blown air heating

Old October 26th 03, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

Default blown air heating

We are very happy with our new van, but find regulating the heating very
difficult. I asked my father, to find he has more or less given up on the
blown air and mainly uses his heating on convector mode as its less hassle.

We have a truma heater with blown air. The thermostat has an adjustment from
1-9, however it doesn't seem to be very responsive.

If we return to the caravan and switch on the heating with the blown air on
automatic it works fine initially. Then the thermostat cuts out and the
blower continues to blow cold air. It then seems to take a long time for the
thermostat to come back on, even at the highest setting.

Are there any tips for adjusting it?

James

Old October 26th 03, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:18:27 +0100, "James W. West"
wrote:

We are very happy with our new van, but find regulating the heating very
difficult. I asked my father, to find he has more or less given up on the
blown air and mainly uses his heating on convector mode as its less hassle.

We have a truma heater with blown air. The thermostat has an adjustment from
1-9, however it doesn't seem to be very responsive.

If we return to the caravan and switch on the heating with the blown air on
automatic it works fine initially. Then the thermostat cuts out and the
blower continues to blow cold air.

[T] I think it does that bit to ensure the heat exchanger cools
sufficiently to stop it being damaged (cracking etc).

It then seems to take a long time for the
thermostat to come back on, even at the highest setting.

[T] A clue to this might be to place a thermometer near the thermostat
and note what the hysteresis is (the 'gap' between when the stat
clicks in then out). *We* (humans) can sense fairly small temp drops
and 'draughts' wheras a stat might not?

All the best ..

T i m

Old October 26th 03, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

wrote:

We are very happy with our new van, but find regulating the heating very
difficult. I asked my father, to find he has more or less given up on the
blown air and mainly uses his heating on convector mode as its less

hassle.

We have a truma heater with blown air. The thermostat has an adjustment

from
1-9, however it doesn't seem to be very responsive.

If we return to the caravan and switch on the heating with the blown air

on
automatic it works fine initially. Then the thermostat cuts out and the
blower continues to blow cold air.

[T] I think it does that bit to ensure the heat exchanger cools
sufficiently to stop it being damaged (cracking etc).

Surely it doesn't need to do that. After all I can run the heater as a
convection unit without the fan at all. I really cannot see a difference
between the automatic setting and the manual one with the fan on all the
time. Since i raised it my father has done a quick straw poll of some of his
acquaintances, and none of them have a clue how to use it either.

It then seems to take a long time for the
thermostat to come back on, even at the highest setting.

[T] A clue to this might be to place a thermometer near the thermostat
and note what the hysteresis is (the 'gap' between when the stat
clicks in then out). *We* (humans) can sense fairly small temp drops
and 'draughts' wheras a stat might not?

Thanks Tim.

I'll give that a try. Some caravans seem to have an optional separate
thermostat, but my one doesn't. The 1-9 scale seems very crude. One of the
problems may be that the heater is underneath a cupboard/wardrobe and the
controls are on the side of the wardrobe. I am wondering whether the heat is
being retained in the wood and affecting it after the air has cooled quite a
bit.

James

Old October 26th 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Crawford

"James W. West" wrote in message
.. .
We have a truma heater with blown air. The thermostat has an adjustment

from
1-9, however it doesn't seem to be very responsive.

If we return to the caravan and switch on the heating with the blown air

on
automatic it works fine initially. Then the thermostat cuts out and the
blower continues to blow cold air. It then seems to take a long time for

the
thermostat to come back on, even at the highest setting.

Are there any tips for adjusting it?

James

Hi James, we had the same trouble last year with our van, turned out the
thermistor was in the heater housing and was always hot stopping the heater
from cutting in earlier. It was solved by having a remote thermistor fitted
away from the heater, lovely and warm all the time now.

Jim

Old October 26th 03, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:23:21 -0000, "James W. West"
wrote:

[T] I think it does that bit to ensure the heat exchanger cools
sufficiently to stop it being damaged (cracking etc).

Surely it doesn't need to do that. After all I can run the heater as a
convection unit without the fan at all.

[T] Pass? Maybe when in 'convector mode' is doesn't run as hot?

I really cannot see a difference
between the automatic setting and the manual one with the fan on all the
time. Since i raised it my father has done a quick straw poll of some of his
acquaintances, and none of them have a clue how to use it either.

[T] We are in good company then! ;-)

It then seems to take a long time for the
thermostat to come back on, even at the highest setting.

[T] A clue to this might be to place a thermometer near the thermostat
and note what the hysteresis is (the 'gap' between when the stat
clicks in then out). *We* (humans) can sense fairly small temp drops
and 'draughts' wheras a stat might not?

