Complete Novice, Advise Please.

Old August 8th 03, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mr Mark

Default Complete Novice, Advise Please.

I am selling up my house in the UK and going to buy something down in
Spain. I do not want to rush into buying anything in Spain, so have
decided to buy a Motorhome for the duration of my searches in Espana.
Never had a Motorhome before, just need to ask some fairly basic
questions.

1. Can I park up anywhere without breaking the law here in the UK,
france and spain.

2. What does it cost on the ferry/tunnel to take a Motorhome over the
channel.

3 I think I want one that has the cab over the top of the driving
position, any suggestion/ideas.

4. What general hints and tips can you give on buying a MH is this
price bracket.

5. Can you tell me how the toilet works in this sort of vehicle.

6. Some of the adverts I have seen in the magazines, say that some of
the MH's have a shower, is this possible? would they be hot water
shower's?

7. What sort of MPG can I expect

8. Is it better to park up in a MH park on long journeys, if so what
can I expect to pay for an overnight stay, UK France and Spain.

9. How do i protect myself against getting my MH stolen
Old August 9th 03, 03:31 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mr Mark

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:20:00 +0100, Mr Mark wrote:

[...]

Price bracket was 5-10K
Old August 9th 03, 04:46 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"Mr Mark" wrote in message
Never had a Motorhome before, just need to ask some fairly basic
questions.

I only pop in occasionally but I'll have a try!

1. Can I park up anywhere without breaking the law here in the UK,
france and spain.

Some municipal car parks have long stay areas. A lot seem to have either a
height barier or regulation signs to prevent you actually staying in the
van. Theoretically you can stay in a layby. Not pleasant . A lot have
prohibited overnight stopping and even if they dont depending on the local
areas views the police will at least attempt to move you on. There are nice
off road spots but you have to search them out and be prepared to be ready
to move off early am. I believe its a lot better in Europe but as so far
him in doors wont budge someone else will have to enlighten you. This site
has info http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/

2. What does it cost on the ferry/tunnel to take a Motorhome over the
channel.

This might give you an idea. http://www.ferrytickets.net/ Also try the
ferrys web sites for up to date prices.

4. What general hints and tips can you give on buying a MH is this
price bracket. (Price bracket was 5-10K)

Pray??? Theres not a lot under 10k in any of the dealerships we looked at.
I think if you are planning to live in one albeit short term I think you
might have to up the anti a bit. The condition of the campers in that price
range might fall foul of European regulations so I would look into minimum
standards carefully before you buy. Also if you're not planning on coming
back you might want a left hand drive.

5. Can you tell me how the toilet works in this sort of vehicle.

The basic is a small porta potti type. With limited waste and fresh tanks
all in one. Next up are the cassette ones ( slide out to empty tank) where
you top up the clean water into the flush section when you empty out.
Adding a decomposer/deodoriser to the waste and a flush agent to the clean.

Ours is a cassette type with waste hatch on the outside of the camper. It
takes water from the on board water tanks (underneath) to flush the loo.
Much like at home only you have to empty the cassette daily usually. This
is a decent size etc and probably the common type on the 4 +berths vans.

The big american ones and some fancy new others have a proper "septic" tank
which is pumped out via large hose into specially provided "drains". Not
all sites have facilities for these yet.

6. Some of the adverts I have seen in the magazines, say that some of
the MH's have a shower, is this possible? would they be hot water
shower's?

Ours is a 10yr old Pullman 6 (berth ) which is comfortable for 2 adults and
2 dogs. Its got blown air fully automatic gas central heating and hot and
cold running water ( gas water heater)at sink and in the combined shower
room/ basin/wc. In about 3 years it might be just about in your price range
to give you an idea.

7. What sort of MPG can I expect

Depends on the engine and size . Too many variables. If you took the
mileage for a used van that the camper is based on and deducted a third for
the extra weight you probably would have a reasonable idea.

8. Is it better to park up in a MH park on long journeys, if so what
can I expect to pay for an overnight stay, UK

Well its nicer and theres safety in numbers. I like the electric hook up as
well, though we rarely use the shower blocks as we like our own. Again it
depends when, where and for how many.

9. How do i protect myself against getting my MH stolen

Price bracket was 5-10K

We find 2 dogs quite a help. An imobilizers good. An alarm with a warning
sticker can be a deterrent. Some people use wheel clamps and steering bars
( got to be the insurance rated ones I think really). Visible window number
plater etching.

At home a raisable spike that locks into place in front of the camper, but
theres been some press about determined gangs with compressed air cutters
( like the firemen use) cutting straight through them . But I think they
are after the better vans.

HTH

)

Old August 9th 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
3A Web Hosting

Hi

price bracket. (Price bracket was 5-10K)

Pray??? Theres not a lot under 10k in any of the dealerships we looked at.
I think if you are planning to live in one albeit short term I think you
might have to up the anti a bit. The condition of the campers in that price

Why pay more? Why go to a dealer? If all he wants to do is drive to
Spain, look around and then get rid of it why not get a 'disposable'
motorhome? Looking around my local Adtrader there's a selection of
coachbuilts well within the 10k range starting with a Merc at 3700.

range might fall foul of European regulations so I would look into minimum

Mine's a real old banger (1984 Bedford CF coachbuilt) and I can't find
any problems with taking it to Europe.

Sorry if I seem a bit 'odd' but motorhomers are definitely getting more
and more 'you have to spend at least 30,000 to get a basic model' type
people.

--
Colin

3A Web Hosting Team
http://www.3awebhosting.co.uk
Old August 9th 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

Here's one you might like to consider:

http://www.wellhouseleisure.com/well...ck/uk_euro.htm

1978/T-reg Bedford CF Hymer 2.3 manual, 4 berth A-class, drop down bed,
toilet, shower, fridge, hob, fully fitted, part ex bargain to clear 4250.

Yes, its an oldie, but Hymers are well-built German vans. Its reasonably
priced and its got all the facilities for getting you down to Spain. When
you've found a place down there, then just sell it.

Hi

Old August 11th 03, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gary Cavanagh

Look at buying a camper in Germany It will be thousands of pounds cheaper,
left hand drive which if you predominantly going to use it in Spain it will
be better to have LHD and when you finished with it you can sell it in the
UK at a profit. follow the links below for a classified ad. Webb site and a
Hymar for under 3000

http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/searchP...womo&sprache=2

http://www.mobile.de/SID.emx1OZwEAjF...0051& top=11&