lightning query

Old July 6th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
mac

Default lightning query

hi not so long ago was caught in thunderstorm and began to wonder on
result of lightning strike on van. i got a ldv hi top conversion with a
fibreglass roof. anyone know if farady cage effect as in cars still works
with a glass top or if i would lose my wig:-) cheers dunky

Old July 6th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"mac" wrote in message
hi not so long ago was caught in thunderstorm and began to wonder on
result of lightning strike on van. i got a ldv hi top conversion with a
fibreglass roof. anyone know if farady cage effect as in cars still works
with a glass top or if i would lose my wig:-) cheers dunky

Oh great! Now I've got something else to be paranoid about!!!

)

Old July 7th 03, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Miller

"Andy R" wrote
....... With a bit of luck the
tyres should provide enough insulation to stop you being struck in the first
place.

....so now I'm wondering about those nice strong (metal) rear
steadies?! Seriously, has anyone got/seen any credible advice on what
we SHOULD do in thunderstorms?

Dave
Old July 8th 03, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"David Miller" wrote in message
om...
...so now I'm wondering about those nice strong (metal) rear
steadies?! Seriously, has anyone got/seen any credible advice on what
we SHOULD do in thunderstorms?

This sites got some safety info as well as having some terrific pictures.

http://www.stormguy.com/

)

Old July 8th 03, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"Hilary" wrote in message

This sites got some safety info as well as having some terrific pictures.

http://www.stormguy.com/

I'm sorry to say I've just checked out the site and a lot of the links arnt
working. It may be the time of day ( if the server is his home computer it
might not be on 24/7). Try it in a few days time. Its a shame as there
was a lot of safety advice. I wish I'd saved a copy now.

(

Old July 10th 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Andy R" wrote in message

"mac" wrote in message
hi not so long ago was caught in thunderstorm and began to wonder on
result of lightning strike on van. i got a ldv hi top conversion with a
fibreglass roof. anyone know if farady cage effect as in cars still

works
with a glass top or if i would lose my wig:-) cheers dunky

I suppose it depends on where the strike enters the vehicle. If it's via

part of the metal body or wet fibreglass frame it should be OK, if it's

via
you cos your bald patch has got a bit wet and is higher than the rim of

the
vehicle it might not be such a good day for you. With a bit of luck the
tyres should provide enough insulation to stop you being struck in the

first
place.

I know it's bad form to follow your own post but the text below is from a
post on rec.aviation.piloting. It seems I was wrong about expecting the
tyres to provide adequate insulation:

I was hit 3 times in 1 year. Flying at the freezing level with big
propellers seems to make one more susceptible. The damage was minimal. Being
pressurized, we didn't hear any of the strikes even as the flash of the
lightning caught the passengers' attention. One strike knocked the
generators off line, but they reset okay. Another crew was hit in the
propeller and the metal erosion indicated that the charge traveled from the
prop through the gearbox and exited off the trailing edge of the wing. That
mandated a prop overhaul and gearbox inspection which was quite costly.

Recently, lightning hit the car as it sat in the driveway. The side mirror
took a direct hit and the debris field had a 20' radius. The charge traveled
through the steel belting in the tires and the front tires blew out. The
rubber was charred were the charge exited from the belting. The concussion
from the blast imploded the side glass. There were glass fragments covering
the entire interior. The concrete driveway had a 4" wide chip blown out.
When I started the car to see if it still ran, it did run but the wipers
came on, the clock time had changed by several hours, the radio presets had
vanished, and the warning lights wouldn't go out.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 10th 03, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"Andy R" wrote in message

re http://www.stormguy.com/

i E-mailed him to see if he knew there was a problem. He said he was
uploading the info to another server and to try in a few days. The
lightning safety page was working when I looked just now.

)