warning speed camera

Old August 6th 03, 10:35 AM posted to alt.uk.law,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Paul Robson

Default warning speed camera

Steve Walker wrote:

Deepest sympathies - the present obsession with pursuing minor motoring
offences at the expense of serious crime is little short of an outrage.
You might like to browse www.safespeed.org.uk for moral support.

I liked the sign posted in Lincolnshire (I think) where below a Police sign
saying "1233 speeders caught" the community put a sign saying "0 burglars
caught".

Old August 6th 03, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Phil Wattis

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:36:13 +0100, "Dave Dew"
wrote:

"Paul Robson" wrote in
message ...
Steve Walker wrote:

Deepest sympathies - the present obsession with pursuing minor motoring
offences at the expense of serious crime is little short of an outrage.
You might like to browse www.safespeed.org.uk for moral support.

I liked the sign posted in Lincolnshire (I think) where below a Police

sign
saying "1233 speeders caught" the community put a sign saying "0 burglars
caught".

Yes but burglars do not normally kill people whereas motorcars are
responsible for the deaths of about 3500 people annually in this country
alone.

Which is just a fraction of the deaths caused by alcohol or smoking
related illnesses. If the government spent a proportionate amount of
time and resources on those we would all be fitness fanatics.

The words 'easy targets' spring to mind.

Recently a burglar was awarded 1000ukp compensation for having his
human rights breached by the police. He refused to take part in an
identity parade, knowing full well he would be identified, so the
poilce video taped him without his knowledge and showed the tape to
the victim who duly identified him.

Go figure! But it sets an interesting presendence.

Does this mean that a speed camera photographing me without my prior
knowledge or consent is breaching my human rights?

Phil.
Old August 6th 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Steve Parry

Dave Dew wrote:
"Paul Robson" wrote
in message ...
Steve Walker wrote:

Deepest sympathies - the present obsession with pursuing minor
motoring offences at the expense of serious crime is little short
of an outrage. You might like to browse www.safespeed.org.uk for
moral support.

I liked the sign posted in Lincolnshire (I think) where below a
Police sign saying "1233 speeders caught" the community put a sign
saying "0 burglars caught".

Yes but burglars do not normally kill people whereas motorcars are
responsible for the deaths of about 3500 people annually in this
country alone. In France the figure is nearer 9000 each year. More
children are killed every year by speeding cars than in the whole of
our lives by perverts yet so many of us seem to object to the
authorities attempting to save lives. This is a problem throughout
the developed world and it will probably require the passing of this
generation before 'speeding' becomes culturally unacceptable.

Sorry you were caught Chris but let us hope it encourages the rest of
us to watch our speed.

Regards.

Dave Dew

I understand about 16000 people commit suicide each year in the UK ... if the Government was serious
about saving lives this figure has more scope than the 3500 human road kills .... but of course you
could'nt go making revenue from attempted suicides [1]

[1] someone now in the Bliar (!) Government is no doubt working on this as we speak

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://wrexhamseals.tripod.com

Old August 6th 03, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Rope

Dave Dew wittered on about:
Yes but burglars do not normally kill people whereas motorcars are
responsible for the deaths of about 3500 people annually in this country
alone. In France the figure is nearer 9000 each year. More children are
killed every year by speeding cars than in the whole of our lives by
perverts yet so many of us seem to object to the authorities attempting to
save lives. This is a problem throughout the developed world and it will
probably require the passing of this generation before 'speeding' becomes
culturally unacceptable.

Sorry you were caught Chris but let us hope it encourages the rest of us to
watch our speed.

Oh ****!
dons flack jacket, gets popcorn ready

--
Rob_P

http://www.trustgroup.com
uppercase(d) BBIWYMC#1 BOG#11? MRO#31 IBCDBBB#1(kotl)
FJ1200, CCM130 professional slacker & ferret wrangler
-------------Confusion will be my epitaph------------------

Old August 6th 03, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Champ[_2_]

wrote:

Yes but burglars do not normally kill people whereas motorcars are
responsible for the deaths of about 3500 people annually in this country
alone. In France the figure is nearer 9000 each year. More children are
killed every year by speeding cars than in the whole of our lives by
perverts yet so many of us seem to object to the authorities attempting to
save lives.

Nice use of language. In fact, more children are killed by *cars*
than perverts each year. The stats on whether those cars are speeding
are complex. Why not say "killed by inappropriately driven cars"?
--
Champ : A welcome patch of grey in a black and white world
GSX-R 1000, GPz 750 turbo, ZX-7RR Endurance Racer (nearly finished)
Old August 6th 03, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
mb

"Dave Dew" wrote in message

Yes but burglars do not normally kill people whereas motorcars are
responsible for the deaths of about 3500 people annually in this country
alone. In France the figure is nearer 9000 each year. More children are
killed every year by speeding cars than in the whole of our lives by
perverts yet so many of us seem to object to the authorities attempting to
save lives. This is a problem throughout the developed world and it will
probably require the passing of this generation before 'speeding' becomes
culturally unacceptable.

Sorry you were caught Chris but let us hope it encourages the rest of us

watch our speed.

Regards.

Dave Dew

So, what percentage of all these deaths and injuries are caused by excessive
speed?

--
Mike
FJ1200 (porky torquey)

Old August 6th 03, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Guy King

"mb" mumbled:

So, what percentage of all these deaths and injuries are caused by excessive
speed?

That depends on how you read the statistics. Anywhere between 6% and 60%.

--
Skipweasel:- There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you
want it to.

Old August 6th 03, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Steve Parry

Klaatu wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:47:18 +0100, "Steve Parry"
wrote:

Dave Dew wrote:
"Paul Robson" wrote
in message ...
Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

It's against the law I believe. They are criminals only if they
survive.

ISTR that suicide (and attempted) was decriminalised a long time ago ... if not then perhaps the
saftey nazis could use attempted suicide as another offence to harrass bikers with ;o)

Old August 6th 03, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Klaatu

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:25:27 +0100, Klaatu
wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:47:18 +0100, "Steve Parry"
wrote:

Dave Dew wrote:
"Paul Robson" wrote
in message ...
Steve Walker wrote:

I understand about 16000 people commit suicide each year in the UK ... if the Government was serious
about saving lives this figure has more scope than the 3500 human road kills .... but of course you
could'nt go making revenue from attempted suicides [1]

It's against the law I believe. They are criminals only if they
survive.

^^^^^^^

Which should have of course read "Die"

********

--
Klaatu

Gort! Deglet Ovrosco!
Old August 6th 03, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andrewr At Work

"Champ" wrote in message

SNIP

Nice use of language. In fact, more children are killed by *cars*
than perverts each year.

How may children per year are killed by perverts in cars?

--
AndrewR, D.Bot (Celeritas)
Kawasaki ZX-6R J1