Bike racks in Italy

Old July 20th 03, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

Default Bike racks in Italy

I've heard a rumour that in Italy they have difficulty in noticing a bike
attached to the back of a motorhome, and require some sort of warning sign.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to achieve. Maybe they are worried that
the bike might fall off and injure someone, in which case it could have a
great benefit in a country where most drivers follow 2 feet from your rear
bumper. Anyway, where can I find the spec for this apocryphal sign?

Old July 20th 03, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"Les Rose" wrote in message
I've heard a rumour that in Italy they have difficulty in noticing a bike
attached to the back of a motorhome, and require some sort of warning

sign.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to achieve. Maybe they are worried that
the bike might fall off and injure someone, in which case it could have a
great benefit in a country where most drivers follow 2 feet from your rear
bumper. Anyway, where can I find the spec for this apocryphal sign?

-------------------------
Try your nearest motorhome accessory shop.
About 60cm square (ours is complete with reflectors) with red and white
lines running from upper right to lower left.
We attach ours to the bike rack with a couple of bunji straps through the
holes provided.

Gillian

Old July 21st 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Miller

"Les Rose" wrote
I've heard a rumour that in Italy they ... require some sort of warning sign.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to achieve.

They do indeed. It's big and square, with reflective red and white
stripes and it goes on the back so as to indicate where the vehicle
now ends. (The vehicle lights, reflectors and number plate all suggest
the vehicle ends a couple of feet in front of those sticking-out
pedals).

You can get one at motorhome dealers, usually the Fiamma ones (they
make a plastic one and an aluminium one - see
http://partners.fiamma.it/en/homeng.asp and choose accessories and
then carrybike).

Dave
Old July 21st 03, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"David Miller" wrote in message
om...
"Les Rose" wrote
I've heard a rumour that in Italy they ... require some sort of warning

sign.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to achieve.

They do indeed. It's big and square, with reflective red and white
stripes and it goes on the back so as to indicate where the vehicle
now ends. (The vehicle lights, reflectors and number plate all suggest
the vehicle ends a couple of feet in front of those sticking-out
pedals).

You can get one at motorhome dealers, usually the Fiamma ones (they
make a plastic one and an aluminium one - see
http://partners.fiamma.it/en/homeng.asp and choose accessories and
then carrybike).

Dave

Thanks Dave. No motorhome dealer locally (hence this post). Now I have the
design it's a DIY job - plastic sheet and reflective tape.