford

Default Propane bottle changeover - Silly Question!

Does the changeover, switch before the regulator? I expect it does or you
would need two regs. Can it be fitted after the regulator? The reason I ask
is that I would like to have a propane cylinder, and a butane cylinder, and
have a 'switching' system AFTEW the regulators!

Edd Berresford

Old October 26th 03, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Edd Berresford" wrote in message

Hi Edd,

Does the changeover, switch before the regulator? I expect it does or you
would need two regs.

Only read the details on the box _but_ I assumed it was fitted before the
regulator. I 'recall' the picture of the set-up on the box supports this
view. Also, it is designed (and marketed) to switch over between two common
_propane_ cylinders, and achieves this without an interruption in gas
supply. So everything 'running' should remain 'running'.

I think I shall probably go ahead and get one of these as it seems to meet
all my requirements.

Not sure if that is a lot of help ....... Richard

---

Old October 26th 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Richard
writes

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
There are plenty available at your local caravan dealer/parts shop and I

think
Towsure hold stocks of the necessary kits.

Cheers, Peter.

Hi Peter et al,

Had a look today ..... locally the one that is sold is the Gasflow
(Autochange). The main features seem about right and the cost is about 60.

Anyone used these ....... Richard

Yes. I've got one. Fitting is straightforward and they work ok.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid
Old October 26th 03, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Nomad
writes
The trouble with auto change over systems is unless you have a warning
inside the van that change over has occurred you run the risk of totally
running out of gas.
Nomad

********. You simply check occasionally to see if it has switched over.
If so replace the empty cylinder at your leisure. The system will run
quite happily with just one cylinder attached.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid