Best TowCar for up to 5000?

Old October 25th 03, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave

Default Best TowCar for up to 5000?

Hi,
The subject says it all.......
nominations greatly received for what vehicle I should buy to use as a
comfortable tow car, probably an estate as I need a lot of room for a family
of four plus belongings..

TIA

Dave.

Old October 25th 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:32:01 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

Hi,
The subject says it all.......
nominations greatly received for what vehicle I should buy to use as a
comfortable tow car, probably an estate as I need a lot of room for a family
of four plus belongings..

Citroen Xantia SX 2.1TD Estate

Max noseweight 85kg
(Doubt that there's another car with this a high figure - but someone
will tell us if there is)

110bhp
184ftlbs torque at 2200 rpm. 2000rpm = 50mph in 4th 60mph in 5th.

Can't remember the weights of the top of my head, but 1400kgs for u/l
weight seems vaugely familiar.
Old October 25th 03, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Cocker

Wrong, Citroen Xantia 2.1 was a short lived engine and the worst diesel they
made. The car will only pull 1100kgs due I think to the lightweight
construction of the subframe. I can strongly recommend a VW Passat estate
115 PD, masses of power and equipment, 50mpg, tow weights dependant on loads
between 1400-2100kgs.
Paul.
"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , Nigel
Crompton wrote.....
wrote:

Hi,
The subject says it all.......
nominations greatly received for what vehicle I should buy to use as a
comfortable tow car, probably an estate as I need a lot of room for a

family
of four plus belongings..

Citroen Xantia SX 2.1TD Estate

Max noseweight 85kg
(Doubt that there's another car with this a high figure - but someone
will tell us if there is)

110bhp
184ftlbs torque at 2200 rpm. 2000rpm = 50mph in 4th 60mph in 5th.

Can't remember the weights of the top of my head, but 1400kgs for u/l
weight seems vaugely familiar.

Look here for details
http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/citroen.htm#xantiae

Old October 25th 03, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Len Zatenna

"Paul Cocker" wrote in message
Wrong, Citroen Xantia 2.1 was a short lived engine and the worst diesel

they
made. The car will only pull 1100kgs due I think to the lightweight
construction of the subframe. I can strongly recommend a VW Passat

estate
115 PD, masses of power and equipment, 50mpg, tow weights dependant on

loads
between 1400-2100kgs.
Paul.

Or the Audi A4 with the same engine as the Passat! I get around 35mpg towing
and better than 50mpg solo. Watch the kerbweight though, only around
1300kgs.

Both the Audi & VW oil burners are superb towcars and will at least be worth
something when you come to trade it in, in a few years time! Either should
be good for 250 to 300 thousand miles.

Whatever you go for Dave, Make sure it's DIESEL!!

Cheers
Len

Oh, BTW, the Audi A6 has a max permissible noseweight of 85kg too! ;-) (My
next car perhaps? A Quattro 2.5TDI
maybe??).................................. Dream on Len!!!

Old October 26th 03, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

In message , Dave
writes
Hi,
The subject says it all.......
nominations greatly received for what vehicle I should buy to use as a
comfortable tow car, probably an estate as I need a lot of room for a family
of four plus belongings..

TIA

Dave.

Ultimately it depends on your van Dave but, if it's on the big side, in
my view there's only one, a Vauxhall Omega.

Great tow car, very comfortable, rear wheel drive, bullet proof engines,
good handling, bags of kerb weight, excellent value for money.

I don't tow with one now, these days it's a 4x4 - purely for the kerb
weight, however overall the Omega was the best tow car I've ever used
and over the years there's been loads.

My opinion of the Omega is based on it's all round ability, not just
towing, assuming you'll be needing it for every day use. Some cars,
like my current Jeep GC, are superb at towing but a pain in the arse for
every day use. Apart from being a good tug the Omega is a real driver's
car too.

--
Bill
Old October 26th 03, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 07:55:16 +0000, Bill wrote:

Ultimately it depends on your van Dave but, if it's on the big side, in
my view there's only one, a Vauxhall Omega.

My opinion of the Omega is based on it's all round ability, not just
towing, assuming you'll be needing it for every day use. Some cars,
like my current Jeep GC, are superb at towing but a pain in the arse for
every day use. Apart from being a good tug the Omega is a real driver's
car too.

[T] Hi Bill,

You don't mention fuel consumptiuon on the Omega but if you drive a
Jeep GC then maybe it's not an issue for you ! (it must be nice to
have money ..) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

55 mpg Rover 218SD (non-turbo) but no good if you have a skin on yer
rice pudding!
Old October 26th 03, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

In message , T i m
writes
[T] Hi Bill,

You don't mention fuel consumptiuon on the Omega but if you drive a
Jeep GC then maybe it's not an issue for you ! (it must be nice to
have money ..) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

55 mpg Rover 218SD (non-turbo) but no good if you have a skin on yer
rice pudding!

