Questions Please

Old July 17th 03, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dennis Vogel

Default Questions Please

I live in the US and for many years wanted to tour Europe in a small
motorhome / motorcaravan and have some questions.

I've been watching the Tour de France each day and see many nice motorhomes
lining the road. They seem to be made in Germany.

I would like something about 23 feet long and not very wide, diesel powered
with left hand steering.

I have a good friend in the UK I can stay with while looking for a used
motorhome.

Do I need to travel to Germany to find a good used motorhome?

What used motorhome do you recommend?

Is the price of used motorhomes the same in most countries?

What can I expect to pay? (I will sell it when I leave).

Can I boondock almost exclusively (limited budget)?

Are dump stations available almost everywhere?

I need to get my email everyday, even when out in the countryside. I
currently use a cell phone to get my email while traveling the US. Can I do
the same in Europe?

Will one cell phone work all over Europe?

I do not speak any other languages. Is this a real problem?

Thanks for any help,

Dennis
Mobile, Alabama

Old July 17th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
dario osaris

Dennis Vogel wrote:
I live in the US and for many years wanted to tour Europe in a small
motorhome / motorcaravan and have some questions.

I've been watching the Tour de France each day and see many nice motorhomes
lining the road. They seem to be made in Germany.

the vast majority of mobile homes (MH) is produced in France, Italy and
Germany

I would like something about 23 feet long and not very wide, diesel powered
with left hand steering.

I have a good friend in the UK I can stay with while looking for a used
motorhome.

you will hardly find used mobile homes with left hand steering in UK

Do I need to travel to Germany to find a good used motorhome?

there´s a strong competetive market in Germany, so pricetags would
propably be lower in Germany. And there are car dealers focused to
US-citizens in Frankfurt area.

Take a look over he
http://www.camping-total.de/Service/haendler.htm

What used motorhome do you recommend?

nearly 70% of all MH are based on FIAT chassis in western Europe.
These got the lowest prices, when buying and when reselling.
The more reliable quality you would find at Mercedes-Benz or
Volkswagen based MHs (IMHO).
Volkswagen engines are the only ones (certified) drinking biodiesel,
which is rare in some regions but less expensive.

Is the price of used motorhomes the same in most countries?

see above:
U.K. seems to have higher prices (my impression)

What can I expect to pay?

depending on age and make of the MH the range may be somewhat between
10´000 and 30´000 Euro/$ (10 to 2 years of age) at 23"

Are dump stations available almost everywhere?

nearly every camp ground offers such units.
and there are a lot of special parking lots for MHs, some of them
offer dump facilities

I need to get my email everyday, even when out in the countryside. I
currently use a cell phone to get my email while traveling the US. Can I do
the same in Europe?

yes you can,
but they charge horrorbly rates when using the same supplier chip for
your phone in different countries. So it would be less expensive to by
another chip card for
the country you currently reside for somewhat about 20 $

Will one cell phone work all over Europe?

yes, mostly
but it´s a different one than yours. But you can buy
3-band cell phones that will work in northern America too
for ~ 150 $ including chipcard.

I do not speak any other languages. Is this a real problem?

you´ll find someone speaking your language nearly everywhere

Thanks for any help,

Dennis
Mobile, Alabama

welcome to Europe

Dario

Old July 17th 03, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Dennis Vogel
writes
Do I need to travel to Germany to find a good used motorhome?

I have had a good experience with deepcar (Sheffield UK)
http://www.dmiuk.com/
They have a small, changing, stock of used imported MHs of Hymer
(German) make, and when I did my own research I thought their prices
were not far above the advertised internet prices in Germany.

What used motorhome do you recommend?

Hymer

Is the price of used motorhomes the same in most countries?

no, seems higher in what seems like a restricted UK market

--
AC
Old July 18th 03, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Miller

Dennis

It's a bit difficult when you don't give us an idea of your budget,
but I can say that:

23-feet is a good size, commonly available in UK/Europe.

I personally would recommend the German-built Hymer (Solid, well
built, several models available at about 23', nearly all left-hand
drive, INCLUDING the ones available in UK).

Dario has already mentioned Deepcar Motorhomes. I bought there, and
felt that the deal was good (yes, it would have been a little cheaper
to buy in Germany, but I'm based in England and wouldn't have the
opportunity to spend any time in Germany, finding the right one).

You can also see Hymers for sale in England at:
http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/
http://www.hymerleisure.com

Or, for a wider view, try the Autotrader website, which shows both
private and trade ads - use the caravan page, and the search facility:
search on keyword Hymer (or just look at all other motorcaravans,
too!). http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARAVANS/caravans.jsp

I can't say about 'phones, but don't worry about language - you'll get
by. I speak only English, but this summer will visit France, Belgium,
Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and (hell, why not)
Luxembourg.

Hope that helps

Dave