bike rack fitting

Old July 7th 03, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Default bike rack fitting

Hi,

I need a double bike rack for my spanking new Compass avantgarde. The rear
panels seem a bit flimsy to me. Is there a successful way of fitting one?
Does one need to strengthen the internals, or is it best left to the garage
to fit?

Ken

Old July 7th 03, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

Fiamma/Omnistor should be able supply the correct fitting kit through your
dealer - or better still, to guarantee a perfect job, ask Stephen Buckley to
fit it for you!!

Old July 7th 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"ken" wrote in message
Hi,

I need a double bike rack for my spanking new Compass avantgarde. The rear
panels seem a bit flimsy to me. Is there a successful way of fitting one?
Does one need to strengthen the internals, or is it best left to the

garage
to fit?

Ken

Ken,

I should take care, and if possible advice from either Compass or your
dealer.

Where there is an expectation of mounting a rear bike rack, many
manufacturers place strengthening in the rear wall, and it is important that
(if it exists) the rack is mounted to (through) that strengthening.

Auto-Sleepers put extra battens in the real wall for the bike-rack (and I
understand from correspondence that this is sometimes screwed into, rather
than bolted through!) My Benimar has a batten in the back wall that the
factory-fit rack is bolted through.

I had a Compass Drifter in the past, and the rear wall of that was somewhat
flimsy. The weight of bikes and bike-rack had definitely somewhat distorted
the rear wall before I disposed of it.

Generally, Fiamma and Omnistor bike racks are bolted through the rear wall
(preferably through any internal strengthening) using the supplied 'coach
bolts', and a spreader plate (supplied) on the inside of the wall. I admit
to also eventually having put a piece of angle iron right across the inside
of the rear wall of the Compass in order to spread the load some more. both
manufacturers do larger spreader plates.

One thing to be aware of is the different loading depending on whether the
model of rack you get is a 'compact' one or not. Compact ones have the top
and bottom mounting points much closer together (usually to fit both under a
rear window), whereas the original models have the top mounting point close
to the top of the van, and the bottom one close to the bottom. It seem to me
that these are much more stable, and that the loading on the top mounting
point must be lower. Dealers seem to like fitting compact ones nowadays, but
I much prefer the longer arms. (concealing the inner mounting point seems to
be the main concern).

Hope this helps (be aware that a sandwich construction wall can take a
significant load, but attaching the rack correctly and with planning just
helps things along).

Bob
Spam blocking in force. Remove nobumf from address to reply

Old July 7th 03, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Many thanks bob and Dave, and thanks Bob for your extensive reply. On your
advice I will ring the Explorer Group to-morrow and will post back here
their recommendation.

Ken

Old July 8th 03, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"ken" wrote in message
Many thanks bob and Dave, and thanks Bob for your extensive reply. On your
advice I will ring the Explorer Group to-morrow and will post back here
their recommendation.

Just one more point, check the length of your vehicle before odering the
bike rack. The overhang at the rear (behind the rear axle), including
racks, towballs etc, is not permitted to be more than 60% of the wheelbase
of the vehicle. The overhang on my Hymercamp 524 is already 60% so the bike
rack takes it over. I've chosen to take the risk on it was supplied by a
main Hymer agent so if I get nicked I'll just plead ignorance and sue the
supplier.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 8th 03, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

Andy,

overhang on my van is also exactly 60% without the rack, and my rack came
factory fitted!

The regulations in this area are somewhat confused, but I intend to sue the
manufacturer if I get done ;-).

I have become even more confused over the last few months as various vans
are now available on the market with the rear overhang (unencumbered by
additions) already greater than 60%.

At least one has been tested in MMM, with the accompanying article saying
that the regulations have changed and are now governed by a complex
algorithm taking into account a number of separate factors.

Sometimes blissful ignorance has its merits!

Old July 8th 03, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Bob

I to-day managed to contact the Explorer group and they assured me that the
Avantgarde will take a bike rack.

Ken

Old July 9th 03, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message
Andy,

overhang on my van is also exactly 60% without the rack, and my rack came
factory fitted!

Factory fitted or dealer fitted?

The regulations in this area are somewhat confused, but I intend to sue

the
manufacturer if I get done ;-).

Unless the C&U regs have recently changed there's nothing confusing about
the 60% rule. It's not so simple to calculate if the vehicle has more than
one rear axle or is articulated but for a single rear axle it's pretty
simple (or at least it was).

Do you by any chance have an authoritative source for these regs changes
other than a magazine whose major source of income is advertising motor
homes (I don't mean this sarcastically, I'm genuinely interested)

I have become even more confused over the last few months as various vans
are now available on the market with the rear overhang (unencumbered by
additions) already greater than 60%.

Which ones?

At least one has been tested in MMM, with the accompanying article saying
that the regulations have changed and are now governed by a complex
algorithm taking into account a number of separate factors.

Sometimes blissful ignorance has its merits!

Very true (until something goes wrong)

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 9th 03, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message
Andy,

overhang on my van is also exactly 60% without the rack, and my rack

came
factory fitted!

Factory fitted or dealer fitted?

Factory Fitted (advertised and pictured in manufacturer's brochure, and I've
seen the van's arriving on transporter with them on!)

You might be interested to note that Hymer also quote for a factory fitted
rack on all their vehicles as an option, though I supspect most end up
dealer fit. So Hymer themselves think it's OK on your vehicle as well as
your dealer.

The regulations in this area are somewhat confused, but I intend to sue

the
manufacturer if I get done ;-).

Unless the C&U regs have recently changed there's nothing confusing about
the 60% rule. It's not so simple to calculate if the vehicle has more

than
one rear axle or is articulated but for a single rear axle it's pretty
simple (or at least it was).

Do you by any chance have an authoritative source for these regs changes
other than a magazine whose major source of income is advertising motor
homes (I don't mean this sarcastically, I'm genuinely interested)

No, but I have some pointers. MMM stated that the regs changed in 1998.
I have references to European harmonisation, and specific references to
overhang in EC directive 97/27 being enacted as an override to the C&U in
1998.

I have become even more confused over the last few months as various

vans
are now available on the market with the rear overhang (unencumbered by
additions) already greater than 60%.

Which ones?

Bessacar E445 was the van tested by MMM and measured a 63.6%. perusal of
stated lengths built on the Fiat MWB chassis (for example) indicate that the
limits have moved above the 60% mark for a number of manufacturers.

At least one has been tested in MMM, with the accompanying article

saying
that the regulations have changed and are now governed by a complex
algorithm taking into account a number of separate factors.

Sometimes blissful ignorance has its merits!

Very true (until something goes wrong)

Speaking as someone who has spectacularly written off a coachbuilt, abroad,
I think I might just cope :-)

Old July 12th 03, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tim[_4_]

ken wrote:

Hi,

I need a double bike rack for my spanking new Compass avantgarde. The rear
panels seem a bit flimsy to me. Is there a successful way of fitting one?
Does one need to strengthen the internals, or is it best left to the
garage to fit?

Ken

You could fit a rear bumper bar on the back of the van and then have a hoop
mounted on the bar. The bike rack then fits onto the hoop. A company called
PWS in Poole do these setup, don't know there number but they are in MMM

Tim