choice of fire extinquisher

Old July 3rd 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Default choice of fire extinquisher

Hi,

Could you advise this newbie (ish) on the right type of fire extinguisher to
fit in our motor home which is without one. Would it be the foam type? Our
local motor spares has a choice and I am not sure which is right.

Many thanks

ken

Old July 4th 03, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"ken" wrote in message
Hi,

Could you advise this newbie (ish) on the right type of fire extinguisher

Foam is part water and not safe to use around live electrics so shouldnt be
used for inside cars/campers etc. Works by suffocating out the oxygen. Most
useful for exterior burning puddles of petrol etc. Would probably be the
best choice to put out an out of hand barbeque.

The carbon dioxide ones have the disadvantage of the nozzle getting
extremely cold in use. Most inexperienced users tend to grab the nozzle to
direct the spray and get frost "burn".

Powder ones are useable on all types of fire and are not too expensive. The
downside is the mess they make. I didnt realise just how messy until we
fired them off at fire training at work. But then if using one allows your
family to get out safely then the cleaning up is going to be the last
consideration.

We have the powder ones and a fire blanket ( first line of defence for
cookers) as well as smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector ( in house
as well). If we had barbeques I'd probably put a foam one in as well for
outside use.

)

Old July 4th 03, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
QrizB

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 01:09:29 +0100, "Hilary"
wrote:

"ken" wrote in message

Could you advise this newbie (ish) on the right type of fire extinguisher

Foam is part water and not safe to use around live electrics so shouldnt be
used for inside cars/campers etc.

Now, I'm no expert, but the following message was posted on
uk.tech.misc a couple of years ago:

quote
Some bright soul became concerned about the plethora of extinguisher
types found in certain technical locations and the necessity to read
a manual on fire identification before selecting the one to use.
Pressurised water extinguishers filled with "light water" (Aqueous
Film Forming Foam, AFFF, - see
http://international.3m.com/intl/AU/...l#Introduction
for a description) were potentially excellent devices in the
circumstances and had the potential to replace many types of
extinguisher in this particular place.

However, there was a lot of electricity about, and whilst damage to
systems was unimportant damage to the firefighter was considered to
be slightly more important (it meant they wouldn't be able to
continue to fight the fire which would have been REALLY bad news).

Before selecting AFFF we had to try to measure the degree of risk.
After a week of filling extinguishers with AFFF and squirting them in
a test rig at 1000V lines we had achieved nothing so much as a tingle
so we substituted salt water with very little difference. It proved
very difficult to get a solid unbroken water stream.

Eventually we got a plate charged to about 10kV (via a very high
impedance) and a couple of less bright volunteers to squirt salt
water at them. All that happened was that when they got close enough
to get a solid stream (and that really was close) the shock made them
jerk the extinguisher hose and break the water stream. Boring
really.
/quote

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old July 4th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gazz[_2_]

"ken" wrote in message
Hi,

Could you advise this newbie (ish) on the right type of fire extinguisher

fit in our motor home which is without one. Would it be the foam type?

Our
local motor spares has a choice and I am not sure which is right.

others have replied,
but what i found out...

Carbon Dioxide is the best, will put everything out, wood, petrol, gas, can
be used on electrical fires etc, however as the other poster said, they get
cold in use.. any high discharge of a gas will do, hence you must hold the
nozzle by the handle and not the horn,
however for a motorhome or other enclosed space, carbon dioxide isn't that
good a choice, it works by suffocating the fire (prolly cools it too, taking
2 sides of the fire triangle away)
but in an enclosed space, humans can't live on a carbon dioxide rich
atmosphere, so it's not recommended that you use one when you have to breath
the same air.

So the powder extinguishers are the ones most commonly used in vans, they
will put out almost anything, work by suffocating the fire but does it by
laying a blanket of powder over it, where the carbon dioxide extinguishers
displace the oxygen,
The problems with powder extinguishers, the mess they make, and to certain
things in a motorhome, that powder can be corrosive,
not something you want to think about then your van is burning, but
afterwards you have to deal with the clean up (yes there will be smoke and
heat damage too) but the extra of the messy powder and the corrosion it
causes to certain things (i believe the powder had to mix with water to form
the corrosive mixture tho)

I'd have a blanket by the kitchen area, where fires are most likely to
start, don't want to ruin tea by discharging a kilo of powder into the pan

but what i'm saying is the blankets are messless, so for a kitchen fire use
that if you can.

But when buying an extinguisher for the living area of the motorhome, get a
decent sized one, there's nothing worse than having the fire almost out, and
the tiddely extinguisher you got because it was a fiver less than the next
one up runs out.

i have a 2 kilo powder extinguisher in my van, and a 1.5 kilo powder one in
the cab, not got the blanket yet as the van is under construction so no
cooking happens, i really should have got one for the last van, but it was
something i kept on putting off, luckily i never had cause to need any fire
fighting equipment, still wasn't wise not having it all.