caravan kerb weights

Old October 26th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
phil stanbridge

Default caravan kerb weights

Is there any good sites that list caravan models and their weight. I have an
escort 1.8 diesel and from my calculations I can tow up to about 950 kgs.so
a link would be welcome

thanks

stan

Old October 26th 03, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"phil stanbridge" wrote in message
Is there any good sites that list caravan models and their weight. I have

an
escort 1.8 diesel and from my calculations I can tow up to about 950

kgs.so
a link would be welcome

thanks

stan

Go to www.clicreports.co.uk and follow link to kerbweights.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old October 26th 03, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

"phil stanbridge" wrote in message
Is there any good sites that list caravan models and their weight. I have

an
escort 1.8 diesel and from my calculations I can tow up to about 950

kgs.so
a link would be welcome

thanks

stan

I had an Escort 1.8TD, sold it today in fact. What they tell you you can
tow and what the car will tow comfortably are two different things. We have
an Avondale Wren, and coming home from Norfolk the other week I hardly had
the car in top gear all the way home. It was a bit windy, but not
excessively so. The car for my 'van was just about capable in good
conditions, and we were well under the 950 kgms. If memory serves me
correctly our laden weight was approximately 800 kgms. That trip decided me
something else was required as a tow car.

I now have a Volvo 740. Took the van down to the dealers for a service last
week and what a difference. Didn't know it was on there, apart from the
fuel gauge dropping like a stone! Fortunately I only drive a car about 4000
miles a year, use a motorbike if alone.

Bill

Old October 26th 03, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

The kerb weight is a measure of the car's ability to tow a caravan. The kerb
weight of your car should be detailed in the owners handbook for your car. From
this you can calculate the caravan MAXIMUM DESIGN WEIGHT that can be safely
towed by your car. That is the weight you must set as a limit when searching
through manufacturers websites for the various models available. You cannot tow
a caravan which weighs more than your cars kerb weight at speeds above 40 mph
(UK motoring law).

The MAXIMUM caravan weight is the weight as it comes plus a loading allowance.

As an example I quote the details for my own caravan.
Model: Lunar Clubman 400/2 (1992)
ex works weight (plus or minus 5%) 780kg.
maximum loading margin 255kg.
maximum design weight 1035kg.

My car can very safely cope with 1035kg as it's kerb weight is around 1450kg.
It's towing ability is excellent as it has a tuned (mechanically fuelled)
turbodiesel engine with intercooler.

A link to try is as follows:
http://www.caravan-sitefinder.co.uk/features/makers/

Good luck in your venture Stan, regards, Peter.

"phil stanbridge" wrote in message
: Is there any good sites that list caravan models and their weight. I have an
: escort 1.8 diesel and from my calculations I can tow up to about 950 kgs.so
: a link would be welcome
:
: thanks
:
: stan
:
:

Old October 26th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:59:24 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Milnes"
wrote:

You cannot tow a caravan which weighs more than your cars kerb weight at
speeds above 40 mph (UK motoring law).

Not true.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old October 27th 03, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Cove

"Peter Milnes" wrote in
:

You cannot tow
a caravan which weighs more than your cars kerb weight at speeds above
40 mph (UK motoring law).

How many times will you perpetuate this total nonsense? You have been
corrected so many times already, yet you continue.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologise. However, to get that apology you'll need to
quote a statutory instrument that shows the highway code
(http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103) to be wrong.

--
Will

Old October 27th 03, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
em

"Will Cove" wrote in message
"Peter Milnes" wrote in
:

You cannot tow
a caravan which weighs more than your cars kerb weight at speeds above
40 mph (UK motoring law).

How many times will you perpetuate this total nonsense? You have been
corrected so many times already, yet you continue.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologise. However, to get that apology you'll need to
quote a statutory instrument that shows the highway code
(http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103) to be wrong.

--
Will

I fully agree with you but the Highway code does not say anything about
towing an overweight vehicle.

Old October 27th 03, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

"em" wrote in message
"ray" wrote in message
In article , Peter Milnes peter.k.l.
writes
The kerb weight is a measure of the car's ability to tow a caravan. The

kerb
weight of your car should be detailed in the owners handbook for your

car. From
this you can calculate the caravan MAXIMUM DESIGN WEIGHT that can be

safely
towed by your car. That is the weight you must set as a limit when

searching
through manufacturers websites for the various models available. You

cannot tow
a caravan which weighs more than your cars kerb weight at speeds above

40
mph
(UK motoring law).

What a load of ******** ! Perhaps you would care to give your source for
this information - The DVLA disagree with you.
--

I read somewhere about this 40 mph limit. Do you think I can remember

where
it was................

Wasn't this the case many years ago when caravans had to display "50" signs?
In those days, you could tow any weight up to 40mph but the limit was 50mph
if the caravan mgw was less than the car kerb weight.
I believe that regulation was dropped and now all speed limits for trailers
are the same. However, the manufacturers max towing weight is now recognised
in law.
On the subject of towing weights, it is impossible to calculate the max
towing weight from the vehicle kerb weight. Eg, Landrovers can tow 3.5
tonnes.

John

John