Hymer 660 1981

Old July 21st 03, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Hanson

Default Hymer 660 1981

I recently posted a note asking about a price for a 1981 Hymer 660.

I've only gone and bought it. 4500 I paid, but I had to do all the import
paperwork. All that needed doing was the fog light moving to the other
side. Plus disks and pads for the MoT.

It's six berth, two gas rings with big Shell gas bottles, 2.3 petrol engine,
3 way fridge, now with UK mains sockets (it was swiss so it was 240 V),
porta-potty toilet, shower, and hot & cold water etc. It drives ok.

I drove it a week before I bought it, just round the storage compound where
it was. Went up and down the gearbox etc, everything seemed fine. Then
when I actually bought it, the clutch wouldn't release. Tried bleeding the
line etc, but no good. It was towed away for only about 20 yards and then
it released itself. Apart from that it has been in really good condition.
It even has the original carrier bag from when it was new, with all the
paperwork saved. Even the little tag for the keys that tells you how to run
in the engine.

There seems to be quite a bit of wasted space inside, compared to how I
imagined it would be. Every inch counts, I would have thought.

Finally, does anyone have or know where I can buy/rent/copy/whatever a
manual for it ? The one I have helpfully comes in German/Italian/French,
which is handy if you're swiss.

Any tips on getting a trauma heater to light ? I took the cover off and
found where you put the two AA batteries. Turn the dial and it appears to
spark away. I can see the light lighting up near where the batteries are
inserted. However it just clicks away without ever lighting.

Thanks to those who replied to my original posting.

John Hanson.

Old July 22nd 03, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Miller

John

Well done for daring to do it! It sounds interesting.

Heater query: since the igniter seems to be working, it looks like you
have no gas coming through. When the heater hasn't been used for a
while, it can take a L-O-N-G time for the gas to come through, so all
may not be lost, yet. Things to check (I'm no technician, by the
way...):
(1) - that you have gas at decent pressure. (Do hob and fridge light
OK? If yes, TURN THEM OFF AGAIN, before lighting heater - in case
they're taking the last of the gas pressure)
(2) - that it's turned on, at the bottle, and at wherever the
individual tap for the heater is (all 5 of ours are under the sink,
but yours might be elsewhere)
(3) - that you are pressing AND HOLDING DOWN the knob while it's
trying to light (when it lights, you continue to hold down, until the
flame has sufficiently warmed up the "flame-failure device". Once
that's warm, it'll allow the gas to continue after you let go)
(4) - that you give it at least a few minutes to light, the first time
(subsequently, it should be almost instant).
If that doesn't work, then the gas just isn't getting through -
consult dealer?.

As to manuals, what do you need - a workshop manual for the underlying
van, or the "Hymer" handbook, which covers the living quarters? If
workshop manual, try Peter Russek manuals at
http://www.russek-manuals.com/ If a copy of a 1992 handbook is any
use to you, e-mail me.

Dave