warning speed camera

Old August 6th 03, 01:48 PM posted to alt.uk.law,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
f0ul

Default warning speed camera

"Steve Walker" wrote in message ...
chris wrote:
after holidaying on Anglesey recently I noticed a van parked up on
the verge of the A5 porthaethwy/menai bridge Anglesey
it was disguised as a delivery van but I noticed there was a camera
pointing out of the back I forgot all about it until I returned home
and opened my mail to discover a speeding fine 60 and 3 points .I
hold my hands up yes I must of been speeding bit annoyed as I have a
clean license and am not a fast driver any way

Deepest sympathies - the present obsession with pursuing minor motoring
offences at the expense of serious crime is little short of an outrage.
You might like to browse www.safespeed.org.uk for moral support.

What visitors to North Wales need to remember is that as an area it is
very low in real crime. Gwynedd and Anglesey together only have a
population similar to that of Warrington in Cheshire but with a
fraction of the crime level. This means they have the time to think
of ingenius ploys such as the one that caught you.

They were one of the first police forces outside London to get a
helecopter to play with. These are the same coppers who disappear
after 10pm on a weekend so they don't have to attend the domestic
arguments of the local population. Their Chief Constable thinks
speeding (travelling at say 40mph in a 30mph) is comparable to
stabbing someone (as in an act practiced by soilders for use on the
battlefield) - Can you see where the plot is going?

Basically, what North Wales needs is some proper crime to help keep
the Police busy. This will mean they will have no time to think of
ways of raising a few quid to pay for Laptops, petrol for the
helecopter and mobile speed cameras.

what are you waiting for?
Old August 6th 03, 02:42 PM posted to alt.uk.law,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Steve Walker

chris wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's going towards a transfer of resources from them to a more
needy area.

Old August 7th 03, 04:52 AM posted to alt.uk.law,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Bear[_2_]

f0ul wibbled ...

What visitors to North Wales need to remember is that

.... much nicer places are only a short drive or ride away.
--
Bear
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Bears
Old August 7th 03, 07:37 PM posted to alt.uk.law,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
gomez

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 05:52:30 +0100, Bear
dropped the following oil-slick:

f0ul wibbled ...

What visitors to North Wales need to remember is that

But I have a mission to tackle in NW. I am leaving it until
mid-September and hoping for ****ty weather [1]

[1] Low cloud cover would be nice to keep the choppers grounded too.
--
gomez
Honda VFR,KTM 640LC Enduro
Old August 7th 03, 08:37 PM posted to alt.uk.law,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
Niall

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 07:02:15 +0100, Philip Stokes
wrote:

Many detections for crime result from routine traffic stops.
Statistically, a criminal is more disposed to flout traffic regulations
just as he or she is more disposed to commit crime.

How many is "many"? I know that when Strathclyde last had a crackdown
on knives they got a 10% hit rate which they regarded as acceptable.
I.e. 9 out of 10 people they stopped had done nothing.

I know the police would dearly love to be able to set up a checkpoint
at random and shake down everybody who passed, but I don't regard that
as an acceptable method of policing in the UK.

--
Niall
Old August 29th 03, 10:35 AM posted to alt.uk.law,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.motorcycles
John[_8_]

om...

chris wrote:
after holidaying on Anglesey ....

Same thing happened to me in Hampshire. On the A27 there is a bridge at
Bursledon, on the eastern side is a 40 mph limit and about 8 or 10 signs to
say so between the M27 junction and the bridge, say half a mile.

On the other side of the Bridge although starting off as three lanes it is
only 30 mph but there is no 30 mph speed limit sign for 1.3 miles to the
next village Park Gate.

Guess which side of the bridge they put the unmarked white van?

John
www.allgadgets.co.uk