Electric Hook Up advice needed

Old July 22nd 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hairycamper

Default Electric Hook Up advice needed

Hi,
Just started using our electric hook-up after making do with the gas and
battery.
Can anyone tell me where I can find information on it's use and things to
look out for?
I'd hate to black out the site by using too much juice!

Can I use an ordinary microwave 800 W ?

Do Hook up specifications vary from site to site? - e.g. power usage.

I use Camping & Caravanning Club sites most - has anyone any comments about
their hook up provision?

Thanks

--
God Bless

Mike Hobson

The Hairycamper active in The Mint Marketing Team
http://www.mintteam.com/cgi-bin/ref.cgi/2324/
Supports Me & God's work, even when On Site.
Works for me :-)

Old July 22nd 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Hairycamper" wrote in message
[...]

Mike,

first things I check on all sites where I hook-up is what the outlet rating
is, and whether the power limitation is provided by a trip (MCB - like in a
modern fusebox in a house) that is accessible and can be reset by myself.

Normally achieved by asking, or where a circuit breaker is fitted to the
outlet, by checking the rating on the breaker.

Club sites in this country tend to be between 10 and 16 amps, other sites
may be lower.

On the continent, it is still not uncommon to find ratings as low as 2 to 3
amps (just about enough to run a fridge) in areas where winter camping is
not the norm. (Indeed, on some sites I have been asked what rating I want
and have then had a suitably rated fuse inserted in the feed! Charge was by
rating).

Use the watts divided by volts to determine what amps you will draw, and I
find it safest to use 220 volts as the divisor for supply in Europe.
(normalisation means that actual voltage may vary by country though the
nominal is 230 - mine here at home is 235 at the moment).

If the circuit is protected by a trip (MCB) this may be either locked away
(and sometimes visible) or may be accessible to you. If you draw too many
amps, the trip will switch off. If you can get at it, you can be a bit more
cavalier about load, you can switch an item off, and then reset the trip, if
you can't get at it, you'll need to get someone to turn it on for you (and
it will be late at night...in the pouring rain....etc.) . Even worse, if it
is a fuse rather than a trip, you'll need someone to physically replace a
fuse - but this is less common now.

The outlets on CC sites have confused numerous people who don't read the
instructions, to turn the power on you need to hook-up and then twist the
connection!

Bob
Spam blocking in force. Remove nobumf from address to reply

Old July 23rd 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hairycamper

Thanks Martin and Bob for your clear and reassuring advice.

(yes I have RCB & curcuit breakers fitted)

I think the lesson to learn is to ask about each site's supply rating.

Thanks
Mike

Old July 27th 03, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Martin Palmer

Mike

And get a polarity tester?

Martin

Old July 31st 03, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
One-Pot Workhorse

BEWARE ............ SOME testers should only light TWO lamps for CORRECT
polarity and THREE for INCORRECT polarity .......... Read instructions
PROPERLY before use!!
Regards
ian
"Martin Palmer" wrote in message
Mike

Most hook-ups are 10 amp that is about 2,300 watts, A microwave takes

about
2 to 3 times its rated load on start up so you are just ok, don't use
anything else at the same time though. Check though because some are 6

amp
and you could be in trouble with a 800 watt microwave there.

Get a polarity tester, a little round device like a 13 amp plug with 3

neons
in it. If all 3 light up then the supply and your wiring should be ok.

We
leave ours plugged in and switched on in a socket where you can see it

from
the drivers seat - less likely to drive off when still hooked up!

I don't use the club sites very often but either they or the caravanning
club produce a leaflet on electrical safety on site.

You do have a proper fuse box with a RCD and miniature circuit breakers, I
assume?

Martin Palmer