Hi Tim

Fair comment, my Omega was the 3.0L petrol estate version and
consumption when towing was not brilliant. Though I don't think any of
the big tow cars are much cop when it comes to fuel economy. Funnily
enough the Jeep GC probably returns about the same as the Omega when
towing. Obviously it depends on the van but so many these days are
pretty heavy and for anybody with a heavy van, the Omega seems to be one
the best cars available at reasonable cost.

The Omega's consumption was OK (ish) without the van on the back, unlike
the Jeep, 4.0L petrol, which is a real guzzler. If we weren't smitten by
this caravanning lark there's no way I'd have a 4x4. I'm fortunate
enough to work from home so don't have the daily commute to consider and
my non-towing mileage is fairly low. If I was back in the trek to work
routine I'd have to get hold of a more economical, car that's for sure.

Cheers

--
Bill
Old October 26th 03, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:58:19 +0000, Bill wrote:

You don't mention fuel consumptiuon on the Omega

Hi Tim

Fair comment, my Omega was the 3.0L petrol estate version and
consumption when towing was not brilliant.

[T] So what we talking here ... 18 mpg?

Though I don't think any of
the big tow cars are much cop when it comes to fuel economy.

[T] The Passat was mentioned (is that a 'big car') and I heard that
mentioned as being 'economical' before.

Funnily
enough the Jeep GC probably returns about the same as the Omega when
towing. Obviously it depends on the van but so many these days are
pretty heavy and for anybody with a heavy van, the Omega seems to be one
the best cars available at reasonable cost.

[T] Fair enough .. and I suppose the sums would be fairly predictable
re total mass to be moved versus the latent energy of the fuel minus
the efficiencys (or inefficiencies g .. where's QrizB when you want
him?)

The Omega's consumption was OK (ish) without the van on the back, unlike
the Jeep, 4.0L petrol, which is a real guzzler. If we weren't smitten by
this caravanning lark there's no way I'd have a 4x4.

[T] The economies of running a vehicle have always been a big part in
my decision to buying one (including the now ex Co 81 Sierra Est). The
Sierra came in several guises 1.3 (oh yes!) 1.6, 2L and something else
plus a diesel.. The 2L (my choice) offered the best 'all round' fuel
figures. It would do just over 33 mpg on a run (even towing my 14'
dinghy as long as I didn't use 5th gear) and 25+ mpg around town (not
'good'). It was only when I drove mums Fiat Panda for a few weeks did
I realise what a difference could be seen in fuel economy (all be it a
light noisy but *fun* box) and probably would not tow much ;-) Having
said that I did build a lightweight camping trailer that I towed with
my 200cc Messerschmitt Kabinroller 'bubble car'!

I'm fortunate
enough to work from home so don't have the daily commute to consider and
my non-towing mileage is fairly low. If I was back in the trek to work
routine I'd have to get hold of a more economical, car that's for sure.

[T] Which would be what Bill and would you still expect to pull the
van with it?

Cheers

All the best ..

T i m
Old October 26th 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Frank D

Paul Cocker is wrong about the 2 . 1 PSA engine. It may have not been
fitted to the Xantia for very long but it was fiited to XM',s 406's
amd Peugeot 605's for many years. I ran a 605 to 180,000 miles with no
trouble whatsover from the engine, or anything else for that matter.
Great car and a good towcar but probably too long in the tooth now to
consider other than as a cheap spacious runabout.
Old October 26th 03, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:58:19 +0000, Bill wrote:

[T] The Passat was mentioned (is that a 'big car') and I heard that
mentioned as being 'economical' before.

Volkswagen produce their own version of a direct injection diesel in a 1.9
format. This engine pops up all over the place and is amazingly economical.
You get it in various guises, and some of them are extremely nippy as well.
It appears in Seats, Ford Galaxy, Skodas (I have been seriously considering
an Octavia Estate with it.)

My father has a Volkswagen Bora with this engine. He gets over 50 mpg in
normal use and very high 30's towing his caravan. (Avondale Dart 4 berth)
The biggest problem he has is that his car isn't very heavy and he needs to
watch his weight limits.

They also seem to be very long lived. The biggest problem you would have is
getting a decent example at your price point.

I have always been convinced that depreciation is more significant than fuel
consumption in a car. Fiats can be as economical as they like, but they
still depreciate at a rate that you would be hard pushed to spend on fuel
unless your mileages are very high.

My fathers diesel has caused me to rethink that however. I think you can
have both- low depreciation and great mpg.

James