Thanks Tim.

I'll give that a try. Some caravans seem to have an optional separate
thermostat, but my one doesn't. The 1-9 scale seems very crude. One of the
problems may be that the heater is underneath a cupboard/wardrobe and the
controls are on the side of the wardrobe. I am wondering whether the heat is
being retained in the wood and affecting it after the air has cooled quite a
bit.

[T] Well, certianly the wood would insulate the system from the
outside world, making any temperature sensor slow to respond. Most
ambient air stats are placed somewhere representitive of the overall
ambient temperature of the space? Potentially there is nothing
stopping you *adding* a room stat somewhere else in the van, assuming
you can interface it with the heater correctly?

James

All the best and good luck ...

T i m
Old October 26th 03, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

[...]

I started a thread entitled Truma Vent, on this topic on 8th September, and
the consensus was that a remote sensor should be fitted to solve this
problem. I made enquiries and was told that such a remote sensor was not
available for my Carver 3000 system with Truma Vent added. I got the
feeling that the salesperson was referring to the ability simply to plug in
this module, but now wonder whether or not with some greater understanding
of the circuit involved, it might be possible to wire in such a device. Can
anybody advice on these details please? A circuit would be enormously
helpful.

Cheers Paul

Old October 26th 03, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| I started a thread entitled Truma Vent, on this topic on 8th September, and
| the consensus was that a remote sensor should be fitted to solve this
| problem. I made enquiries and was told that such a remote sensor was not
| available for my Carver 3000 system with Truma Vent added. I got the
| feeling that the salesperson was referring to the ability simply to plug in
| this module, but now wonder whether or not with some greater understanding
| of the circuit involved, it might be possible to wire in such a device. Can
| anybody advice on these details please? A circuit would be enormously
| helpful.

Well, I know nothing at all about the Truma, but I may be able to help
with the thermistor....

A thermistor is a very simple two wire device, basically just a
resistor who's resistance varies with temperature. One would probably
look a little like a bead at the end of a pair of wires. One would
probably remotely mounted from the PCB and in the air flow. The
connections on the PCB would either be marked 'thermistor' or 'TH'.

Looking at the actual thermistor, should provide a clue as to the part
required. Look for numbers stamped upon it, or bands of colours which
would indicate its type. They are ususally rated at a value of
resistance at 25 deg C. Common ones are 4K7, 15K, 47K, 150K (4K7 is the
same as 4,700 Ohms).
www.maplin.co.uk stock several and they cost 1
each.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old October 26th 03, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| Looking at the actual thermistor, should provide a clue as to the part
| required. Look for numbers stamped upon it, or bands of colours which
| would indicate its type. They are ususally rated at a value of
| resistance at 25 deg C. Common ones are 4K7, 15K, 47K, 150K (4K7 is the
| same as 4,700 Ohms).
www.maplin.co.uk stock several and they cost 1
| each.

I intended to add, that the circuit would be low voltage and the
additional cable could simply be something like telephone cable or
similar. It would even be possible to remove the existing thermistor
and use that. It doesn't matter which way round the device is
connected, they are not polarity sensitive.

Old October 27th 03, 04:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , James W.
West wrote.....

I note that Hobby give buyers the alternative of having either a 12 or 220
volt fans (Truma). Is there any advantage from having the mains voltage fan
(Non electric sites excluded)? And if there is, is it possible to covnert
from one to the other as I am disappointed with the performance of the 12v
version: this is despite clearing the trunking of excess tubing which was
helping to restrict the flow.

Old October 27th 03, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil Kyle

Harry Bloomfield wrote in
t:

In article ,
says...
| I started a thread entitled Truma Vent, on this topic on 8th
| September,
and
| the consensus was that a remote sensor should be fitted to solve
| this problem. I made enquiries and was told that such a remote
| sensor was no
| available for my Carver 3000 system with Truma Vent added. I got
| the feeling that the salesperson was referring to the ability simply
| to plug
in
| this module, but now wonder whether or not with some greater
| understandi
ng
| of the circuit involved, it might be possible to wire in such a
| device.
Can
| anybody advice on these details please? A circuit would be
| enormously helpful.

Well, I know nothing at all about the Truma, but I may be able to help
with the thermistor....

But you know about the trauma you caused me Harry. Why did you netkkkop
me Harry? That wasn't very nice. I was merely spreading cheer and
optimism in a bid to convert usenet into a vibrant utopia. But you
spoiled it all Harry. Just think of what could've been. Your conscience
will guide you Harry, and you will come to realise that you took the
wrong path. I was only ever here to brighten everyone's day, Harry.

--
Phil Kyle

http://thrill.to/philkyle