caravan warranties

Old October 26th 03, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

Default caravan warranties

Is it usual for caravan warranties to be very limited? I was looking at a
month old Bailey Ranger. I collected a brochure from our local dealer, which
explained the warranty, but said it applied to the original owner only. I
emailed Bailey to query this, but have not received a response.

Surely this cannot be right, that I could buy a month old caravan and find
myself uncovered?

I have now bought a special edition Compass Corona. It says the warranty can
be transferred on payment of 25 to the Explorer Group. I will certainly be
doing this, but it also says that the warranty comes from the original
dealer only. Another dealer may take it over, but doesn't have to. What are
the chances of this do you think? There is a dealer around 60 miles away. If
I give him the servicing work is he likely to honour the warranty?

I've been quite amazed to see the limitations placed on these warranties. A
car manufacturer would never get off with that. Are these warranty clauses
rigidly enforced or would nost companies be sympathetic for problems in
nearly new vans?

James

Old October 26th 03, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"James W. West" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

James,

Have a word with your local trading standards department, of your town
hall. I believe the law has changed. I think it is OK to go to the nearest
dealer who has a warranty franchise with your van manufacturer.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Mike Sansom

Old October 26th 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

James W. West wrote:
[...]

Caravan warranties are nowhere near as 'flexible' as car warranties. In
general you can have your 'van serviced at any 'franchised' dealer but, if
you required warranty work (for damp for example) then you must take it back
to the dealer from whom you purchased the 'van. Why this is the case I just
don't know - but it can be damned inconvenient.

Kev

Old October 26th 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

James, give the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club a query, I am sure that
they can clarify the situation for you.

Cheers, Peter.

: