France Passion

Old July 29th 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
jones721

Default France Passion

We have just purchased the France Passion pack in preparation for our trip
at the end of August. Does anyone have any experience with this network that
could pass me on some tips?
We have been to the continent many times but this will be the first using
this scheme.

Simon

Old July 29th 03, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
HH

A less than serious reply . .

France Passion . . is this the Guide Rouge to Montmartre and certain
well-known areas of Bordeaux and Marseille?

a more serious reply . .

sorry, no experience of . . and I say no more!(^_^)

Malcolm
______________________________________

Old July 29th 03, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

We joined France Passion a couple of years ago. The idea seemed to be a
good one - stay free of charge at farms or vinyards and have the opportunity
to sample/buy some of the local produce.

Fine, we said.

Our first use of the scheme was on the Alsace Wine road near to Colmar. We
decided to stop over at a small family vinyard and when we arrived, there
was a big tourist bus in the courtyard full of Germans who were loading
cases of wine into it. We introduced ourselves to the proprietor and she
made us welcome by inviting us into the office for a sit down. Out came the
sampling bottles for tasters - we made the appropriate appreciative noises -
then out came the price list.....

The upshot was, we found ourselves obliged to buy a six bottle case of wine
at a cost of 25 (cheapest on the list). We could then park the van for the
night on a slab of concrete between the wine shed and a somewhat overrun
vegetable garden.

Whilst the wine was nice, the view was crap and it it turned out to be an
expensive stopover. As we couldn't afford to spend 25 a night (and have
our Hymer filled up with quite expensive wine) that was the one and only
time we used the service.

From then on, we stopped at local Aires - mostly free, and with other
French/German/Belgian/Dutch campers for company. We also bought loads of
far less expensive (and in some cases, better tasting) wine from the good
old supermarkets. Good hearty drinkable reds at 70p a bottle take some
beating.

The rest of the holiday was bloody good, mind..........

Dave

Old July 29th 03, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
jones721

Thanks for that dave, I have got the French Aire de Service book already,
probably do that instead.

Simon

"Dave Hardy" wrote in message
[...]

From then on, we stopped at local Aires - mostly free, and with other

Old August 1st 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jock[_2_]

Noted with interest! I was about to send off my 26 euros for the privilege
of France Passion but have reconsidered! By the way - where did you get hold
of your French Aire de Service book? I've been looking for a copy for some
time in many well known Hampshire bookstores.
Thanks
Jock

Old August 1st 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
dr

"jones721" wrote in message
We have just purchased the France Passion pack in preparation for our

trip
at the end of August. Does anyone have any experience with this network

that
could pass me on some tips?
We have been to the continent many times but this will be the first

using
this scheme.

Simon

I've struggled to get a copy too - anyone found a source accessible from the
UK?

Old August 1st 03, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
jones721

You can only get hold of it from french supermarkets, and only in french!
However, it is really easy to understand once you realise what all the icons
mean.

Simon

Old August 1st 03, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Steve Clarke

You can get the Aires De Service book from the Camping & Caravanning Club.
It's listed in their carefree brochure at about 7.50. Alternatively it's
about a fiver in France.
France Passion is well worth having for the price and provides some lovely
places to stay without obligation and fills in some spaces in the
countryside where Aires might be thin on the ground. Use the ones away from
the snobby wine areas and you should be okay.
Steve

Old August 2nd 03, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"Captain Splendid" wrote in message
.. .

If you've got autoroute on your pc you can find a pushpin file here for

the
french aires de service locations.
http://www.btinternet.com/~bmservice...t/pushpins.htm
Hope this helps

John

------------------------------------
The problem with that information is the age. There have been a good number
of aires added to the network since 1999 and more are charging for the
service. At 2 or 3 euros it 's still worth it to be able to get fresh water
and get rid of the waste.

For good information about French aires (including photos in some cases) try
these 3 French websites.

http://campingcar.free.fr/index.htm
http://p.t.l.free.fr/aires/menuaire.htm
http://www.eurocampingcar.com

We use all three sites donloading and printing maps of areas we might visit.
The photos of some of the aires will give you a feel for some of them and
whether you want to use or stay there.

Gillian

Old August 2nd 03, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
jones721

Just found out that Deneway Guides sell the Aires book, you can find them on
the Net

Simon.

"gill107" wrote in message

"Steve Clarke" wrote in message
You can get the Aires De Service book from the Camping & Caravanning

Club.
It's listed in their carefree brochure at about 7.50. Alternatively

it's
about a fiver in France.

The 'English' version for 7.50 has about 4 pages in English at the front

of
the book after that it is just as the French version for 7.50 euros.

Only buy the 'English' version if you need it before travelling as it is
cheaper to buy in French hypermarkets and booksellers.
The amount of French you need to use it is quite small and almost any
French/English dictionary will soon get you familiar with the terms used.

Gillian