Citroen C5

Old October 26th 03, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary Lewis

Default Citroen C5

Thinking of buying a C5, had a Xantia a while ago. Would it be OK for a
1300kg van.Would estate or saloon be best?

Old October 26th 03, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Gary Lewis" wrote in message
Thinking of buying a C5, had a Xantia a while ago. Would it be OK for a
1300kg van.Would estate or saloon be best?

Gary the C5 maximum towing weight varies depending on what model between
1000kgs and 1500kgs. The automatic having lower tow weights than manuals,
although this is fairly normal for most makes. The diesel is by far the best
option and they have tow weights of between 1400 and 1500 kgs in manual
form. I have a Xantia with the 110hp HDi engine and it makes a fine tow car.
My current van is not as heavy as your van but my new van will be heavier. I
quite like the look of the 2.2 Hdi Estate.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old October 26th 03, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Gary Lewis" wrote in message
Thinking of buying a C5, had a Xantia a while ago. Would it be OK for a
1300kg van.Would estate or saloon be best?

Recently drove an 1800 petrol version from southern Spain to UK midlands.
Car was almost new but had suffered incessant computer faults. Complete
failure in middle of Spain and had a new computer installed under warranty.
There's a guy on uk.rec.motoring who has a three month old C5 automatic and
wants his money back.
Nice when they're running well ( a rare event).
Not as good as my old Xantia.
DaveK.

Old October 26th 03, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Note what Which? states in its' 2003/2004 Which? Car Report about the C5:

"Little more than two years since it was launched, and already the C5 is
riddled with faulty parts and annoying problems."

The C5 also has probably the highest depreciation of any car in its' class.

A friend of mine has a top-of-the-range C5 and bitterly regrets his decision
to purchase. It has been off the road for numerous electrical problems -
frequently for lengthy periods while parts are being sought.

It's up to you. I'm sure if you happen to get a reliable one you will be
pleased with it - but is it worth the gamble when there are so many more
capable and reliable cars on the market?

Kev

Old October 26th 03, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Further to the below comments. If you do a Google search on 'Citroen C5' the
first web-site listed is that of a disgruntled owner who also has had more
than his fair share of problems! You have been warned!

Kev

Old October 26th 03, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:43:52 -0000, "DaveK" wrote:

"Gary Lewis" wrote in message
Thinking of buying a C5, had a Xantia a while ago.

Nice when they're running well ( a rare event).

As a former owner of an (elderly) BX, I'd be inclined to agree. When
it worked, my Citroen was a wonderful pieces of machinery.
Unfortunately it often didn't.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old October 26th 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

There's a guy on uk.rec.motoring who has a three month old C5 automatic

and
wants his money back.

Sorry, it's actually uk.legal
DaveK.

Old October 27th 03, 05:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

Gary Lewis wrote:
Thinking of buying a C5, had a Xantia a while ago. Would it be OK for
a 1300kg van.Would estate or saloon be best?

Due their huge carrying capacity we had three CX estates during the
eighties. I am sad to see that some Citroen traditions haven't changed.
You either love them for their design or hate them because they let you down
at the wrong moment - it was always while we were on holiday.

Old October 27th 03, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

The C5 also has probably the highest depreciation of any car in its'
class.

Check out Auto Trader for C5. Quite recent cars going very cheap. That tells
you something.
Apparently one model has no less than nineteen computers on board.
And what about duplex wiring with multifunctions? What complications when
connecting a trailer wiring kit.
DaveK.

Old October 27th 03, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gazza

"Gary Lewis" wrote in message ...
Thinking of buying a C5, had a Xantia a while ago. Would it be OK for a
1300kg van.Would estate or saloon be best?

HI Gary,

I have a Citroen C5 2.0HDI 110HP LX which I have had now for about 6
months. It was a pre-registered 52 reg car, 6 months old when I bought
it but with only 7 miles on the clock....got a substantial discount on
it and 0% finance. So far the only problems I've had with the car are
:-

1) cracked oil sump...becuase I hit an exhaust that fell off the big
van in front on the motorway...had no choice but to go over it, but it
was a large chunk of metal and it did a bit of damage. My own fault
for driving too close I guess.

2) Broken plastic undertray, caused by my wife nosing the car into a
car parking space and over a kerb that was too high for the car.

Other than that, it has been a fantastic car!

We towed our Elddis Hurricane (1100Kgs) van from Scotland to Wales and
then on a tour of Southern Ireland over 2 weeks this summer, and it
did not faulter once. In fact, it was easy to forget that the van was
there. I had more power going up hills than my father-in-law did with
his 2.8TD motorhome! We also got better mpg than we used to get solo
with our Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.7V6 petrol 4X4 (We traded it in for the
Citroen because we couldn't justify the 60/week petrol bill just for
going to work every week!!).

Had some stability problems early on, but the expertise of the folks
on this group helped to sort that out, and it was more to do with the
paint on the towball, and the noseweight of the van than anything to
do with the car. They are a bit wobbly in the wind though...but then
every Citroen I've ever owned has been like that (ZX 1.9TD, XM 2.1TD,
Xsara 1.8i16v VTR)

Perhaps I'm just a Citroen freak, but I think it is a very good car
for the money I paid.

Hope that helps

Garry